PDA

View Full Version : wallet & weapon on same side = problem?

PYROhafe
10-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Ive been anticipating my carry permit every day! So I was doing a little thinking and realized that I will be (as of now) carrying my wallet on the same side I will be carrying my gun. Is this a really bad idea? I dont want to get shot by some trigger happy LEO because I was "reaching for my gun" when I go to get my wallet to present ID. So... should I learn to carry my wallet on the opposite side, or carry my ID and permit somewhere else... IDK any other ideas you guys can throw at me are welcome.

jeepster09
10-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Don't worry so much....the pros outweigh the cons....look at the positive side when bad guy says give me your wallet :33:

doc540
10-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't worry so much....the pros outweigh the cons....look at the positive side when bad guy says give me your wallet :33:

This

read about it here:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14345

Planedude
10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Since it is impossible to know the praticulars of any potental fight, don't sweat it. Wear the gun where your comfortable and assured of quick deployment. If a LEO asks for your ID, calmly explain your legally carrying and that you are going to get your ID. If he wants something different he will tell you.
Highly unlikely that you will be the first Concelled carry permit holder thats carrying that he/she has ever come across. Stay calm, state what your doing and do it slow and easy. They will likely understand you are the good guy and be really, really, unlikely take offence.
Just don't surprise one with the gun, as that would be rude and likely result in rude treatment.
My wife use to be nutty about me carrying. "What would happen if you fell out and they called an ambulance" she would say? My responce was and is that "CHL in Texas has been around since 1996. Rest assured that the crew that comes to scoop me up has been thru this before and they will have a procedure to deal with it"...
The police are the same, you carrying will be nothing new.

Barth
10-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Since it is impossible to know the praticulars of any potental fight, don't sweat it. Wear the gun where your comfortable and assured of quick deployment. If a LEO asks for your ID, calmly explain your legally carrying and that you are going to get your ID. If he wants something different he will tell you.
Highly unlikely that you will be the first Concelled carry permit holder thats carrying that he/she has ever come across. Stay calm, state what your doing and do it slow and easy. They will likely understand you are the good guy and be really, really, unlikely take offence.
Just don't surprise one with the gun, as that would be rude and likely result in rude treatment.
My wife use to be nutty about me carrying. "What would happen if you fell out and they called an ambulance" she would say? My responce was and is that "CHL in Texas has been around since 1996. Rest assured that the crew that comes to scoop me up has been thru this before and they will have a procedure to deal with it"...
The police are the same, you carrying will be nothing new.

+1
That made the response easy.
I like that.

BTW I've been wearing my gun cross draw.
And my wallet in my left front pocket (same side) for some time.

No Problemo

muggsy
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Ive been anticipating my carry permit every day! So I was doing a little thinking and realized that I will be (as of now) carrying my wallet on the same side I will be carrying my gun. Is this a really bad idea? I dont want to get shot by some trigger happy LEO because I was "reaching for my gun" when I go to get my wallet to present ID. So... should I learn to carry my wallet on the opposite side, or carry my ID and permit somewhere else... IDK any other ideas you guys can throw at me are welcome.

The first thing that you should do if you are stopped by a law enforcement officer is inform him that you have a concealed carry permit and that you are armed. Then ask him how he wants you to proceed. Do exactly what he tells you to do. Make no sudden moves.

JERRY
10-06-2012, 04:00 PM
brother, if this is your biggest concern while ccwing youve got it pretty good.

ltxi
10-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Deep breath. No worries. You're over thinking.

But, having given me an opening for a humorous, to me, short story....I was once made by an observant agent I didn't know 'cause I'm right handed and belt carry my Black.berry (stupid censor) offside.

jocko
10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I have been pulled over numeroous times on my Harley, been ticketed by state boys, never ever told them I was carrying. I produced what they ask for and talked nicely,most of the itme I even got out of the ticket. When the run a bmv check on me, my permit is never listed.
They do not know I am carrying so I just shut my mouth. so far has worked very well for me. If they ask if I am carrying, I would answer them but other wise I have no intentions of telling him I have a permit and I am carrying. There are still A$$hole cops who think they are the only ones who should be able to carry a gun and although u may be 100
% legal, ur probalby gonna get a ticket for sure of the violation u were stopped for or at the best they might just harass u in a legal way and u therechatting with them a hour later. They are in no hurry to go anywhere..

