PDA

View Full Version : What are your winter plans?

DeaconKC
10-03-2012, 11:00 AM
As it starts to cool off in most of the nation, it often becomes a time to re-do our shooting hobbies. Are you planning on revamping your persona, outfit, or maybe adding a new gun or holster combo? I will be getting my reloading set up running well again to feed the noisemakers.

MO_Soldier
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I hope to inherit my grandpas reloading equipment the he doesn't use anymore so that I can start that hobby.

Also, my family is moving to Texas!

FatMatt
10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I plan on doing some Pheasant and Rabbit hunting, then time to get the heaters going in the garage for some winter projects.

jlottmc
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope to inherit my grandpas reloading equipment the he doesn't use anymore so that I can start that hobby.

Cool, and welcome. Where in this wonderful heater are you looking to move?

As for the original question, I plan to get on with a department, and then down the road from that a bit start a chapter down here. Then I have no idea from there.

O'Dell
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I always look forward to cooler weather so I can wear a jacket. This gets the PM9 out of my pocket and puts a 45 [mostly a CW45] on my hip.

JFootin
10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm looking to get a Glock 19C, maybe a 3.5 connector or whatever to enhance the trigger, and a couple of holsters to carry it in. It'll be my Christmas present to myself! :wof:

Bawanna
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I plan to pray for Spring, I had frost on my windows this morning, try running a window scraper from a wheelchair:confused: Lots of bench time but winter sucks.

Hope to think up some really great handle so I can become a Zoot Shooter too.

Got a bunch of sticks all tuned for my Tommy, need to work on an appropriate handgun. Dillinger got nothing on bawanna baby.

OldLincoln
10-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Well I hope it's not North Texas. When I spent a winter in Amarillo, the natives used to say the only thing between there and the North Pole was a barb wire fence. I tended to believe it after being blown off the ice covered sidewalk a few times by the prevailing 20kt "breeze".

As for me, I'll wear my long johns, arctic socks, wrap a blanket around me and read a few dozen books.

joshh
10-03-2012, 08:47 PM
ugh. new england winter...

i am trying to add another glock22, this one a 3rdgen (tough to get here in ma) and then convert my old one into a ported 9mm with some upgraded parts to maybe do some club shoots with it in the spring.
i'd also like to play around with kydex & leather because i have some unique ideas for new holsters.
other than that: its football season!!!

rholmes69
10-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Hopefully buying a new house so that I can set up my home firing range. We sold our house back in the beginning of July and have been living with mom ever since. 3 adults, a 6 yr old and 18 month old, two 75lb dogs and a cat in 1600 sq feet is cramped to say the least... Waiting for the right homestead to pop up so we can (pardon the pun) pull the trigger. Minimum of 5 acres is one of the requirements so that we can shoot on it...

muggsy
10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm planning on building a black rifle and spending long hours at the reloading bench. I'm also toying with the idea of buying another .45 auto. The XDs has piqued my interest as well as the Kahrs. Decisions, decisions.

Race Bannon
10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I plan to do some reloading, 45ACP is now really my main caliber, Tommy, 1911, 1917. I also am trying to make some contacts to get a ZS group started in Kansas City.

QuercusMax
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I guess I'm always a bit contrary, but I actually *like* winter quite a bit. That's good because we do get a bit of snow here in the mountains.

It does limit shooting opportunities (I hate indoor ranges, and there really aren't any around anyway), but winter does provide a break from all the things that need to be done outdoors, giving lots of indoor time to read up on stuff, repair things, and plan things - when I'm not out plowing snow (which actually is a lot of fun when you have the right equipment!) or watching the elk herd that winters on the opposite mountainside.

Haven't gotten into reloading yet - no time for it this winter, so maybe next winter. Unless something else comes along.

7shot
10-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I'd like to take another defensive pistol class, as it's been awhile. We don't get hardly any snow in this part of Texas so this is always a good time to do outside training without the hellish heat. I'd also like to get my 11 yr old boy some time on my AR. He was a little skittish on trying it a few months back, so we'll see.

Other than that, sure glad football is back...go Bears

AJBert
10-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Hoping to fill the freezer with some elk meat in just over a month from now.

jdlott74
10-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Well I hope it's not North Texas. When I spent a winter in Amarillo, the natives used to say the only thing between there and the North Pole was a barb wire fence. I tended to believe it after being blown off the ice covered sidewalk a few times by the prevailing 20kt "breeze".

As for me, I'll wear my long johns, arctic socks, wrap a blanket around me and read a few dozen books.

There are TWO North Texas...the N. TX that is up toward Amarillo that does get snow and the N. TX in DFW...The one out in DFW doesn't get snow that often

jdlott74
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM

What part of Texas are you moving to? Are you being stationed somewhere?

dougdeb
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm lucky. I've got one more caper to go this year. Copicut Zoot Shooters last caper is November 10.
I've decided that I'm going to change it up a little bit. I carry a short barrel .38spl every day so for this last caper, that's the only pistol I'm going to shoot. We traditionally use the pistol for 10 rounds/stage, plus 5 rounds for a "pocket pistol." I'm going to reload with speed strips. Not quite historically accurate, but I'll live with it.
I've also decided that I need to figure out what to do about our rifle portion of the capers. We use 20 rounds per stage. I realize that I should just break down and buy a Thompson, but I don't have $1,000 (or more) that my wife won't miss. :( So I've been borrowing one, but at some point... Maybe I'll just get a level action (matching caliber) and live with that till I win the lottery.

Aloha

The Hustler
11-06-2012, 12:50 PM
down the road from that a bit start a chapter down here.

We had a club in TX. They shut it down due to lack of interest. It was a spin-off of a SASS club and Zoot Shooters just didn't catch on with them. At least they tried. If you get something started down there, that will be awesome!

As for me, the AZSA matches are done in CO for 2012. I plan to get the organization and website up to date. Also, I want work on my next t-shirt idea and have decals made.

USPSA runs year round in eastern CO. We have eight or more matches a month. Hopefully, my period correct Glock 34 will be getting a work-out! If the snow's better this year, the Neversummer snowboard I bought last year will too...

DeaconKC
11-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Decals? Yeah!