PDA

View Full Version : New Member/New CM9/Range report

Cycletroll
09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey gang, thought I would say hello as I am new to Kahrtalk.

I have been an avid shooter and reloader for about 20 years and have my NM CCW. I have owned and carried many pistols but was looking for a nice flat small 9mm to supplement my usual S&W 340 Centenial that is my lightweight carry when not carrying a Glock 19 or 32. I owned a stainless K40 back in the mid 90's but never really bonded with it.
Fast forward almost 20 years and the CM9/PM9 guns really seemed the best overall design for me for front pocket carry. I went ahead and bought the CM after much research and fondling of the two variants.

So what do I think?

After two initial range efforts here is my experience:

1st outing: 100 rounds of various target loads; about 50 rounds of Geco Swiss 124gr fmj and about 50 of a hand load 124gr moly FP over Longshot (probably 950fps out of the CM9). Also 6 rounds of 147gr Federal HST. All loads cycled great and shoot to point of aim. Very surprising how accurtate and easy to shoot this gun is. The HST made one ragged hole at 7 yes offhand.

2nd outing: Today extended session with chronograph results. Let me preface this with my amazement that every round cycled and every load was more than adequately accurate. My only issue was slightly riding the slide stop (I have big hands) causing the slide not to lock back on last round. easily corrected with attention to where I put my strong hand thumb.

Chrono results (6 shot strings 5900ft 58 degrees F):

-124gr berry PFP w 3.9gr Universal: 944fps (very soft load; brass 1' right)

-147gr Federal HST: 898fps (very accurate and soft shooting)

-Winchester Ranger Talon 127gr +p+(RA9TA): 1131fps (sd of 6fps!) a bit snappy but easily controllable even 1 handed . Was able to put 7 rounds rapidfire into a paper plate at 10 yards easily.

Winchester 147gr Bonded (RA9B): 887 (5fps sd!) quite accurate and very easy shooting.

Federal 115gr +p+ (9BPLE): 1158fps By far the snappiest load out of the CM9 but still quite controllable and scary accurate. Was able to routinely hit a Coke can offhand at 40 yards. I tend to prefer heavy for caliber but this is a serious contender for my carry load.

Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot: 1093fps. A bit slower than the 127gr Ranger but probably more reliable expansion. Fairly sedate to shoot; decently accurate. Can't go wrong with Gold Dots in any flavor.

Summary: Damn I like this little gun! It is perplexing to me that a gun this small is so easy to shoot well. It handles even hot +p+ loads. Today I shot a little over 200 rounds including 25-30 rounds of each premium hollow point listed above and had 100% reliability. Gun shows no sign of wear and tear from the hot loads and threw brass from 3 to 8 feet.

In short: Kahr has a home run in the pocket pistol category as far as I'm concerned :)

I will continue to post my experience as I carry and shoot this fabulous pocket rocket. Will also post some penetration and expansion test on the premium stuff as I get around to testing them out of the short barrel.

Bill K
09-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk.

What a great range report. Glad to read you're please with the gun. Thanks for sharing.

Yogi 117
09-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Great report on the various ammunition. I, like you, have a new CM9, but due to rifle site-in service at my gun club on weekends, I haven't been to the range yet. Going to try tomorrow after work for my initial range time. Hope mine runs as smoothly as yours did for you. :D

jocko
09-16-2012, 04:31 PM
nice report, very thourgh to. welcome .

Cycletroll
09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks everybody!

Have been a lurker here for some time; glad to have entered the fold ;)

JFootin
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the forum! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

You may know about the Coach and his kydex holsters from the Glock forum. He has found a great reception here, too. My favorite carry holster for my CM9 is the PJ Holster IWB with Over the Belt Clip (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). I'm a lefty and I wear it at about 8:00-8:30, where it is so comfortable that I cannot feel it or the gun there. It becomes one with my body, doesn't shift around when I move and so it just vanishes from my perception. I literally have to reach back there and touch the gun to know it is still there! Oh, and Coach Paul is a great guy to do business with. :yo:

JFootin
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
BTW, you should add your original post to this sticky thread:
Kahr PM and CM Series Positive Feedback - Post Yours! (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13168)

pocket pistol
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I love it... Welcome to the club.