PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Glock Fans

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM
I have been looking into Glocks as my next pistol for quite some time. I do research for a minimum of MONTHS when decision-making.

I want a versatile gun. Mainly for CCW OWB in winter under a jacket, or rarely for open carry/while hunting.

I would LIKE to be able to wear it IWB if needed. So im considering a G27 and having the extended mags and grips for it to make it have the 17 round of the G22.

My question is if that is a good idea, and if that .5" barrel really makes much of a difference.

I am looking at the .40 in order to eventually get the Lone Wolf conversion barrels for it too.

Thanks guys.

hardluk1
10-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Why not step up to a 10mm . You did mention hunting and the 9mm, 40 and 357sig are very borderline or simple don't make enougt energy in some states. You can have the g20 or the 29 if you just have to have a small sized pistol and have the option of a 40sw, 9x25, 357sig and 9mm ether cheaper shooting or higher velocity with the 9x25 dillion. Use bb , dt or underwood ammo for more than average performance.

Any case with the smaller pistols you can add the longer mags and a slide on grip extender for range or hunting use. Even longer barrels with some.

jeepster09
10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I have a 20 and second that.....you can also get a 40 barell if you like.

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I didnt realize you could get the 10mm and have even MORE conversion options!

Thats great information :)

I guess I could just get the full sized conversion barrels depending in their application.
I hadnt thought of that because I dont like the look of the long barrels sticking out of the end of the slide.

Yogi 117
10-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I want a versatile gun. Mainly for CCW OWB in winter under a jacket, or rarely for open carry/while hunting.

I would LIKE to be able to wear it IWB if needed. So im considering a G27 and having the extended mags and grips for it to make it have the 17 round of the G22.

Thanks guys.
I preface my thoughts with, I wish I had a Glock in all calibers, but by your statement of CCW carry often & hunting rarely, to me the 10mm is over kill. While a great round, you will find it harder to locate, and when you do, price is quite a bit higher. To me, you're on the right track with the .40s&w in either the G23 or G27. I would even consider a Glock 30SF in .45acp if size matters. JMHO! :D

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Well Yogi, the main point is versatility. I don't make much money, as i am young and starting out in my career. The .40, .357, and 9mm are all available conversion barrels for $150.
In order to take advantage of all the options, you have to get the largest pistol that can convert.

As I just learned, that is the 10mm.
I knew the .45 didn't convert :'(

Thats the advantage in going with the 10mm vs the .40. You get 4 options instead of 3.

Barth
10-21-2012, 09:52 AM
I have been looking into Glocks as my next pistol for quite some time. I do research for a minimum of MONTHS when decision-making.

My question is if that is a good idea, and if that .5" barrel really makes much of a difference.

I am looking at the .40 in order to eventually get the Lone Wolf conversion barrels for it too.

Thanks guys.

Personally, for CCW and woods gun, I would consider a G29SF.
Use full power 10mm hard-cast hunting rounds for the woods.
Underwood ammo make a sweet "I don't like to be chewed on by bears" load;
10mm Auto 220 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose Box of 50
http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmAuto220GrainHardCastFlatNoseBoxof50.aspx
And get a Storm Lake 40 or 357 Sig Conversion barrel for carry.

I prefer the 357 Sig for Self Defense over 40.
But they are harder to get and can be more expensive.
Quality Speer GDHP. or Winchester Ranger T-Series, 165 gr 40 will serve you well for self defense.
And inexpensive 40 ammo is everywhere.
http://i56.tinypic.com/kdtmkm.jpg

Bawanna
10-21-2012, 10:05 AM
This is of course my personal opinion but I've found in my travels that most anything that does several things can do them all but really can't do any of them as well as something designed to do just one thing.

The "Shop Master"?? I think it was called comes to mind, it slices, it dices, it's a lathe, it does it all but it doesn't do any of them as well as each individual tool.

For protection while woods walking any of the Glocks will suffice. For hunting nothing in Glocks line would be on my belt.

