PDA

View Full Version : PM9 - Second Range Trip

G26ster
03-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Well I just passed 250 rds on the PM9 and it's getting better all the time. No failures of any kind so far. I think I have the sights mastered as I'm just as accurate with the sights as I am with the laser, only faster with the laser right now. I can put all shots (OK, maybe an ocassional flyer) in the 3" ring at 15' and as this is a CCW gun, that's as far as I think I need to go. Still working on getting used to the long trigger pull as opposed to my Glock and 1911. I'll get there :) Waiting for my Decal grips to arrive, and they should help. Thanks for all the info here too.

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Spend some time doing dry fire drills for the trigger. I'm glad to hear that it's reliable!

Empty the gun, fire up the laser, and aim at the light switch on the wall. Pull the trigger, watching the dot. You'll easily be able to determine what you're doing do send off those flier shots.

When you get that down a bit, try this drill: YouTube - Wall Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMx8K-rIfKs)

Yes, it may be a bit boring, but I promise it works.

G26ster
03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Spend some time doing dry fire drills for the trigger. I'm glad to hear that it's reliable!

Empty the gun, fire up the laser, and aim at the light switch on the wall. Pull the trigger, watching the dot. You'll easily be able to determine what you're doing do send off those flier shots.

When you get that down a bit, try this drill: YouTube - Wall Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMx8K-rIfKs)

Yes, it may be a bit boring, but I promise it works.

Thanks for the info. I do a lot of dry fire practice. I like to balance a penny sometimes on the slide behind the rear sight too while doing this. Trouble is you can't do this for rapid fire practice as you need to recock the gun each time.

As this is a CCW gun, and 9mm to boot, I feel I need to get a bunch of shots on target fast. So the "fliers" are usually one of the rapid fire shots, and I know I pulled it left and low. Due to the short reach of the PM9 I have to really concentrate to use the middle of the first pad on my trigger finger, and if it slips to the first joint, I usually get a flier. I'm just used to (spoiled) by the Glock and 1911 triggers.

jeep45238
03-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Don't balance on the rear sight. Balance on the front.

Don't accept shots that aren't where you want them in practice. Call your shots, and run them in the target.

I'm a 1911 man, so I hear ya.

jbaker
03-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I do a lot of dry fire practice. I like to balance a penny sometimes on the slide behind the rear sight too while doing this. Trouble is you can't do this for rapid fire practice as you need to recock the gun each time.

As this is a CCW gun, and 9mm to boot, I feel I need to get a bunch of shots on target fast. So the "fliers" are usually one of the rapid fire shots, and I know I pulled it left and low. Due to the short reach of the PM9 I have to really concentrate to use the middle of the first pad on my trigger finger, and if it slips to the first joint, I usually get a flier. I'm just used to (spoiled) by the Glock and 1911 triggers.
im sure u meant behind the front site, i do this also but i use a spent casing. primer side down on slide just behind fs

jocko
03-13-2010, 08:13 AM
great triggers on the 1911's and glocks, My tuned g19 is the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. It shoots circles around my pM9, ON MY BEST DAY, but that being said my G19 is basically a home safe queen, for it just won't go where my PM9 can and does and that is in my front pocket. Doesn't really matter how good a trigger system is or how accurate ones gun is, If it is at home, it is basically worthless, when not at home...

I try not to compare a kahr trigger with any other gun out there for none have that looooong by design trigger pull, but also out ofthe box, none have as smooth a trigger system as a kahr either. as much as I like my short G19 trigger system, it would not be a safe trigger system for pocket carry IMO. I shoot my PM9 very good but on the level of my G19, then not so good but from the BG standpoint at 10 yards he will never know what gun I was using, as I feel very accurate at that distance. Kahrs are not the easiest gun to master IMO, some get frustrated real quick and blame the gun etc. My adivce is always try before you buy, as a kahr is definitely not for everyone. I do feel it is one of the best defense , up close personal guns on the market. Not sure kahr started out to design their guns any other way either. They have that niche IMO pretty well sewed up with their compact 40, and 45's and little 380 and their ever loving PM9.

I guess one could even put a comparison between the 1911 trigger system (single action) and the Glocks even, both great, just one is certainly better than the other..... and the debate goes on.

jeep45238
03-13-2010, 08:20 AM
none have that looooong by design trigger pull, but also out ofthe box, none have as smooth a trigger system as a kahr either.

My friend, try a D frame Colt revolver sometime :D

jocko
03-13-2010, 08:44 AM
sorry about that, I was really referring to semi's.

jbaker
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
i really like the trigger on my pm45 so light and smooth, although i polished all the slide internals which didn't do much if anything, need a tiny allen wrench so i can polish the trig bar. i just have to polish LoL. my 19's trig was awsome ,as i really know glock triggers and there so simple, i do the 25 cent trig job clip 4 coils on striker spring polish slide internals too and the biggest thing ,i bend the trigger return spring tab forward to about 85 degrees this removes about 60 to 70% of pre travel and still leaves all safteys 100% functional, after this i have about a 3.5 # trig pull with very little take up and a crisp break ,you do have to file the the little plastic safty in the trigger bc of the reduced take up , so it will still stop the rearward movment of the trig, if your finger is not squarly on the trig like designed.

