PDA

View Full Version : Nickel S&W 36 snub

scotty_MK9
10-23-2012, 12:14 PM
A couple days ago i found a nickel plated model 36 with factory grips. I was told that Smith and Wesson brings back certain classic models for a short amount of time and then stops making them again. Well anyway i dont know much about prices on these classics brought back, but the m36 snub they had was 650.00 which seemed on the high side to me. I must admit thought the ni kel was beautiful and i already havr a thing for older snubbys...

My questions were is that a ballpark price for a brand new nickel 36 with a 1 7/8ths barrel. Maybe i could talk them down a little.

And also i know nothing about how nickle plating would hold up over time. I would honestly shoot maybe a box every 5 or 6 months out of it. But i would probably carry it every now and then also. I was also told not to use Hoppes on it because it does more harm then good on nickel...

Any thoughts?

Bawanna
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I still have my first carry gun, a Colt Cobra 38. It has the nickel finish and after 35 years its just starting to show a few pin pricks in the finish. Really have to look close even. I carried it for many years and it shows nearly zero wear.

I've heard the same about Hoppes on nickel and I think its one of those deals where you don't want to soak it or leave on too long. I used it before I heard it was bad but I never do the soak thing. Seems to have survived.

I know the finish (clear coat) on the new J frames is easily damaged too.

I don't know that much either about nickel finish but I suspect the biggest issue is just time. Even in a glass case I suspect eventually the finish will deteriorate. I'm sure it depends on surface prep and how well it's applied too. I feel lucky mine has done so well over all these years.

Barth
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I still have my first carry gun, a Colt Cobra 38. It has the nickel finish and after 35 years its just starting to show a few pin pricks in the finish. Really have to look close even. I carried it for many years and it shows nearly zero wear.

I've heard the same about Hoppes on nickel and I think its one of those deals where you don't want to soak it or leave on too long. I used it before I heard it was bad but I never do the soak thing. Seems to have survived.

I know the finish (clear coat) on the new J frames is easily damaged too.

I don't know that much either about nickel finish but I suspect the biggest issue is just time. Even in a glass case I suspect eventually the finish will deteriorate. I'm sure it depends on surface prep and how well it's applied too. I feel lucky mine has done so well over all these years.

I've got a factory nickel plated two tone Sig P220 45 that I bought NIB in 1998.
She still looks spanking new.

Although only a year old,
my Glock G27 has a Nickel Boron EXO finish by Fail Zero
that still looks new after +5000 rounds on the odometer.

I personally prefer stainless steel.
All my revolvers are stainless.
I bought pristine used stainless S&W 640-1 and 65-3 357 guns for $500.00.
And my S&W 629-2 44 Mag Mountain Gun for $350.00.

Bawanna
10-23-2012, 01:04 PM
You stole that Mountain gun. I prefer stainless too. Easy to touch up or mod without refinish.

I was young and dumber than I am now. I don't think they made a stainless Cobra now that I ponder it either. I bought it to replace a blued Colt Agent that got O'Delled from my first house.

Barth
10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
You stole that Mountain gun. I prefer stainless too. Easy to touch up or mod without refinish.

I was young and dumber than I am now. I don't think they made a stainless Cobra now that I ponder it either. I bought it to replace a blued Colt Agent that got O'Delled from my first house.

"Got O'Delled" that's funny!

That Mountain Gun is one of my prized possessions.
And cost the least too...
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo23/88/e4/58a184fec103__1341504179000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

scotty_MK9
10-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Yes i preffer stainless or blued too. Also it would ptobably be cheaper that way but all there was was nickel. Like i said i love the older smith snubs. The kind of remind me of what an off duty cop would carry in the 80's i dunno.

So what do u guys say considering the price?? Yay or nay? Gun brokers nib 36's seemed to be same or higher price.

Barth
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes i preffer stainless or blued too. Also it would ptobably be cheaper that way but all there was was nickel. Like i said i love the older smith snubs. The kind of remind me of what an off duty cop would carry in the 80's i dunno.

So what do u guys say considering the price?? Yay or nay? Gun brokers nib 36's seemed to be same or higher price.