In your shoes I'd sit down and make a list, what do I have now. What do I want this new thing to do, kind of melt it down to a single purpose.

Do I want a hunting gun? IE: Full Size 10, or others down the line.
Do I want a protection gun but larger than what I have for cooler weather.

Your already doing this to a certain extent, research and information gathering are a wonderful thing.

It might help to remember that the 40 is basically a detuned 10mm back when guns couldn't hold up to the 10, or it might not help too?

Barth
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
This is of course my personal opinion but I've found in my travels that most anything that does several things can do them all but really can't do any of them as well as something designed to do just one thing.

The "Shop Master"?? I think it was called comes to mind, it slices, it dices, it's a lathe, it does it all but it doesn't do any of them as well as each individual tool.

For protection while woods walking any of the Glocks will suffice. For hunting nothing in Glocks line would be on my belt.

In your shoes I'd sit down and make a list, what do I have now. What do I want this new thing to do, kind of melt it down to a single purpose.

Do I want a hunting gun? IE: Full Size 10, or others down the line.
Do I want a protection gun but larger than what I have for cooler weather.

Your already doing this to a certain extent, research and information gathering are a wonderful thing.

It might help to remember that the 40 is basically a detuned 10mm back when guns couldn't hold up to the 10, or it might not help too?

+1
I have to really agree with this assessment.
You're already talking dual mags, conversion barrels and multiple calibers in one gun.
And I'm infamous for doing just that myself.
But I could have two very specialized high performance guns for the
price of my Glock G27 with six barrels and 20 mags.

A concealed carry fighting pistol and a woods/hunting handgun gun
have too very different mission requirements best served by two weapons designed for those proposes.

And don't you really want TWO handguns?
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo35/0e/78/739373edfc54__1349301297000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=falsehttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo25/86/cc/b09a8c52fb3b__1323801557000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

pinehtr
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Bow hunting here in Georgia i carry a glock 26.Not necessarily for dangerous animals , However i walked up on several wild hogs and was able to kill three . I was impressed with the pistol and myself as well.

Chief Joseph
10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks guys.

I have a Glock 27 Gen 4 and love it. I use a Kydex holster and it conceals very well. It's not as comfy as my Kahr in my pocket, but it's easy to carry. I've pocket carried the 27 too and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot.

OldLincoln
10-21-2012, 11:23 AM
The one question I don't see answered is does .5" in barrel length make a difference for concealed carry. The answer is no it doesn't. The barrel is below your belt line and within reason won't show. What does matter is the length if the grip and mag, and to a lessor extent the thickness.

I have a .45 Colt Commander that is thinner than my Pm9 but the grip makes it difficult for me to conceal. No matter how I try it wants to stick out like a chicken wing.

I just bought a G30 which is a double stack mag holding 10rds of .45. It is thicker but the grip is as short as the PM9 so I believe it will conceal well (I pick it up in a few days and the holster should arrive about the same time).

As for conversions there's a lot more than I can afford. But if wanting to hunt with one, you might consider the G30 conversion to a 460 Rowland. That pushes a .45 up to 1550 ft/sec out of a 5 in barrel. Sounds like a .44 Mag to me. The conversion kit includes the new barrel of course.

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 11:23 AM
It would be for woods protection, not hunting. I should have been clearer.
I also like to hike.

From the sound of it, I may be happiest with a compact 10mm for a wider range of options, and for the extra barrel length.

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Just looked up the 29SF. I guess that's the best choice. Is the "SF" something special?
I didnt find info on just a plain 29 to compare.

Barth
10-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Just looked up the 29SF. I guess that's the best choice. Is the "SF" something special?
I didnt find info on just a plain 29 to compare.

