PDA

View Full Version : Common & Spare Parts

PistolMan
09-16-2012, 04:35 AM
I have both the CM9 and the CW9. Both great pistols. Looking for a list of common parts between the CW9 and the CM9. What parts are recommended to keep on-hand as a spare parts kit?

Looks like all the parts are the same except for the Frame, Barrel, Slide and Recoil Spring. Is that correct?

As far as spare parts, here is what I was thinking:
#5 Recoil Spring - Different for both models (CM9 $23.10, CW9 $8.80)
# 20 Striker - Same for both?? ($16.50)
# 22 Striker Spring - Same for both?? ($6.60)
# 24 Extractor - Same for both?? ($15.40)
#26 Extractor Spring - Same for both?? ($6.60)
#36 Magazine Spring - Different for both models ($12.10 x2)

Total $101.20 in spare parts to support both models.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

yqtszhj
09-16-2012, 06:49 AM
I would get the recoil springs and magazine springs for each and spend the rest of the cash on ammo myself. Most of the other stuff should hold up pretty well anyway.

wyntrout
09-16-2012, 08:04 AM
These are only MY OPINIONS and I’ll make this pretty general as I might see about making this a “sticky”... maybe under Kahr Tech or the Newcomers sub-forum.

Kahr is very good and quick to replace things that break or fly off the pistol under warranty… or even out of warranty sometimes, but some spares are nice to have on hand to keep your pistol in service. An email to service@kahr.com with a clear picture of the problem will generally get quick assistance. Always include the model and the serial number of the pistol. You don’t have to say if you bought it used.

To start with, you have the striker and recoil springs reversed. I just put Wolff's 5-lb striker springs in my P380 and PM9. There have been no adverse reports of using the lighter springs. Wolff sells these in 3, 5 & 10 packs. All of their springs are cheaper and they sell packages with discounts for the more you buy.

Wolff also sells recoil spring packages with complete assemblies or test packages with varying weights of recoil springs for several Kahrs. They don’t sell springs for all of the Kahrs, though, namely the .45’s and the P380’s. Maybe Kahr asked them to stop before they marketed all of the models’ springs. I don’t know. I’ve requested that Wolff supply those, but they haven’t, and several years have passed.

I've decided that it's worth having spares for the things that have flown off or broken on my pistols. The nut on the front of my PM45's recoil rod/assembly flew off at the range. Kahr sent me another whole recoil assembly. But I hate to waste anything and made a nut from a stainless one by chucking it and the rod in a drill and filing down the corners. That assembly is a spare now. http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3934
(http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3934)

(http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3934)
The extractor on my PM9 flew off at the range. Kahr sent me another one, as well as the front and rear pins and the spring.

The slide lock spring on my PM45 cracked in two. This was # 2 after the first one was so warped and bent. Insertion of that pin incorrectly can cause this important pin to be damaged and result in several kinds of malfunctions. Watch the Take Down video at Kahr.com. PM9… there’s one for each pistol, but the polymers are pretty much the same: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp Kahr emphasizes the insertion of this pin. I have spare springs as well as the screws and washers for my polymer Kahrs.

The magazine catch on my second P380 failed... the bearing surface of the catch that locks the magazine into place was too soft and the edge "rolled". Kahr sent me a replacement catch. I only have a spare for my P40 as I thought I might have a problem with the original, but the problem was elsewhere and I fixed it.

Outer recoil springs for the captive spring recoil assemblies are good and Kahr suggests replacement around 1,500 rounds, or when you perceive a problem. The inner is a tough one to replace as the nut on the end is supposed to be permanently attached. Kahr considers the whole assembly one part and sells replacements accordingly. It’s widely accepted to just replace the outer spring… much cheaper.

I get my recoil springs and magazine springs at Wolff’s http://www.gunsprings.com . They make Kahr's springs and sell most of them more cheaply. Read their F.A.Q.'s on springs: http://www.gunsprings.com/faq some people haven't a clue about the "set" a spring takes under compression, making it shorter, and want to shorten the new spring! This is taken into consideration in the design. Coil count is important and new springs will be longer before being used for a while. Some pistols have been redesigned a bit and the springs are different in length and coil count. Some owners have received the wrong springs… repeatedly. Coil count is paramount and in a pinch the longer NEW spring with a higher coil count can be trimmed by coil count, not length, to fit.

