PDA

View Full Version : P380 Won't Lock Open

racuda
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm past the break-in, with about 400 rounds so far. Reliability is great. Accuracy is superb. I just shot some 7 yard, 2 inch groups.

Today, for the first time, the slide failed to lock open after the last round. It won't lock open with either magazine.

Last night I cleaned and lubed in preparation for today's shooting. Could I have done something to cause this problem?

The slide stop appears correct with the slide stop spring on top of the protrusion on the slide stop.

Any ideas?

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Cleaning and lubing will help, not hurt.

Are you using full powered .380 ammo that can cycle the slide completely? Are the magazine springs strong enough? Is the follower damaged where it engages the slide stop?

jocko
03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm past the break-in, with about 400 rounds so far. Reliability is great. Accuracy is superb. I just shot some 7 yard, 2 inch groups.

Today, for the first time, the slide failed to lock open after the last round. It won't lock open with either magazine.

Last night I cleaned and lubed in preparation for today's shooting. Could I have done something to cause this problem?

The slide stop appears correct with the slide stop spring on top of the protrusion on the slide stop.

Any ideas?

it lock open manually trying it???? If it will manually and not by just firing it, order a new set of recoil springs. Also take the slide off and reinsert the slide stop lever "corretly" and then run up a empty magazine and see how it lifts the slide stop lever. If it is partially lifting it, the slide stop spring needs tweeked some, if it lifts if good, then leave that area alone. I think I would try a new set of springs first. A call to kahr and ask for IAN and explain it to him and get his thoughts. I would think he would advise new recoil springs to check out.
Not locking open on the very last round to me is indicative of recoil springs needing replaced. You might also ask IAN if he would send you a new set of magazine springs, although u should not need them..

Indeed these little kahrs are IMO the most accurate 380 I have ever shot. they are tack drivers. I shoot my P380 far better than my PM9 now figure that crap out.:popcorn:

racuda
03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Cleaning and lubing will help, not hurt.

Are you using full powered .380 ammo that can cycle the slide completely? Are the magazine springs strong enough? Is the follower damaged where it engages the slide stop?

Yes, it's the same ammo as always, Magtec and WWB. I don't know about the mag springs or follower, but what are the chances that both magazines would crap out at the same time?

it lock open manually trying it???? If it will manually and not by just firing it, order a new set of recoil springs. Also take the slide off and reinsert the slide stop lever "corretly" and then run up a empty magazine and see how it lifts the slide stop lever. If it is partially lifting it, the slide stop spring needs tweeked some, if it lifts if good, then leave that area alone. I think I would try a new set of springs first. A call to kahr and ask for IAN and explain it to him and get his thoughts. I would think he would advise new recoil springs to check out.
Not locking open on the very last round to me is indicative of recoil springs needing replaced. You might also ask IAN if he would send you a new set of magazine springs, although u should not need them..

Indeed these little kahrs are IMO the most accurate 380 I have ever shot. they are tack drivers. I shoot my P380 far better than my PM9 now figure that crap out.:popcorn:

The slide will lock only if I push up the slide stop lever with my thumb. It will not lock when I pull the slide all of the way back with an empty magazine inserted.

When I pull the slide back with an empty magazine loaded, I don't see the slide stop lever being pushed up at all.

I took a couple of close up pics. Maybe that will give you some more info. Hold on while I get them off my camera. Be right back!

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Are you sure that you installed the slide stop undreneath the spring every time it's been disassembled, and haven't damaged the slide stop spring?

racuda
03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Are you sure that you installed the slide stop undreneath the spring every time it's been disassembled, and haven't damaged the slide stop spring?

I *think* so, but anything's possible. Can you tell anything from the pics? An empty mag was installed.

http://i40.tinypic.com/mrn6q.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/2dl3cm.jpg

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Looks bent to far down from my CW40 and T40 pistols. On both the leg was sticking 90* from the screw itself, yours looks slightly under that. Comparing the spring to the stock photo on their website, it doesn't look like the leg is high enough.

Only takes one time to more or less rotate the spring around that screw, or bend it.

http://www.kahrshop.com/images/p38_SlideStopSpring.jpg

See how they have a sharp angle on the bottom leg that's going up to the end that's not pointed at the sky? That's the bottom part of your spring in your picture, that engages the top of the slide stop. Yours looks like it has been bent down, indicating the slide stop has been installed on top of the spring before.

You can give it a go to try to bend it with needle nose pliars upwards slightly until it functions again, or buy a new one. A new spring is $6.60 plus shipping. I'd try giving it a bend, it's not like you will make the non-functioning spring not function any more.

racuda
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I got it!

You are correct that it was a spring problem. I must have installed the slide stop wrong at least once.

I noticed that the slide stop has a small groove machined into the part where the spring goes. The groove is, of course for the spring. My spring was not in the groove, but rather on top, beside the groove. It therefore was sitting too high which caused too much downward pressure on the slide stop, causing it to not engage. I bent the spring away from the frame, towards me, so that it would fall into the groove.

Thanks for the help jeep!

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Glad to hear it's working!

wyntrout
03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Excellent help!:third::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
I wish all problems were that easy!
Wynn:D

racuda
03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Excellent help!:third::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
I wish all problems were that easy!
Wynn:D

Yes, this is such a great resource. Jocko said the spring may need to be tweeked and jeep zeroed in on how to do it. Thanks guys!

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Long as it's running, keep feeding it!

A trick that I do to make sure that I don't have this issue:

Before installing the slide stop completely, i pull the slide back 1/8" or so, just enough to insert the slide stop into the cam in the barrel lug. Release slide.

Rotate slide stop up towards notch, from below the cut in the frame. Do not pull the slide back yet - simply push the slide stop into the notch, while watching and making sure that the bottom of the slide stop is resting on the frame. The round lug on the top of the slide stop should be barely off the slide.

Pull the slide back until the cut out on the slide lines up with the round lug on the top of the slide stop. Push it the rest of the way in - the spring should already be on top of the slide stop before you pulled back the slide, keeping this kind of problem from happening.

jocko
03-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Ur right, that little notch up front on the sllide stop lever has a small groove machined in it. that is where the slide lock spring must go. You should hear a snap every time u put that slide lock lever in. If it is not in that groove and resting anywhere else, it will be applying to much downward pressure on the slide stop lever causing it to not lock open most of the time. Just take a small set of needle nose pliers and tweek that spring tip outward some and then snap in the slide lock lever (without the slide on) and then you can look down inside there and see that it is indeed in the groove. Avoid all possable of taking that litltle springhy screw out, as it just threads into polymer and it is easy to strip, so if it is working OK now, leave it alone. I always put a tad bit of grease on that litltle notch to help that spring to ride over that notch also.gotta be alittle careful in that area. I have had my original slide stop spring in my PM9 for over 25,800 rounds and I know I have had that slide off at leat 500 times over the years. If your careful. you will never damage that little spring or even need to replace it either. Mine is original.

what jeep 4528 stated is about how to install the slide lever also. Just make sure it is at 3:00 level and then just push in, U will hear it snap. NO snap, ten inspect. Once you get the hang of it, it is a no brainer.. Myslide stop lever , the pin that goes throgh the frame, for me is always grease, for remember also that the magazie follower is actually moving the entire slide stop upward, so the smoother that pin can rde in that frame area (on both sides) and through the barrel lug, the easier it is for the magazine follower to engage that slide stop lever and push it upward...