LOL I think SF stands for short frame ?
http://us.glock.com/products/model/g29sf

For self defense, and that bear has big teeth, the G29SF is hard to beat.
Just a matter of ammo selection.
http://www.dayattherange.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/glock291.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/s1hriv.jpg

jeepster09
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I preface my thoughts with, I wish I had a Glock in all calibers, but by your statement of CCW carry often & hunting rarely, to me the 10mm is over kill. While a great round, you will find it harder to locate, and when you do, price is quite a bit higher. To me, you're on the right track with the .40s&w in either the G23 or G27. I would even consider a Glock 30SF in .45acp if size matters. JMHO! :D

I have had no problem finding 10mm. I just bought 6, 50 round boxes of hollow points for $18.95 a box. Lone wolf offers 357 sig and 40 s&w barells that drop right in. Using the .40 even uses same mags. SF is for shorter grip for us with smaller hands [grip is less circumference].

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Yea, that 29SF looks like a winner. Same mags as .40, just drop different bbls in for a new caliber gun, and the ability of increased capacity and grip with larger mags and grip extensions.

I dont think the extra .5" between compact and SC is measurable. I shoot well up to 25ft with my 3" PM9.

OldLincoln
10-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Yes, SF is Short Frame. The grip is not as deep between the web of the hand and fingers. I understand the Gen 4 has replaceable back straps so you can decide after you buy it if you want short frame or not. For me the standard Glock is like holding a 2x4 but the SF, while not compact like the PM 9, fits well.

Yogi 117
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Well Yogi, the main point is versatility. I don't make much money, as i am young and starting out in my career. The .40, .357, and 9mm are all available conversion barrels for $150.
In order to take advantage of all the options, you have to get the largest pistol that can convert.

As I just learned, that is the 10mm.
I knew the .45 didn't convert :'(

Thats the advantage in going with the 10mm vs the .40. You get 4 options instead of 3.
I love Glocks & in no way was bad mouthing the 10mm. Go for it, sounds like you've already answered your own questions. Good luck & have fun! :D

MO_Soldier
10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh, i didnt take it like that at all Yogi. Just clarifying my intentions. Even if i bought the 10mm, i may use that bbl once a year, and the rest of the time keep a different bbl in it.

gb6491
10-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Some things to consider:

The G29/30 size Glocks are quite a bit larger than the G25/27/33 size guns; they are closer in size (but still thicker) to the G19/23 platform.
(FWIW, I briefly owned a G30SF and found it too thick for my tastes, especially for IWB carry; of course YMMV in this regards.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIfTAQpQDw

Is 10mm that much more a superior cartridge to .40 S&W in shorter barrel lengths?
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html

9/40/357 conversions in the G29 will have to feed from magazines designed for the 29/30-20/21 frame size. I think 15 is the highest capacity in 10mm.

Regards,
Greg

Yogi 117
10-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, i didnt take it like that at all Yogi. Just clarifying my intentions. Even if i bought the 10mm, i may use that bbl once a year, and the rest of the time keep a different bbl in it.
No worries, it's all cool. If it were me on a tight budget, I would just get 2 Glock's, the 10mm for the woods and, say a G27 for CC. I don't think I would want to be CC'ing a G29 or G20 with a smaller caliber barrel, as the size of your weapon hasn't changed at all. If you're going to spend $450 in extra barrels (and possibly more $$ on magazines & guiderod assemblies (not sure if these need to be changed out with barrel change)), might as well get a woods gun & a CC gun, limit yourself to 2 calibers & practice with both to ensure accuracy. Just thinkin' out loud, hopefully giving you more ideas to think about. :D

les strat
10-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Just get a G30 and be done with it! :D

Sgt.K
10-24-2012, 01:39 PM
If your set on a forty the 23 if you can conceal it, the 27 if not. My EDC is a 26.

MO_Soldier
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I think it'd be awful hard to conceal the 19, or 23 with the clothes I wear. But for winter carry OWB under a jacket, or open carry in the woods, I think the 27 with extended mag and grips would be ideal.

With my budget, I can simply add 2 $100-130 conversion barrels over time as my budget allows.

I will really stick to keeping my PM9 as EDC though.

Barth
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I think it'd be awful hard to conceal the 19, or 23 with the clothes I wear. But for winter carry OWB under a jacket, or open carry in the woods, I think the 27 with extended mag and grips would be ideal.