I don’t think that I’ve heard of a striker spring “breaking”, but they can be lost as any of the small parts can. We couldn’t find the extractor at the indoor range… and that was on my EDC for the day, so I plan to have that spare part and its pins and spring for each pistol in my range bag. I’ve not had any side plate screws loosen or fall out, but those might be good spares to have.

So a quick list:
Recoil springs… outer, at least, with captive spring assemblies. I only use the standard weights, so far.

Slide lock spring, washer and screw for each pistol. A proper-sized Torx BIT for carefully tightening the steel screw into POLYMER threads. Don’t over-tighten and strip the screws… you might need a NEW frame! Don’t use Loctite and the like on polymer/plastic. The bond is stronger than the material and you could have a bigger problem as high heat and high torque are needed to break good bonds! Threaded unions on most applications and types of Loctite/Permatex threadlockers are considered “permanent”. Don’t just use RED or the Green on everything.

Magazine springs, followers, and base plate kits, as desired. Magazine springs will last virtually forever, even in loaded/compressed state. I’ve replaced a lot of mine with Wolff’s +5% ones and have packs of spares… cheaper. I wouldn’t replace them until I thought I was having a problem. I like having a lot of magazines and would advise AT LEAST 3, in order to maximize the chance of having two for carry including a reload. I carry the flushest fitting magazine in the pistol for max concealment, but I carry the largest capacity magazine with extended-grip for a “high-capacity” carry reload and for the range or home defense.

Extractors… I’ve added those to the list, as well as the springs and pins with attention to keeping the count down on parts that are exchangeable. On the extractors, Jay at Kahr Service said the extractors are different, but the springs and pins are common with the exception of the P380's smaller set and the PM45's rear pin being larger.

Magazine catches… I’ve only had the one P380 with a bad one, so I’m not going to carry those.

This is not an inclusive list and you may decide that more or less items are needed, as will others, but this is what I consider to be a decent start on spare parts inventory based on my own experience.

Again, these are only my opinions.

Wynn:)

jocko
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I have both the CM9 and the CW9. Both great pistols. Looking for a list of common parts between the CW9 and the CM9. What parts are recommended to keep on-hand as a spare parts kit?

Looks like all the parts are the same except for the Frame, Barrel, Slide and Recoil Spring. Is that correct?

As far as spare parts, here is what I was thinking:
#5 Recoil Spring - Different for both models (CM9 $23.10, CW9 $8.80)
# 20 Striker - Same for both?? ($16.50)
# 22 Striker Spring - Same for both?? ($6.60)
# 24 Extractor - Same for both?? ($15.40)
#26 Extractor Spring - Same for both?? ($6.60)
#36 Magazine Spring - Different for both models ($12.10 x2)

Total $101.20 in spare parts to support both models.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

ur call but IMO buy recoil springs and a few spare mag springs and leave the rest of that stuff at Kahr and buy if needed. Their service is fast, letthem stock the stuff, that more than likely ur never gonna need. Again ur call,but seems like alot of wasted bucks..

Barth
09-16-2012, 08:42 AM
ur call but IMO buy recoil springs and a few spare mag springs and leave the rest of that stuff at Kahr and buy if needed. Their service is fast, letthem stock the stuff, that more than likely ur never gonna need. Again ur call,but seems like alot of wasted bucks..

+1
I have several RSAs and that's about it.
Kahr has gotten me parts fast when I needed them...

I prefer having spare guns.

wyntrout
09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Me, too, but sometimes people might want their only pistol... or their favorite... back into action quicker than a week or so wait on parts... especially in the case of a one and only "C" model's magazine failing!:eek:

SOME people like spare barrels, too... a lot of them!