jocko
03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
i really like the trigger on my pm45 so light and smooth, although i polished all the slide internals which didn't do much if anything, need a tiny allen wrench so i can polish the trig bar. i just have to polish LoL. my 19's trig was awsome ,as i really know glock triggers and there so simple, i do the 25 cent trig job clip 4 coils on striker spring polish slide internals too and the biggest thing ,i bend the trigger return spring tab forward to about 85 degrees this removes about 60 to 70% of pre travel and still leaves all safteys 100% functional, after this i have about a 3.5 # trig pull with very little take up and a crisp break ,you do have to file the the little plastic safty in the trigger bc of the reduced take up , so it will still stop the rearward movment of the trig, if your finger is not squarly on the trig like designed.

makes a 5# striker spring that just drops right in your kahr. changes trigger pull but not trigger travel. A really nice mod,and requires nothing. Don't clip factory kahr striker springs or you willget light strikes.

My buddy about 6 months ago bought a use G17 and took it home and shot it and it gave alot of light strikes. We took the striker apart and sure enough someone had clipped coils. Just not sure that is the right thing to do. travel at ones own risk, I guess.

G26ster
03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
im sure u meant behind the front site, i do this also but i use a spent casing. primer side down on slide just behind fs

Yep, I meant behind the FRONT sight. I also used a casing but it obscured the front sight, so I switched to a penny.

jbaker
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
makes a 5# striker spring that just drops right in your kahr. changes trigger pull but not trigger travel. A really nice mod,and requires nothing. Don't clip factory kahr striker springs or you willget light strikes.

My buddy about 6 months ago bought a use G17 and took it home and shot it and it gave alot of light strikes. We took the striker apart and sure enough someone had clipped coils. Just not sure that is the right thing to do. travel at ones own risk, I guess.
im not touching she spring on the kakr.. ive never got light strikes on any glock ive done, not being cocky ive just done alot of glock work

jbaker
03-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Yep, I meant behind the FRONT sight. I also used a casing but it obscured the front sight, so I switched to a penny.
its fine either way , but this is not really about aiming its about perfecting your trigger pulling

jocko
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
im not touching she spring on the kakr.. ive never got light strikes on any glock ive done, not being cocky ive just done alot of glock work

when ur good your good:third:

jbaker
03-13-2010, 10:47 AM
when ur good your good:third:
come on now there is many many pople way better than me with a glock,im not really that good i just know a little;)

G26ster
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
its fine either way , but this is not really about aiming its about perfecting your trigger pulling

True, but it's (too me anyway) about keeping the sights on target during the trigger pull too. Either way, dry fire practice is GOOD!

jbaker
03-13-2010, 02:36 PM
balance shell on top of fs if possible

G26ster
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, this is getting interesting now. I went with a friend to an outdoor range today. Fired his rifles some, then the pistols (PM9, G26, friends G17, and Les Baer .45). Trouble is, the closest you can shoot pistols at this range is 25 yds!

I have to say I'm getting to like the trigger on the Kahr better than my G26. Never expected that. The Kahr is getting smoother all the time and now my Glock feels gritty at 5.5lbs. The G17 has a 3.5lb connector, so it was quite nice as well as the .45. I never expected to feel better about the Kahr trigger than I did about the Glock 26 though.

At 25 yds I was able to keep a 10" group with the PM9, offhand. I have no idea if that's good or not, but I never expected to have to fire at someone at that distance. Not my idea of a CC gun range with a 2" barrel. I've got to get my old arms strengthened though, as carrying that heavy range bag around before shooting causes weakness in my arms and they shake a bit afterwards. Not good for holding point of aim ;) I think I'll leave the bag in the trunk, and just carry in what I need in a smaller lighter bag. Or, I could go to the gym! YIKES!

In any case, I am really liking the PM9 more everyday.

Bawanna
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
I'd call 10" groups at 25 yards dang fine shooting. You are correct in stating that 25 yards is a far piece when it comes to ccw with a 2" barrel. I hear those little things shoot though.
The gym would be a good thing anyway, hold steadier, run faster away from danger, it's all good. I gotta practice what a preach, I'm turning way soft my own self.

jbaker
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Well I just passed 250 rds on the PM9 and it's getting better all the time. No failures of any kind so far. I think I have the sights mastered as I'm just as accurate with the sights as I am with the laser, only faster with the laser right now. I can put all shots (OK, maybe an ocassional flyer) in the 3" ring at 15' and as this is a CCW gun, that's as far as I think I need to go. Still working on getting used to the long trigger pull as opposed to my Glock and 1911. I'll get there :) Waiting for my Decal grips to arrive, and they should help. Thanks for all the info here too.
congrats on everything going good, but 1 thing, your just as accurate as the laser , for real,next you will be faster then the laser;)

kahrseye
03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I went to the range today for the first time with my PM9. Put 200 rounds thru her and she was flawless. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the gun is. I'm very impressed with this gun.

G26ster
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
congrats on everything going good, but 1 thing, your just as accurate as the laser , for real,next you will be faster then the laser;)

Nah, at my age nothin' gets faster (except time between birthdays) ;)

Vinikahr
03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
I went to the range today for the first time with my PM9. Put 200 rounds thru her and she was flawless. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the gun is. I'm very impressed with this gun.

Great to hear!
Ahhh the positive!