Every situation is differnet I realize that, but I drink coffee with some state guys who are riders alot and I carry that PMJ9 inmy front pocket every time and they never look they never ask and I just shut my mouth. works for me.

ltxi
10-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I have been pulled over numeroous times on my Harley, been ticketed by state boys, never ever told them I was carrying. I produced what they ask for and talked nicely,most of the itme I even got out of the ticket. When the run a bmv check on me, my permit is never listed.
They do not know I am carrying so I just shut my mouth. so far has worked very well for me. If they ask if I am carrying, I would answer them but other wise I have no intentions of telling him I have a permit and I am carrying. There are still A$$hole cops who think they are the only ones who should be able to carry a gun and although u may be 100
% legal, ur probalby gonna get a ticket for sure of the violation u were stopped for or at the best they might just harass u in a legal way and u therechatting with them a hour later. They are in no hurry to go anywhere..

Every situation is differnet I realize that, but I drink coffee with some state guys who are riders alot and I carry that PMJ9 inmy front pocket every time and they never look they never ask and I just shut my mouth. works for me.

Oh, yeah. Good point/points. I'm sure I'll get flack for this from the anal but this is just training wheels stuff. Never, ever bring up the carry issue unless required by law (and often even not then) or unless you're about to be patted down...or it's for some other reason to your advantage.

PYROhafe
10-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Here in SC you're required to hand over your license and carry permit at the same time, so the next question after "license and registration" is pretty much always going to be "are you carrying?"

jzorn
10-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I was carrying my weapon and wallet on the left side for months. Then I thought, if I was to get robbed, I would have to get my wallet and go back for my weapon. I changed my wallet to the right side. Now I can give them my wallet, and while they are concentrated on getting the wallet from my right hand, I can go with the other hand for my weapon. It's been a few weeks now, an I do like it better.

Bawanna
10-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I used to carry a wallet. Took me many years to realize it was pointless since it was usually empty.

muggsy
10-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh, yeah. Good point/points. I'm sure I'll get flack for this from the anal but this is just training wheels stuff. Never, ever bring up the carry issue unless required by law (and often even not then) or unless you're about to be patted down...or it's for some other reason to your advantage.

In Ohio it is the law and I don't see police officers as the enemy. You might consider it anal, but I consider it using good judgement. I don't want to make any law enforcement officers nervous should he discover during the course of his duties that I'm armed. I think what I do is referred to as a professional courtesy. What you choose to do is your business.

mcbowflex
10-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I stopped carrying a traditional wallet years ago. Got tired of the pain from sitting on a wallet all day long. Wife bought me a moneyclamp (http://moneyclamp.com) a few years back, and I've never considered carrying a regular wallet ever since. Just drop it my left front pocket and never bothers me like a wallet did. Keeps my license on the opposite side as my firearm and I feel it's much more secure being in my front pocket than in a rear pocket. I don't live in a "must inform" state so I guess that's less of a concern for me. I will admit it's a pain if you're carrying cash, but I try not to keep cash on me that often. I seem to spend it more quickly than I do swiping my bank card.

downtownv
10-07-2012, 06:00 AM
All you bad boys , behave yourselves. I like the 4, 7 and 9 positions for iwb carry kidney ares (when you need your wallet) may display your gun in public and that can be a problem, these days. 2 cents worth

Planedude
10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
In Texas, you are required to produce both license (DL & CHL) if stopped. The database now shows the officers if you have a CHL and if you have current insurance. Not producing these will raise eyebrows and start your interaction with the LEO off badly. I was stopped about a year ago on my way to work. I can't carry there (gov property) and did not hand the officer my CHL as I was trying to find my current insurance card. The one I had on me was expired. The officer asked about my CHL, I produced it and he reminded me to do so always, even if I'm not carrying. He then informed me that he already knew my insurance was good (the card I had was expired by four days) and he handed me my back all my stuff, with a chuckle then sent me on to work. I was honest and forthwith with all his requests and we stayed low key and easy. The officer just pulled me over to inform me that the rules about the turn I had just made had changed after thirtyone years of making that turn...
It is best to know what the rules are in your state and follow them exactly.

