PDA

View Full Version : NYPD and Their Kahr K9 Pistols

Captain38
03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
The NYPD reportedly had what they thought were serious problems with the Kahr K9 pistols a couple of years ago which ultimately led the department to remove them from their approved handguns list.

Exactly what were those supposed problems and what efforts did Kahr make in attempting to resolve them?

Vinikahr
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
The NYPD reportedly had what they thought were serious problems with the Kahr K9 pistols a couple of years ago which ultimately led the department to remove them from their approved handguns list.

Exactly what were those supposed problems and what efforts did Kahr make in attempting to resolve them?

Good question.
I am patiently waiting for the gurus to answer this one.
And Welcome to the board!

T.Webb
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm waiting also. And, I currently own one of those very guns.

hsart
03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
My understanding is that there was no official statement as to the problems that was issued by either Kahr or NYPD. I may be wrong on this but would like to know as well. I have heard various rumors - all unsubstantiated. You would think that Kahr would have issued a statement to totally and finally resolve any future concerns regarding the K9.

JodyH
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
NYPD requested a longer trigger pull (1/2" instead of 3/8") these pistol eventually had problems with the trigger not resetting.
To my knowledge this has not been a problem for standard 3/8" trigger pull K9's, just the NYPD mongrel guns.

fnforme
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I recall reading a long thread in another forum some time ago in which the someone from NYPD had posted that the guns were experiencing all kinds of parts breakages and jams.

This is hard to believe for me because my daily carry gun is a K9 NYPD spec. It has been utterly reliable through over 1000 rds so far. FWIW, NYPD seems to experience problems with guns at a higher rate than most. It seems a little fishy. Perhaps politics to push for the adoption of another gun due to financial concerns?

hsart
03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I recall reading a long thread in another forum some time ago in which the someone from NYPD had posted that the guns were experiencing all kinds of parts breakages and jams.

This is hard to believe for me because my daily carry gun is a K9 NYPD spec. It has been utterly reliable through over 1000 rds so far. FWIW, NYPD seems to experience problems with guns at a higher rate than most. It seems a little fishy. Perhaps politics to push for the adoption of another gun due to financial concerns?
I agree. From everything I have read on the subject, I would bet that the NYPD decision had internal political/financial overtones, though they apparently went through a lengthy review process before deciding on the K9. Never made much sense.

jocko
03-17-2010, 02:48 PM
karh is in the process of getting the K9 re approved. Have no idea why it was dropped out of the NYPD off duty list. Lots of politics in NYPD guys, you all know that. there has never been ever any instances of any k9 breaking etc and the 1/2" longer trigger system is still in the NYPD K( being sold today,s o I ain['t buying the trigger system as athe culprit either. It is as good a "working" system ad the 3/8" pull.

I have a friend whose wife is a police officer in the syracuse NY area and her two backup guns are the P380 and PM9, ...

T.Webb
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I spoke to a retired NYPD "armorer" today, and he said that NYPD dictated the gun be made with a certain trigger pull and when it was made to spec, they then just didn't like it.

Other than that, he said there was nothing wrong with the gun.

Well, I just spoke to someone at Kahr about another issue. while on the phone, I took a minute to ask him. He said that the NYPD spec'd the gun with a 7 lb. trigger spring. After the gun "wore in' the trigger lightened up to 5 lbs. No good for the NYPD.

mbv6988
06-16-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a new K9 and had to buy it with the dang NYPD trigger because thats the only way the blackened stainless comes as far as I know. I didnt want the NYPD trigger, but gave it a try during the 200rd break in. I didnt like it and thought it was too long. I sent it to Kahr and had the "Elite Trigger Upgrade" installed and now I like it a lot better. It should have come that way in the first place. Why would Kahr do a tribute trigger to LE in a state thats anti-gun???

