PDA

View Full Version : Worst Enemy

rjmcw9
03-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, I am my own worst enemy. Want to buy a K9 Elite and I keep on buying other guns on impulse. First was a CZ 75D PCR and now I've bought a RIA .45 CS which is an officer sized 1911 clone.

I bought it on it's looks, very utilitarian , also the price was right. Does anyone here have a Rock Island. If so, please tell me your opinions and experiences.

gb6491
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I had a mid size (Commander like) RIA. I bought it in a pawn shop and later found the serrations on the slide to be out of spec. I called RIA's customer service and explained the situation. They asked for the pistol and returned it with another slide; cost to me was only my shipping costs to them. That warrants a big thumbs up in my book. As it was a used gun, the following is not a knock against Rock Island, but the magazine that came with it needed a new spring (nose dives). The pistol ran fine thereafter and I can't remember having any kind of failure with it. I sold it to fund something else, but if it had been my only 1911 at the time that would not have happened; it was a good gun for me.
http://i30.tinypic.com/2s0eo14.jpg
Regards,
Greg

rjmcw9
03-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Greg, I've kept the Rock and have already shot it. Very accurate with no failures in the 100 rounds I have thru it. Thanks for responding.

Bawanna
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Greg, I've kept the Rock and have already shot it. Very accurate with no failures in the 100 rounds I have thru it. Thanks for responding.

So do we get to see a picture of the Rock or what? No failures and accurate, sounds like it's in a keeper status to me.

medezyner
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I’ve been very happy with my 10+ year old RIA/Armscor 1911. I would say it’s eaten (conservatively) more than 6K rounds of 10 different ammo’s. The only FTE/FTF I’ve gotten was from limp-wristing cheap Wolf ammo. I passed it on to my son and he (we) rebuilt it: ambi safety (he’s a lefty) beavertail, trigger, commander hammer, wolf springs and other misc. Incredibly, everything was drop-in and I couldn’t believe it actually fit & engaged perfectly. No more hammer bite and now my son enjoys it. It’s not a SD handgun (especially since it’s been reworked); I bought it more for the shooting and smithing experience. Next: upgrade those hideous mil spec sights, but for now the dab of neon paint works just fine for blasting paper.

rjmcw9
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Bawanna: Will post pic as soon as I take one, my pistol pics are always terrible. Need to work on it or get a new camera.

Medezyner: The only thing I will change are the mil spec sights. My older eyes just won't pick them up on a dark target.

Bawanna
03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Bawanna: Will post pic as soon as I take one, my pistol pics are always terrible. Need to work on it or get a new camera.

Medezyner: The only thing I will change are the mil spec sights. My older eyes just won't pick them up on a dark target.

Even bad pics are better than no pics. I'm with ya on those sights too. Tough for young good eyes, next to useless for well experienced and trained eyes.:2eek:

medezyner
03-25-2010, 05:09 AM
If it was still my gun, I would have only upgraded the sights and the beat up internals. After 100 rounds the hammer bite would draw blood, really wasn’t an issue for me, it was like a badge of honor, but the young'in is a southpaw and I figure when we're doing the ambi mod we'd take care of the blood-letting. I tried modifying my grip to see if it was me, but no luck, it’s the gun. My Colt has never taken a bite and is more accurate. Now I long for a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, but pole dancing to pay for that beauty isn’t working out!:eek:
If allowed, my son will use a 1911 style side arm for his duty gun. He’s been so conditioned with the 1911 safeties, the Glock “just don’t seem right”. Two each his own. The 1911A1 is an incredible pistol and your RIA will serve well.