Oh and sitting on my wallet (left cheek) started to really hurt a few years ago. I moved the wallet to the left front pocket and have not looked back. I pocket carry the P380 in the right front and the CW40 at the 5 o'clock (at different times). Works for me, comfortable and comforting.
Have a good one.

JFootin
10-07-2012, 11:03 AM
The key thing is to know the laws in your state and any other state that you might carry in. In NC, we are required to inform any LEO who approaches us in an official capacity, not just being in the same place.

The Italian leather wallet I have used for years has a seperate mini folding wallet with 2 display windows. It slides into a slot behind some card slots. I keep my driver's license in one side and my CC permit in the other. I can insert it in a front pocket or in a little slot on the left side of my dashboard for easy presentation.

jlottmc
10-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Planedude, you need only notify if you are carrying, and since 07, that is questionable in a vehicle. Many officers prefer you to hand both regardless of carrying or not, but it is not required as described above. Having said that, I still hand them both regardless.

Bawanna
10-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Here in Washington we are not required to present the CCW.

I've found the key to a harmonious outcome is remembering that police officers DO NOT LIKE SURPRISES.

I don't mention my gun unless it comes up in discussion. If I need to go anywhere near it to retrieve anything they want I will tell them and then present the license if asked. Usually they don't ask and they don't really care and thank me for the heads up.

Under my first and favorite chief she was very much about ethics and frowned on announcing that you are LE to get out of a ticket, I've stuck to that ever since. Many will use the I'm carrying a weapon as an opportunity to let the officer know they are an officer too.
Sometimes this helps and often times it doesn't.

If an officer seems suspicious of me I will let them know I'm a civilian puke and tell them straight out I have no ill intentions.

I drive a van, with semi tinted windows (hate em but it came that way) which is a scary rig for a traffic stop. I help by having my window down and both hands on the sill so the approaching officer can clearly seem them. I do not rummage around looking for license until asked and have them handy.

wyntrout
10-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Well, I only saw ONE comment... jzorn... about carrying the wallet on your gun side. I have always carried my wallet in the left rear pocket and my gun hand is free while I can do something with the left hand and wallet to distract a thief while possibly drawing my weapon. I always try to keep my gun hand free... part of situational awareness.

I have never had to mention carrying a weapon and I've been stopped (only) a few times while carrying concealed... in FL and out of state. If I were asked to get out of the vehicle OR asked if I had any weapons, I would certainly tell the officer then... before moving! My hands are staying on the steering wheel in plain sight and I will do nothing to alarm an officer and I'm ALWAYS respectful and polite! I've had no problems, but am careful and have thought about my actions in advance.

I do think that you should consider the location of your wallet, pistol, and reloads... if might be very important at some point to be able to reach stuff with your weak hand and retain the free use of your gun hand! Juggling everything with one hand and trying to act in your defense... drawing or ducking for cover... takes some thought beforehand. If you wait until your life's on the line, it might be too late!

Wynn:)

sierrajb
10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Planedude, you need only notify if you are carrying, and since 07, that is questionable in a vehicle. Many officers prefer you to hand both regardless of carrying or not, but it is not required as described above. Having said that, I still hand them both regardless.

Absolutely correct, jlottmc. This is the procedure I follow when stopped. Present the officer with both licenses and proof of insurance in Texas.

PYROhafe
10-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I hadn't even thought about the risk of exposing your weapon when going for your wallet if they are on the same side. I did like the idea of "reaching for your wallet" for a bad guy, and coming out with gun in hand instead of wallet, but I guess you could still do that. The bad guy doesnt know where your wallet actually is. Been looking for a new thinner wallet anyways (likin the idea of the mighty wallet) so maybe Ill get used to carrying the wallet on the left (big change after all these years of on the right) and a new wallet at the same time.

jlottmc
10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
... I did like the idea of "reaching for your wallet" for a bad guy, and coming out with gun in hand instead of wallet, but I guess you could still do that...