With my budget, I can simply add 2 $100-130 conversion barrels over time as my budget allows.

I will really stick to keeping my PM9 as EDC though.

G27 357 Sig Fire Breathing Dragon ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ G27 40-9mm Sub-Compact Carry
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo25/98/8b/08ecddc9b9ba__1340462567000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=falsehttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo38/cf/75/361912cd428f__1332544688000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

bonjorno2
10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
damn now i want a 29 gen 4 with all this talk.... I have a 27 gen 4 with a drop in 9 lone wolf and love that setup.

ltxi
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I think it'd be awful hard to conceal the 19, or 23 with the clothes I wear. But for winter carry OWB under a jacket, or open carry in the woods, I think the 27 with extended mag and grips would be ideal.......

I don't see that. I have a 23 and a 27. Put an extended mag in a 27 and you've functionally turned it into a 23 for concealed carry purposes. Minimal difference in barrel length is not usually the issue.

HDoc
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Just don't forget your MIL/LEO discount from Glock. Need to buy from a regional distributor
to an FLL but at $399 to $425 per unit, it's a blessing.

Mr. S
10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a .45 Colt Commander that is thinner than my Pm9 but the grip makes it difficult for me to conceal.

How is your .45acp colt thinner than a pm9?

MO_Soldier
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Ltxi - that's exactly why I want the 27. For the rare occasion that I might IWB my glock, I'd like to be able to. For the other 99% of the time I would have the extended magazines in it, since like you said, the .5" in barrel length is really insignificant.

MO_Soldier
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
HDoc - Thanks for the reminder! That is one of the biggest reason I'm going with Glock instead of S&W or Springfield.

ltxi
10-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Ltxi - that's exactly why I want the 27. For the rare occasion that I might IWB my glock, I'd like to be able to. For the other 99% of the time I would have the extended magazines in it, since like you said, the .5" in barrel length is really insignificant.

Ahhh...misunderstood. Then given your case I'd go for the 27 with supplemental extended mags.

Slotback
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I'll chime in and say this: I do like the Lone Wolf conversion barrels. I've bought 2 and been really pleased with them.

Barth
11-03-2012, 12:54 PM

I was at a gun show this AM and handled a S&W Shield 9mm ($449)
and a Walther PPS 9mm ($525).
I had my trusty G27, with a 40-9mm barrel and G26 mag, in my pocket.
And though to myself what do I need that new gun for?
The slides are just about as thick on all three guns?
So why give up the extra capacity of my G27 anyway?
I really believe the thicker grip better spreads the recoil.

It just didn't make sense to me.
So I walked away and bought some .45 ACP ammo for the HK45C instead.

My G27 is a fully capable fighting pistol.
In a light, compact package that's hard to beat.
They have been popular for a long time.
And with good reason.

MO_Soldier
11-03-2012, 01:54 PM
You're right Barth, but 1) I wear some tight fitting t shirts. And 2) I LOVE my PM9. It tucks away IWB at 4 o'clock perfectly no matter what I wear. It's amazing.

I'm not replacing my baby <3 lol

jeepster09
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3u6QboDjog&feature=youtu.be

Barth
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
It's sad to see the rash of owner issues and apparent quality control problems with Glock Gen 4 9mm guns.

Third party parts are already being produced to mitigate a problem
the company seems unwilling to admit or address.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid22.html

I'm hanging on to my reliable gen 3 G27 loaded with after market parts.
The strange thing to me is the OEM 40 extractor seems to work fine
with 9mm rounds when combined with G26 mags and after market 40-9mm
conversion barrels???

I'm sure it's all about money.
If Glock can continue to build and sell "hit and miss" inexpensive guns?
Then I guess they will...