Gunsamerica has a blued one that 's sold now for $450
http://www.gunsamerica.com/917664629/SW+MODEL+36+NIB.htm

$650 sounds high to me.
I'd get a pristine used one myself.

But if you've really got to have it???
Handguns are forever.
So what is it worth to you?

Bawanna
10-23-2012, 02:12 PM
What he said. Sounds like a lot but if you want it bad enough it's meant to be.

We have a couple Mountain guns in my toy box too. Darn nice guns.

MW surveyor
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh, look.....shiney

Why do they call them mountain guns?

scotty_MK9
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Ya kesselrings is where i saw it. They seem to be getting worse and worse on there prices lately. But its one of those things where it comes down to how much do i want it i guess. M36's are very hard to come by around here. Actually i have never seen one in person, let alone in nickel. And i dont like buying online so this would be my only option.

Sigh... I hate collecting guns sometimes lol.

scotty_MK9
10-23-2012, 03:36 PM
MW surveyor-

I was wondering the same thing lol. Are the talking about the big bore smittys?

Barth
10-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh, look.....shiney
Why do they call them mountain guns?

The Mountain Gun was introduced in 1989 as a lightweight version of the Model 29.
The barrel profile is a reprise of the post World War II designs.

Smith & Wesson’s Mountain Gun series of revolvers has been one of their most popular with those shooters and hunters who pack a handgun into the wilderness.
The Mountain Gun is also in demand among those who choose to carry a concealed handgun for social purposes, and prefer a sixgun over an autoloader.
The Mountain Gun has been offered chambered for a few powerful centerfire cartridges in the past, and most have been built from stainless steel.
They are about as light and handy as a big bore double action sixgun can practically be.

My S&W 629-2 Mountain Gun is a light weight (38 oz) version of a 4" 629.
She sports a tapered 44 special barrel, chamfered cylinder, round butt grips,
combat hammer and trigger.
With a stylish glass bead blasted satin stainless finish.

Magnum Force
S&W 629-2 4" 44 Mag Mountain Gun
S&W 65-3 3" 357 Mag Military and Police Heavy Barrel
S&W 640-1 2.125" 357 Mag Centennial
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo54/53/69/c1d61ca140f7__1341750491000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

mr surveyor
10-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's my thread on a M36 find from a few months ago:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13910

I did "luck out" on the purchase price, then ended up buying a couple of parts to make it 100%. I probably have around $175 in it total. Street value is most likely in the $450-500 range (mine is a fairly pristine 1963 model).

I'm not partial to nickle, or any other shiney finish on my firearms, although I do like my brushed stainless finishes. As to Hoppes and nickle..... as long as it's used in the bore for cleaning and thoroughly wiped off the nickle before it finds it's way into any tiny cracks or crevises in the nickle finish, you're good to go.

I do like my little 36 though, more than any of the other j frames I've owned (particularly the lightweights).

As far as current MSRP.... not me.... there's too many deals out there to be had on fine older models (in many cases, much finer older models)

jmo

surv

scotty_MK9
10-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I found a M49 at Cabellas right after they opened. Thats another sweet little snubby. Problem was they wanted 799.00 for it. It was in great condition but i guess it wasnt meant to be.::

mr surveyor
10-23-2012, 11:33 PM
check the pawn shops and smaller gun shops for consignment items... you'll run across a deal sooner than you think

Barth
10-24-2012, 07:36 AM
check the pawn shops and smaller gun shops for consignment items... you'll run across a deal sooner than you think

+1
Almost bought a used pristine Ruger SP101 357 for $300 on consignment.
Had just purchased my S&W 65-3 357 for $500 a week before or would have bought it.

Some of the large LGS in my area take in used guns as trade for new ones.
They regularly reduce the price on the used case by 25% to clear the items.
Got my S&W 640-1 357 that way.

Hang on to your money and keep your eyes open.
With the holidays on the way deals will surface.

scotty_MK9
10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Well i decided to pass.. I found another beretta Jetfirr 25 auto at a different lgs for 229.00 thats the same exact price they sold me the last one for. So ill have a twin brother to bring home. Pick it up on halloween i will post a pic of the bros.

Someone else who has more of an aprriciasion for nickel will pick up the 36 im sure.