Bawanna
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
If it was still my gun, I would have only upgraded the sights and the beat up internals. After 100 rounds the hammer bite would draw blood, really wasn’t an issue for me, it was like a badge of honor, but the young'in is a southpaw and I figure when we're doing the ambi mod we'd take care of the blood-letting. I tried modifying my grip to see if it was me, but no luck, it’s the gun. My Colt has never taken a bite and is more accurate. Now I long for a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, but pole dancing to pay for that beauty isn’t working out!:eek:
If allowed, my son will use a 1911 style side arm for his duty gun. He’s been so conditioned with the 1911 safeties, the Glock “just don’t seem right”. Two each his own. The 1911A1 is an incredible pistol and your RIA will serve well.

Wow, another Dan Wesson Bobtail wanter. That's at the very top of my list as well. Like you say, gotta have a pretty full piggy bank for one and even worse since the discontinued the Cbob and replaced with the Vbob. Same gun near as I can tell. I have one on the watch list at a couple places. No money but at least I can watch. It will happen. Whoever gets one first gets to post pics and make the other very very jealous! Hoping MX5fan post another pic of hers. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous with some buckeye grips.

medezyner
03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
even worse since the discontinued the Cbob and replaced with the Vbob.

What! I wasnt aware of that. They still show the classic bob on their web site. Thats ok, "I'll take a Valor bob with a side order of Amboyna Burl grips please"! :biggrin1:

Bawanna
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
What! I wasnt aware of that. They still show the classic bob on their web site. Thats ok, "I'll take a Valor bob with a side order of Amboyna Burl grips please"! :biggrin1:

Yup, they reportedly made 200 Cbobs in 2010, then all Vbobs. Course price went up a couple hundred which is what I heard was the plan anyhow. Still worth I think. There are still a few NIB or very slightly used Cbobs floating around. I had one in my hand last month at a gun show. Didn't have the 1100 in the other hand. Sad day for me.

jbaker
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Yup, they reportedly made 200 Cbobs in 2010, then all Vbobs. Course price went up a couple hundred which is what I heard was the plan anyhow. Still worth I think. There are still a few NIB or very slightly used Cbobs floating around. I had one in my hand last month at a gun show. Didn't have the 1100 in the other hand. Sad day for me.
there is a cbob on gt right now somewhere

PigButtons
03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I bought a Rock for Christmas, it's full size and runs and shoots as well as any 1911 I've ever had the pleasure to shoot.

I did upgrade the grips, safety, hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector, and mainspring. Other than that it's pure stock. LOL

I like the military sights, just a little neon paint and I'm roll'n.

Seahawk60
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I have a RIA 1911-A1MS that's plain jane/GI style. What grip safety are you guys using to install as a "drop in"? I'd like a beavertail type GS, but will it drop into a RIA frame without having to have it radiused/fitted for it? Will the RIA beavertail safety from the tactical series drop in?

Popeye
08-30-2010, 06:16 AM
So far the only problems I've had with mine seem to be Mag related.http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2299&stc=1&d=1283170257

Seahawk60
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
So far the only problems I've had with mine seem to be Mag related.http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2299&stc=1&d=1283170257

Really? The supplied ACT mag worked very well, so I bought two more. I also bought two of the new Wilson Combat ETM 8rd mags. All function just fine. I did have a slide "not locking back" problem and suspected an out-of-spec slide stop. Ivan at Armscor sent me another one for free and it's been fine ever since.

Popeye
08-31-2010, 04:30 AM
Yes there seems to be some problems with the Act mags that come with some of the pistols from what I'm hearing. I don't know maybe the quality is not the same with the mags that you can purchase from ACT. This would not suprise me even a little bit. I was told to try the Wilson,CMC,or the Springfield mags. Maybe it's just me but the spring pressure in the supplied ACT mag seems a bit on the weak side and once a few rounds have been emptied out of it,it doesn't want to feed properly which in turn sets off the slide lock. Looks to me like the bullet is hitting the slide lock on the inside as it tries to feed. There was a little burr on the end of it though that I have since removed with some very fine emory paper. The rounds seem to be sloppy inside the mag. We'll see what happens after I get the new mags. Other than that I like the Rock. I might be giving Ivan a call myself if the slide keeps locking back.