The new Glock recommended safe shooting stance.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xwV1_yHIkTg/TpBPSl-kOvI/AAAAAAAAl_Y/m9162cVLluM/s1600/untitled6.bmp

jocko
11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3u6QboDjog&feature=youtu.be

Hitler's Reaction to Gen4 Glocks, the 45. ACP, and Americans - YouTube

jeepster09
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I am not a huge Block....oops Glock fan, but I like my 20 in 10mm.

gb6491
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm hanging on to my reliable gen 3 G27 loaded with after market parts.
The strange thing to me is the OEM 40 extractor seems to work fine
with 9mm rounds when combined with G26 mags and after market 40-9mm
conversion barrels???
That you have no problems with the 40 extractor and 9mm ammo is a good thing because I doubt using a 9mm extractor in a G27 slide would make much of a difference. I'm just amazed that 9mm conversion barrels work as reliably as they do (I have an LW40-9), especially when you consider that the slide's breech face is cut for the larger diameter .40 and the .40 ejector is more offset than the 9mm ejector.
Regards,
Greg

Barth
11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
That you have no problems with the 40 extractor and 9mm ammo is a good thing because I doubt using a 9mm extractor in a G27 slide would make much of a difference. I'm just amazed that 9mm conversion barrels work as reliably as they do (I have an LW40-9), especially when you consider that the slide's breech face is cut for the larger diameter .40 and the .40 ejector is more offset than the 9mm ejector.
Regards,
Greg

I don't get it either?
Initially I just got the Storm Lake 40-9mm for cheap range work.
6000+ rounds latter, shooting a mix of 40, 357 and 9mm,
the 9mm is the most reliable of the bunch!
Granted the 40, and 357, have only had two FTF in ~2000+ rounds isn't exactly unreliable.

But I actually trust and run the 40-9mm the most these days.
Just between you and me - LOL!

OldLincoln
11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
How is your .45acp colt thinner than a pm9?
Well, no matter how I look at it, it certainly looks thinner, but your question drove me to dig out my electronic calipers, change the dead battery, and either the damn thing is lying or I'm plum wrong. Measuring across the slide just in front of the chamber cutout, the PM9 measures 22.87mm (.900391"), the Colt measures 23.21 (.9137768). So the PM9 slide is thinner than the Colt Commander slide by .0133858 inches. Sorry for the wrong info. :o

Bawanna
11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
With the proper holster you can hide an awful lot. The slide on the Colt is easy to hide, it's sometimes challenging to hide the grip as effectively but with the proper holster and just a tiny bit of cant he's easily accomplished.

Barth
11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Well, no matter how I look at it, it certainly looks thinner, but your question drove me to dig out my electronic calipers, change the dead battery, and either the damn thing is lying or I'm plum wrong. Measuring across the slide just in front of the chamber cutout, the PM9 measures 22.87mm (.900391"), the Colt measures 23.21 (.9137768). So the PM9 slide is thinner than the Colt Commander slide by .0133858 inches. Sorry for the wrong info. :o

I think for most that's close enough to call a draw - LOL!

Bawanna
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Close enough on my Stanley 12ft tape measure. The only rule I truly have confidence in.

jocko
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I think for most that's close enough to call a draw - LOL!

that will please 1911 fans, for they ca't seem to win jack sh!t otherwise. Just sayin:popcorn:

MW surveyor
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
that will please 1911 fans, for they ca't seem to win jack sh!t otherwise. Just sayin:popcorn:

Well, a 9 mm might expand but a 45 will not shrink! So there:53:

Also, here's somtin for the Glock fan boys.

gb6491
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
With the proper holster you can hide an awful lot. The slide on the Colt is easy to hide, it's sometimes challenging to hide the grip as effectively but with the proper holster and just a tiny bit of cant he's easily accomplished.
http://i45.tinypic.com/ou15rc.gif

http://i46.tinypic.com/1rdu1v.gif

Bawanna
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Hmm... DD's again....... LAWS rocket in a flash bang.

jlottmc
11-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I find myself mesmerized by that.

Barth
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Also, here's somtin for the Glock fan boys.

If that's a gen 4 9mm will the cap hit you in the face - CTF?