That very thing was just done no too long ago allegedly.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/daniel-zimmerman/defensive-gun-use-of-the-day-broad-daylight-edition/

Longitude Zero
10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I have always carried my wallet in my left rear pocket. Since I am right handed my right hand is not bothered with going for my wallet. It is my "gun" hand for a reason.

As to required notice here in OK if you are carrying you are REQUIRED at the instant of first contact with a LEO that you are carrying. Many permits have been lost for failure to abide by this law. It also applies if you are in a car and stopped for traffic. This is where the majority of failure to give notice infractions occur. Many "technical" infractions are treated lightly. Failure to give notice is one in which EVERY violator has been pretty much hammered.

If you want to see a smooth delivery search for the video that William Shatner pops that mugger in both feet and knee.

GROTMAN
10-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I hadn't even thought about the risk of exposing your weapon when going for your wallet if they are on the same side. I did like the idea of "reaching for your wallet" for a bad guy, and coming out with gun in hand instead of wallet, but I guess you could still do that. The bad guy doesnt know where your wallet actually is. Been looking for a new thinner wallet anyways (likin the idea of the mighty wallet) so maybe Ill get used to carrying the wallet on the left (big change after all these years of on the right) and a new wallet at the same time.

When you ever end up marrying that girl of yours..don't worry.. your wallet will be much thinner !! :rolleyes:

ltxi
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
In Ohio it is the law and I don't see police officers as the enemy. You might consider it anal, but I consider it using good judgement. I don't want to make any law enforcement officers nervous should he discover during the course of his duties that I'm armed. I think what I do is referred to as a professional courtesy. What you choose to do is your business.

Yeah...rest my case.

Bawanna's post is good advice.

Bawanna
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Wow, thanks Ixti, 14,000 post and my first good one. Hell yeah! I'm a little slow with the good stuff most of the time.

Jocko will never let me hear the end of this one. I don't think he's had his first good one yet neither.

Armybrat
10-08-2012, 04:44 PM

If I'm travelling, I have a "clean" throwdown wallet with nothing but a $20 bill in it.

A good distraction for the perp while I assess the situation and draw the CW45. :D

Bawanna
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I carry nothing in my pockets sitting full time. My wallet is in a little zipped pack hung in front under my legs. I figure I can go into my curled up please don't kill me while getting out my wallet which puts me in a perfect position to grab the PM45 on my ankle.

I used to have a gun in my little back pack but I never liked it there. Easy to get to but being near deaf others could access it behind me without me knowing, probably not a good thing.

Figure about the same if I have to throw myself on the floor and curl up. Provided I don't break both wrist when I hit the floor.

ltxi
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow, thanks Ixti, 14,000 post and my first good one. Hell yeah! I'm a little slow with the good stuff most of the time.

Jocko will never let me hear the end of this one. I don't think he's had his first good one yet neither.

Oh, no. Looking back over the years I'd say you've had at least four others. Don't really remember what they were about, though. :cool:

Bawanna
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
That many? Ya think? Naw, your trying to puff me up.

QuercusMax
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about this. In over half a century I've only been stopped by the police once - in small-town speed trap in Arizona, the bad taste of which unfortunately still lingers, and negatively colors my impression of that state and some local police to this day. Sorry for anyone here who falls into one of those categories - I'm sure you were not at fault.

Of course if you don't have a carry permit (I do) or don't carry (I usually don't), this whole thing is a moot point in most places. Questions like the one posed in this thread continue to make me think that carrying is usually more trouble than it is worth, but I realize that is my minority opinion.

On a lighter note, if you carry your wallet and weapon on the same side, the main problem is that you might tip over if they are both large. But if you are like me, the more guns you have, the smaller your wallet is. :rolleyes: So again, not a problem.