Also found that a little Floresent finger nail polish works well on the front site of the GI model. :)

Seahawk60
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes there seems to be some problems with the Act mags that come with some of the pistols from what I'm hearing. I don't know maybe the quality is not the same with the mags that you can purchase from ACT.

Aren't these exactly the same magazines that Novak sells? They just stamp their name on them.

Maybe it's just me but the spring pressure in the supplied ACT mag seems a bit on the weak side and once a few rounds have been emptied out of it,it doesn't want to feed properly

Try the Wolff extra 10% power spring. They're only $8, so much cheaper than any magazine except beat-to-death USGI mags. Never had a problem with these springs and they last forever. I've never had to change one out and, come to think of it, I did replace the springs in the three ACT mags I have for my RIA 1911A1-MS. I wasn't having any problems with the one supplied, but I pretty much swap out the stock springs for Wolff in "cheap mags" out of habit.

jocko
08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
probably if the truth be known, wolffs makes most all magazine springs. I doubt if Smith, Ruger or any of the big companies have spring making machinery, when they can go to the experts like wolffs and save machinery costs, labor, quality control costs. Wolffs makes kahrs springs. Mecgar who is one of the biggest quality magazine makers also makes their own springs. I never considered factory magazines to have cheap springs, but when a company like wolffs offer besides factory springs, their 5 or 10% extra strength magazine springs, I like that alot. It should help work the slide lock system alot better, in my opinion..

Popeye
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Here's the funny thing. I bought the pistol (NEW) took it straight to the range and it shot a perfect 40 rounds . Came home cleaned it and lubed and loaded the mag. to the top left it that way for a bout ten days and went to the range and that's when the trouble started. I'll have to see how the other mags work but on the ACT mag I think I'm going the way Jocko did and replace the spring in it. The spring in my Kahr PM9 is actually more powerful than the one in my 45. :(

jocko
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
popeye, does wolffs make 5% more power sprngs for the kahr 45??? I guess I am to lazy to check it out..

Popeye
08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Jocko I really have no idea . Sorry. I will probably check them out for the Rock though. Thanks for the info.

wyntrout
08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
They don't have anything for the .45 or the .380, yet.
Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29)
Wynn:)

Seahawk60
08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
I'll have to see how the other mags work but on the ACT mag I think I'm going the way Jocko did and replace the spring in it.

Actually, in post #18, I recommended you try the Wolff 10% extra power spring. My bet is it will work great.

Popeye
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I haven't gone to the range yet to fire the gun (it's just been to hot to enjoy shooting)but I did pick up a Wilson combat mag for it. I also had a friend give me a couple of Pro mags that appear to be pretty much junk even though they appear almost new. The followers are very loose fitting and will not even work the slide release when there empty. The springs in them compared to the Wilson seem to be pretty much a joke.
Will the Wilson Combat springs and followers fit in them? If so where can I get them. TIA. Popeye.

Bawanna
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't waste your time. I'd just order up a sack full of Wilsons and call it a day. Many swear by the Chip McCormacks and many swear by the Wilsons. I'm a devout Wilson fan myself but I did get a couple 10rd McCormacks so I can be a fence sitter if needed.

Bawanna
09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
If you want to tinker just for the fun of it, I believe Brownells sells the parts or you can go direct thru Wilson. I'm not certain about Midway, they might have it too.

Popeye
09-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks Bawanna. Just might see if new guts to the Pro mags will help at least for range time fun. For times when seriousness is a must it looks like it's going to be Wilsons loaded with FTX Hornaday Hollow points.

