PDA

View Full Version : Racking P380

hsart
03-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I may have missed similar threads... but is the P380 an easy one to use for the ladies? Thinking of buying one for a beginner with small hands and no real experience with semi-autos.

Copper&Black
03-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I like it a lot, but my petite girlfriend thinks it's a bit of a handful. Most will say you have to shoot it yourself, perfect for one could be all wrong for someone else. Try and find someone who has one and try it out. I doubt you will find a place that will rent one, b/c they are selling like hot cakes. To be perfectly honest IMHO a DOA trigger is not one for beginners. It takes a bit to get used to for a people who have shot a lot. Maybe you can rent another kahr, maybe a PM9 to see if you like the trigger. But then again maybe ignorance is bliss in this situation. If all you know and get used to is a DOA trigger then maybe you can master it.

Where in FL by the way, if you are in South FL, I can let you know when I’m heading to the range and I’ll let you run through a few clips in my P380

jeep45238
03-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I would not say it's good for people who are not experienced. A light, small slide with stiff springs, and a small frame that doesn't offer much purchase area is not good for beginners.

Gender does not matter. I've found that generally the women that want to learn how to shoot almost always outshoot the men ;)

hsart
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I like it a lot, but my petite girlfriend thinks it's a bit of a handful. Most will say you have to shoot it yourself, perfect for one could be all wrong for someone else. Try and find someone who has one and try it out. I doubt you will find a place that will rent one, b/c they are selling like hot cakes. To be perfectly honest IMHO a DOA trigger is not one for beginners. It takes a bit to get used to for a people who have shot a lot. Maybe you can rent another kahr, maybe a PM9 to see if you like the trigger. But then again maybe ignorance is bliss in this situation. If all you know and get used to is a DOA trigger then maybe you can master it.

Where in FL by the way, if you are in South FL, I can let you know when I’m heading to the range and I’ll let you run through a few clips in my P380

I'm in Sarasota though get to West Palm Beach once in a while. I found another thread from last month and the consensus seems to be that it may be too much too handle for most ladies who are not shooters. I have been waiting to see if I could rent one at the range here but you're right... selling like hotcakes.

jocko
03-14-2010, 08:50 AM
IMO, all the above posts are dead on target. Not a gun for a woman. Now if she loads out of an open slide,yes but question: how is she going to open that slide and be able to lock it open?/the little P380 is the tuffest little 380 I have ever hand racked and it is due to very stout recoil springs and extremely small in size gun to.

Not say a woman can't do it but my bet is 90% can't and if they faulter once trying it or have trouble doing it, they will not be confident with it, nor will they want to carry it either. remember she might have to clear a malfunction in the gun or round and she probably won't be able to do that.

We tend to buy for our gals what WE THINK is best without their feedback. Take her to a gun shop where the little 380's are in the case and let her fondle different brands. I can tell you the little ruger lcp is much easier for a woman to rack the slide due to 9# recoil Springs and it is a nice gun also.

Probably if you really desire her to carry, consider showing her a Smith hammerless J frame model. More recoil than a 380 that is for sure but a gun that truly she can operate and load and unload etc. Plus corbon makes some dandy glazer rounds for the 38 spl guns that would be ideal for a woman to.

Just remember they have to be totally confident in the gun they are going to stick in that purse or it will just sit home and that is no good either.
I realy think you answered your own question by stating a "beginner with small hands and no experience. All goods signs of a small semi being a diseaster for the beginner..

bayoutrigger
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
My wife started with a Bersa Thunder 380. Went to several pistol defense courses and became comfortable with defensive shooting. Then wanted something a little easier to conceal. She bought a Kahr 380 and once she got a good grip on the small handle has had no problems. Learning to rack and shoot the Bersa Thunder helped her graduate to the Kahr. May have been a little difficult if she started with the Kahr. Bottom line, may want to start your wife on a inexpensive but reliable gun and then graduate to something else. Used Bersa Thunder's are easy to find and very affordable as a starter gun.

jocko
03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
My wife started with a Bersa Thunder 380. Went to several pistol defense courses and became comfortable with defensive shooting. Then wanted something a little easier to conceal. She bought a Kahr 380 and once she got a good grip on the small handle has had no problems. Learning to rack and shoot the Bersa Thunder helped her graduate to the Kahr. May have been a little difficult if she started with the Kahr. Bottom line, may want to start your wife on a inexpensive but reliable gun and then graduate to something else. Used Bersa Thunder's are easy to find and very affordable as a starter gun.

to me though is that your wife by taking several different pistol course has a very extreme desire to learn also, something that again most women will not do let alone be able. to. There is not a pistol training course within 150 miles of my area, probably further out even. That makes it hard for most. You should be damn proud of ur wife for what she has accomplished. Such as I have been with my wife for the past 15 years since she threw a leg over a big Harley and has been riding solo every since and the best partner I could ever ask for. as much as I love to shoot etc and beingin the gun business for over 40 years she has never really shown the desire to want to pack or shoot or learn like what your wife did. So there fore I know she would never take to guns like she has taken to Harley's..:music:

bayoutrigger
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I knew I had a keeper when my wife offered to clean the fish after our first fishing date. Now she cleans the fish, ducks and deer. Gets the camp straight while I'm out hunting. Also, keeps the 4 wheelers gassed up and running. Not bad at troubleshooting problems with an outboard motor. She's a nurse and that income comes in handy since I like to fish and hunt a lot.