Wynn:D

JFootin
09-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Get a 3 pack of the 5 lb striker springs. You can use 2 in your guns and save the original springs, so you'll still have 3 spares that you most probably won't ever use. Jocko has over 32,000 rounds through his PM9 with the 5 lb spring in it, and I guess he still has the 7 lb one.

Barth
09-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Me, too, but sometimes people might want their only pistol... or their favorite... back into action quicker than a week or so wait on parts... especially in the case of a one and only "C" model's magazine failing!:eek:

SOME people like spare barrels, too... a lot of them!

I always have spare mags for my guns.
Have overnight-ed a slide stop spring from Kahr when I needed one.
and Owwwwww.

tv_racin_fan
09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't really have spare parts for the most part. Ok so well I do have some spare nipples for a couple cap lock firearms and I do have a couple flints for the flintlock and I do have some springs that I took out of a couple handguns when I swapped to different weight springs. But I don't have a spare striker or guide rod or anything like that.

What I do have however is a spare handgun. So if say something on my K9 breaks I can just reach in my box and HEY LOOK!!?! a spare K9. Or if say something were to happen to the wifes SP101 she can just bat the eyelashes and have mine until I can get hers fixed.

wyntrout
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
I always have spare mags for my guns.
Have overnight-ed a slide stop spring from Kahr when I needed one.
and Owwwwww.

Just a small poke... :) Is it Barth 8-Barrels now??

This economy and my wife being laid off a few months now are crimping my hobby expenditures... and I have more than one! She keeps asking "Have we won the lottery?"

I even sold a pistol that I took for trade at a recent gun show. That covered her P380... which she still hasn't shot, though she has a lot of time on her hands these days.:rolleyes:

Dang! I need to order the spare parts that I've decided on. I have quite a spare spring supply from Wolff, but I want to cover any possible extractor departures in the future. Stuff happens!

Barth
09-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Just a small poke... :) Is it Barth 8-Barrels now??

Yup, 8-Barrels I've purchased.
Actually have an additional, free, OEM barrel and slide for my P220
from the gunsmith debacle several months ago.

You guys memory is really disturbing...

MikeyKahr
09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Some of us have nothing better to do than keep count of other guy's barrels. :screwy:

Charlie
09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Here's a different angle, buy and exact model in the exact kalabar or as the English spell it, calibre.

wyntrout
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I finally ordered all of the Kahr parts I wanted tonight... abot $106 and some change, including USPS Priority Mail.

Planedude
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Only spares I keep are bullits...:D

And spare guns. I always have one gun or another "in work". Currently I'm working up a Taurus PT1911 for carry and my 2026 S&W awaiting parts for repair.

wyntrout
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
YUP! Got lots of those... AND spare pistols. I want to be able to keep my favorites going if something breaks or flies off. I know Kahr will send replacements, but that takes a week or so!

muggsy
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't buy spare parts. I buy spare guns. One can never have too, many.

Bawanna
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't buy spare parts. I buy spare guns. One can never have too, many.

Wish I could get my wife to believe that. She's convinced I have too many, acting like a gosh darn dem. Kind of quiet which is nice.

I offered to buy her a embroidery computer program 1500 bucks. I always say yes, she nearly always says no in a round about fashion.

If I want it bad enough I find a way.

jocko
09-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ur charm is probalby what has got u where u are today. Just sayin. No doubt if u were in need this forum would step right up and bail u out.A BUT please don;t test us.

Ol jocko would give u the shirt off his back, as it has been on my back now for 13 days, so it can hold its own, but I would part with it,just for u ol friend of mine.:popcorn:

Bawanna
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
ur charm is probalby what has got u where u are today. Just sayin. No doubt if u were in need this forum would step right up and bail u out.A BUT please don;t test us.

Ol jocko would give u the shirt off his back, as it has been on my back now for 13 days, so it can hold its own, but I would part with it,just for u ol friend of mine.:popcorn:

Thanks for being there Jocko. I knew about the shirt. You greasy bikers do seem to share that common denominator, sorry that was a little techy, you greasy bikers are all alike.

jocko
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
now a goldwhiner would offer u his riding flip flops. Just sayin.