jocko
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a new K9 and had to buy it with the dang NYPD trigger because thats the only way the blackened stainless comes as far as I know. I didnt want the NYPD trigger, but gave it a try during the 200rd break in. I didnt like it and thought it was too long. I sent it to Kahr and had the "Elite Trigger Upgrade" installed and now I like it a lot better. It should have come that way in the first place. Why would Kahr do a tribute trigger to LE in a state thats anti-gun???

only difference between the NYPD trigger and the elite is 1/8". I have it in my K9 and can't tell the difference in it compared to my PM9. NYPD striker spring is exactly the same as the elite spring i your gun now also.

glad you like the elite in your K9 but personally I think your make a big nothing out of a nothing also..

jocko
06-16-2010, 05:09 PM
t. webb;;Well, I just spoke to someone at Kahr about another issue. while on the phone, I took a minute to ask him. He said that the NYPD spec'd the gun with a 7 lb. trigger spring. After the gun "wore in' the trigger lightened up to 5 lbs. No good for the NYPD.

I really don't buy that either, being most every striker fired gun works the same way, I would think then that glocks, or others would also loose poundage the same way. Sometimes when one asks a question to a factory person, instead of that person who really doesn't have a clue as to the answer come sup with something totally off the wall.

Not doubting you either, just saying that IMO that is pure BS.

10Kahrs
06-16-2010, 06:55 PM
The NYPD can F*%^K up any gun. They would put a 20lb trigger pull if they could

hsart
06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone know how many NYPD K9's were made? Seems like it could become a rarity some day.

nwohsy
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM
The NYPD 'Kahr Remediation' was all about the weight of the trigger pull. The guns were not breaking and they were not unsafe. There may have been something leaked about breakage or worn springs needing replacing at some ridiculous interval, but it was all propaganda by NYPD politics. The Glock with a NY-2 trigger is about 12lbs, some Sig P226 DAO were measured as high as 15lbs and the S&W 5946 had along smooth 12lb pull. Then there were the litle Kahr's that after break in were in that 4-6 lb range.

Shooting a Kahr was a healty dose of reality after shooting a NY-2 trigger Glock. Eventually word spread about the light trigger pull of the Kahr and politics kicked in. I think Kahr got the initial pull of a new spring up to 8lbs, but it would drop a little with use. The extra length of the NYPD pull is all about leverage, so the heavier spring is as bearable as a lighter spring on a shorter length of pull.

I believe NYPD hiearchy, the bunch responsible for, but who know nothing about firearms, wanted 10-12 lbs. I am not a gunsmith, but I believe one of the 'problems' is that the Kahr trigger pull weight is soley tied to the firing pin spring, as opposed to a Glock that has the trigger spring on the trigger bar. Inside the Kahr slide there is only so much room for that spring.

I had my Kahr from July 1997 when they were first approved until I retired in 2004. I put around between 9-10,000 round through the gun on the original springs with no problems. The only failure to feed that I ever had was some bogus frangible ammo that wouldn't load before it was broken it.

I was never at Rodman's Neck, and I retired just before the Kahr issues came to light so to some I don't know what I'm talking about. Trust me I do, there was nothing wrong with any of thos guns. Many recent retirees were dumping their Kahrs for $200-$300 because they thought the guns to be junk. There are still many out there and an NYPD Kahr K9 will never be a collectable.

I made the mistake of selling my K9 when I retired, because Kahr's were not on the approved list of my new department. I found out later that they were approved, just not on the list. Stupidity is in every Police Department Administration. I did replace the K9 with a P45 and an MK9, and I have been extremely happy. Rant over.

OldLincoln
07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the solid info, sure beats speculation. Now if you want to sell your P45 for a couple hundred bucks remember I asked first.

Jarhead05
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Why would Kahr do a tribute trigger to LE in a state thats anti-gun???

Simple: $$$$$

AFAIK, Ronnie Barrett is the only firearm manufacturer to decline sales to a police agency because of their anti-gun attitude/policies.

hedgehog
09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
why the k9 and not the longer, higher capacity t9?