Bawanna
09-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I guess if the Wilson parts don't help you can always keep them as spares for the Wilson mags although I doubt you'll ever need them. My last Para I don't think has ever seen a round thru it's 3 factory mags. It's been fed Wilson's since day one. Guess I should try the factory mags some day and see if they work.

wyntrout
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I kind of keep an eye open for 1911-type magazines and parts to tinker with for the PM45, but too often the pictures are of full magazines so that I can't check out the follower and see if it looks like it might work.
There are those McCormack kits for increasing capacity(?) and function, too, but again, I don't know what they would work with. I would like to cobble a 6-round magazine together using the Kahr 5-round tube... and maybe the floorplate, 'cause I like the added grip without the too-large finger rest like some of the add-on stuff.
I could stuff 6 rounds into the Kahr magazine by just changing the follower and spring(as necessary), but it's so darn tight that I worry about reliabilility. A minimal metal follower with the matching spring, and maybe trying to find an extra millimeter of depth in the floorplate and lock might make that work.
The minimal followers are designed for the welded base-type magazines, but seem to work okay with the matching spring... otherwise, the follower might pop out or not work correctly.
Oh, BTW, Boomer got a new frame and is essentially all new. I hope to get it back from Kahr soon... if my FFL dealer gets around to sending them his FFL... new serial number & registration.
I'll have to break it in again... they fired 70 rounds with the new frame without problems. They tried other frames and duplicated the mag-failure problem until the new frame was tried.
You might check out the spring kits that Wolff makes for a lot of guns. I bought the kit for my S&W 645 and got every spring in the gun, including one for the magazine. I'm sure I can use the recoil spring, but the several dozen other... some tiny as heck... I have no clue, but they may come in handy for any gun in the future... spare parts... $20 something for the kit.
Wynn:)

Popeye
09-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Going to pick up a few more Wilson Tactical mags. for the pistol and keep the Act and Pro mags for the range. I went to the range the other day and two of the three pro mags do not lock the slide back after the last round. I did have two failure to feed rounds but I was also using reloads. So I can't say it was 100% the mags fault. The Wilson mag did feed the ball and the Hornaday FTX hollow points 100%. I didn't even waste my time putting the Hornaday ammo in any of the other mags being there only going to use reloads and plain ball ammo at the range. The Act Mag performed well this time out but I just do not trust it. As far as I'm concerned Pro mags are a POS and should not be used for anything other that range shooting. The quality is just not there. I certainly would never trust my life to one of them. Only good thing about them is they were given to me and I didn't pay for them. I'm not going to redo the guts in them like I had thought at one time, it's just not worth the time,effort and money for range mags that I could never really trust to be there in a SHTF situation. The ROCK GI 45 I like alot it's fun to shoot and I'm getting better with it all the time. It's a totally different animal then my Plastic Fantastics.:)

DasFriek
12-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I bought an RIA CS Officer a week before my MK9 so im still going threw the break in process with both which is 500 rounds usually for me to call a gun "safe" to carry.

I bought a Kimber 7 round flush stainless mag for carry but soon found out it had issues once i took it apart for cleaning, Mainly wouldn't lock back on the last round.
I bought a Wilson Combat mag rebuild kit and its been perfect ever since.

I also had an issue with both guns shooting +P ball ammo which would result in stovepipes with a spent case crushed and holding the slide open with a live round half chambered. Both guns!
Im hoping a heavier spring will clear the issues up as both shot 100% with standard load ball ammo. Even still its only 2-3 rounds its happened on each gun out of 400-450 rounds.

I hated the RIA trigger that came on mine, It was serrated and stepped up and met at a point in the center of the trigger making for one heck of a pressure point. Luckily i had a Harrison Design IonBond trigger as a spare to my other 1911 and the trigger fit right in.
What i noticed inside was the trigger parts were all parkerized and no mating surfaces were polished.
I polished all the parkerization off any mating surfaces and adjusted the play out of the trigger and even tho they aren't high end tighter tolerance parts the trigger pull turned out amazingly well. Even as good as my high end custom i just finished.

The little Rock has quickly become a gun a i like alot and one of the few low cost options on the market for a Micro 1911 thats actually reliable. Most people wont touch a small 1911 thats under $1000 for fear of never ending headaches, But this gun is a great option when $1k isnt an option.