7shot
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I carry my wallet and pistol on the same side. If a perp wants my wallet he'll get my gun.

I don't worry if I get pulled over, here in Texas you have to hand over both licenses'. Just run through the correct protocol and you'll be fine.

les strat
10-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I carry my pistol off of me in the truck. I keep it by the emergency brake between the 2 front seats. I do not present my permit unless asked, which hasn't happened, and I do not try to hurry and hide it if stopped. They know it though, and it is not law to tell them. They also can see I'm good on everything, so I don't really give it a thought. . Now this is in my state, which is castle law state, and automobiles are considered part of that here. Alabama encourages you to get a permit for the revenue... no test, just a background check and $20. You do not need a permit unless you are out of the car with it on your body. I just don't worry about it.

As far as the wallet goes, I'd worry more about back problems from sitting on a wallet for long periods than a LEO. IWB and a thick wallet makes you contort, and that can be bad business for the old back over the years. Do what's most comfy, and get that pistol off of you while driving. Put it somewhere accessable where you don't have to fight a seatbelt and shirt just to get to it.

Barth
10-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I've had a few interactions with LE over my 20 years of concealed carry.
It's never really been a problem.
In the beginning it seemed like not all LE were up on the laws and/or were uncomfortable with citizens being legally armed.

These days here in Florida the law has been in place for so long,
and so many folks legally carry, It's pretty much a non-issue.

Know and abide by the law.
Be curious and respectful.
And you can carry trouble free - IMHO.

gm412
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
In our required ccw class we were told not to tell an officer we are carrying unless he ask if you have a weapon. Then and only then do we have to tell the officer you have a gun. Our instructer was with the Sherrif department. He said no reason to open a can of worms.

wyntrout
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
If I were in a vehicle and were asked to get out of it, I would definitely and politely inform them that I had a permit and was carrying concealed. I would also answer truthfully if asked.

Then there's that town in Louisiana where a mayor decided that even permit-carrying, fully licensed individuals would be disarmed if stopped by HIS police and answered yes when asked if they were armed... near Monroe?? I would just stay away from situations like that. I don't like to lie, but that mayor and his bully-boy police were disarming law-abiding CITIZENS... and NOT just for the duration of the traffic stop!:eek:

Barth
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
In our required ccw class we were told not to tell an officer we are carrying unless he ask if you have a weapon. Then and only then do we have to tell the officer you have a gun. Our instructer was with the Sherrif department. He said no reason to open a can of worms.

I believe here in Florida it goes like this;
s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm
and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

If I feel the officer may notice I'm carrying.
I'll tell them strait up I'm legally armed - asked or not.
That's a discovery I don't want to have to deal with.
But if they don't ask.
And I don't think it will be an issue.
I'll let that lying dog lay.

les strat
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
If I were in a vehicle and were asked to get out of it, I would definitely and politely inform them that I had a permit and was carrying concealed. I would also answer truthfully if asked.

Then there's that town in Louisiana where a mayor decided that even permit-carrying, fully licensed individuals would be disarmed if stopped by HIS police and answered yes when asked if they were armed... near Monroe?? I would just stay away from situations like that. I don't like to lie, but that mayor and his bully-boy police were disarming law-abiding CITIZENS... and NOT just for the duration of the traffic stop!:eek:

I remember reading about that guy. What a douche. That's like having a motorcycle license, and getting pulled over and your bike towed because the mayor doesn't like morocycles in his town. :der:

Someone needs to school him on the 2A and that he is a public servant, not a god.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
10-12-2012, 11:43 PM
The first thing that you should do if you are stopped by a law enforcement officer is inform him that you have a concealed carry permit and that you are armed. Then ask him how he wants you to proceed. Do exactly what he tells you to do. Make no sudden moves.

this exactly. Identify yourself and follow his or her directions, hope for the best but do whatever you are told.

If I am ever stopped while carrying the first thing I would do is identify myself as a permitted carrier and identify where my sidearm is, even if it is on the weak side. Police don't care for surprises even if you do not need to identify that you are carrying.