PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Reset Noob Question

Knight92
09-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Okay quick disclaimer I have not shot a pistol other than my Kahr. :o

I was looking at purchasing a full size pistol for home use, and well just to have a full size pistol.

So here is the questions I hear a lot about a quick trigger reset, how do you reset the reset, when you insert a new mag after a slide lock back? How much difference does a quick trigger reset make in reality when shooting?

The reason I ask is I was thinking of picking up the PPQ but the reported .1" reset bothers/scares me a bit to be honest. The other options could be an XD, M&P, FNS, or possibly a Caracal, or Steyer.

Please educate me, oh and unfortunately when I check with the range three weeks ago they did not have one I could rent.

Thanks for your input

Bawanna
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Ok, I waited 3 minutes and non of the resident experts came thru, where the heck is everybody.

Reset is simply how far you have to release the trigger before you can pull it again and fire the next round.

Kahr is like a revolver, you have to let it all the way out and start over.

Glocks are considerably less and others vary.

Many get really hung up on reset and they want to feel it when it resets. Shorter the reset the faster the multiple shots.
One needs to be considerably more careful with short resets in some aspects. If you adhere to the keep your finger off the trigger till your ready to shoot it isn't a big deal.

Reset can be confused with trigger pull length also. Kahr has a long travel or pull, very safe. A Glock or a 1911 has a very short pull and you better watch that trigger finger at all times.

jocko
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
are u saying that the trigger reset on a kahr is to long???? If not then consider the K9 or T9 all stainless kahrs.

If the slide islocked open andu nsert a mag, then when u release the slide the trigger will reset on all guns, now if one brand has a 1/2 jor 1/4" trigger pull then the reset should be the same, in that I ean ur gonna hav e to let up on the triggert for it to reset. No different than a DA revolver. If u don't let up on the trigger it will not cycle correctly. Not sure maybe I am on the same train as u, so exccuse me if I misunderstand what ur asking.

Bawanna
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
The reset on the K9 and T9 are the same as the PM or any other Kahr. You gotta let it go all the way out and start over.

Take your empty Glock and pull the trigger and hold it down, then rack the slide with the trigger still down, now let go real slow and when you hear and feel the click, you can pull it again. Don't have to let it go very much to reset.

CJB
09-17-2012, 05:58 PM
I hear a lot about a quick trigger reset, how do you reset the reset, when you insert a new mag after a slide lock back?

How much difference does a quick trigger reset make in reality when shooting?

Welcome. This is all a bit of "measured in" quality. Don't let it boggle your mind.

Back in the very old days, we had the Walther P38 which was double/single action, and had a very long reset... almost all the way forward as I recall, then slack backward until it contacted the single action notch on the hammer. Your finger would have to get used to how it worked. The later Walther PP series did better. The P1 and P5 didn't do much better... essentially P38's reworked. The Smith 39/59 series was a bit of a very long reset. So much for old DA/SA pistols. For SA only, we had the 1911 - very short reset, and the Browning HP, which had a fairly long reset for a single action only pistol.

In the more modern world, almost all DA/SA triggers have shorter resets (Sig for example) but are still longer than the SA only, or some of the striker fired triggers (Glock for instance). Kahr has a reset like a nice double action revolver.

The whole thing with reset - to me - only matters if you're trying to compete, or do some sort of fancy drill shooting for practical defense. For all the rest of us, we learn our pistols well, shoot them reasonably well, and the reset doesn't amount to a hill of beans difference. All that slow-motion trigger finger "testing" at gun shops and shows, by all the self styled experts of pistolcraft... amuses me. I'm sure some of those guys can shoot well. I'm also sure some of them cant hit a bull in the ass with a plank board.

Find a pistol you like. Shop online after you decide what you want. Support your local shop if at all possible. Get what feels comfy for you.

The FNP, FNX series is an absolutely great series of full size pistols btw.

ltxi
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Just envision the Kahr as a mag fed revolver with a good out of the box trigger.

Knight92
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I love the trigger on my Kahr very much and if they made a double stack I would pick up one of those.

I had never shot a, I guess double stack would be a better term, pistol and was wandering about the reset.

Thanks for the all the info, even though I had to read Jocko's post three or four times to make sense of it ;)

The .1" reset of the PPQ then really would not make a difference and I should not be scared or bothered with/about it.

And CJB I liked the FNS but have a hard time finding there around here I need to check gallery of guns.

wyntrout
09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
I like my XD45 Tactical "cannon"...huge, but 13+1 rounds of .45 and never a malfunction in the maybe 800 rounds or so my son and I have fired. It has a long sighting plane and you CAN get Trijicon HD night sights for it as I did:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10232&highlight=XD45+Tactical

Wynn:)

muggsy
09-18-2012, 06:11 AM
IMHO, trigger reset is of no real importance unless it doesn't. :) The trigger on my gun resets during recoil, long before my sights have aligned for the next shot. Trigger reset occurs in a micro second and I don't even notice it. I'm concentrating on my target. During a SHTF incident I doubt that anyone notices trigger reset.

FLBri
09-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Just envision the Kahr as a mag fed revolver with a good out of the box trigger.

This is exactly why I prefer Kahrs by brand. I started with revolvers and found the Kahr design to be the best blend of both platforms .... the trigger was the best DA trigger I have found.

340pd
09-18-2012, 07:18 AM
You ask a really good question. I shoot all types of semi autos. Trigger control is a very important aspect of accuracy. I do find it easier to work with a longer double action type of trigger action because it gives me the opportunity to take up some slack when recovering from the previous shot. If you have a light trigger with a short reset that can cause a premature shot that, for me, usually winds up high right.
In a real world, one should probably sell everything you own and buy all one brand of handgun and work with that platform for consistency. Lot's of guys on the Glock & M&P forums have done just that. I carry a Kahr PM9, 340PD snubbie, or a Seecamp 100% of the time. All those guns have a similar trigger feel and I am comfortable carrying any of them. My PM9 is by far the easiest to shoot accurately at 30'

The only exception to the above is the M&P Shield I bought. If you are accustomed to a typical striker fired short reset trigger system, and like a small carry gun, get one of these. Maybe the best in it's class for that style trigger system.
Just my 2¢

tv_racin_fan
09-18-2012, 12:03 PM
My K9 resets at about 2/3 release. Guess I should check the wifes CW9 but as I recall it is about the same.

jocko
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
My K9 resets at about 2/3 release. Guess I should check the wifes CW9 but as I recall it is about the same.

it should be the same.

jocko
09-18-2012, 02:38 PM
evecars drie differently, motorcycles for sure drive differently. One adapts, normally not an issue for most either. Ihave shoot all types of semi's kand to be honest that trigger rest stuff never bothered me one bit. I have always rleased up on a trigger, just a natural thing for me. no mnd set need totell me that. I just do it. Ur gonna definitely doit with a wheelgun in DA mode and one just never thinks about it.

But that being said sometimes that is why we see used guns in cases. The owner just never cuddledup to it and I don't mean just kahrs either..

yup indeed a good question . no good answer for some, for others like me, just doesnt matter ..