PDA

View Full Version : Got to meet Kim Rhodes today

AJBert
10-27-2012, 10:05 PM
For those who don't know who she is I'd suggest looking her up. Short story version, she is one of only three people in the world and the only American to medal in five consectutive Olympics. She is a trap/skeet/shotgun shooter and has a very impressive resume' aside from her Olympic feats.

Anyways, she is as down to earth of a person as one will ever meet. Her mother was with her the entire time as she signed autographs. When I first ran into her she had asked if I wanted an autographed phote. I thanked her but declined. I just enjoyed chatting with her and her mom.

As time passed, I thought a bit more about it and decided I'd like to signed photos but not for me. I have two young nephews that are just getting into shooting and both love it. I'm sure neither has heard of her but they will come Christmas. I asked her to sign to photos to each of my nephews and she was more than happy to oblige.

One of my co-workers was getting a photo signed as I walked up and she had her five medals laying on the table next to her. I asked my co-worker if he knew the significance of those five medals and he sheepishly said he didn't. She then went on to say that it is not just the five consectutive medals but that she was the only person to win the first and last gold medals at the Olympics in any event. Double trap came out in 1996, which she won as a teenager and only lasted through the 2004 Olymics, which of course she won.

As her and her mother were leaving for the day I ran into them again. They'll be back tomorrow and I thanked them both and let them know that hopefully her picture and autograph will really spark an interest in my nephews to truly get involved in the shooting sports, competition wise. They both love to shoot clays and hunt birds and they are only 11 and 8.

She signed both with their name followed by, "Dreams really do come true!"

Truly a classy lady in my mind.

Bawanna
10-27-2012, 10:29 PM
How cool is that? Never been lucky enough to meet her but heard she is indeed a class act and apparently damn good with a shotgun.

muggsy
10-28-2012, 08:17 AM
"Damn good" is a gross understatement. She's a phenom.

Romadoc
10-30-2012, 04:28 PM
In 1996 I was fortunate to work in the "command trailor" during the shooting events of the Olympic Games. I was the interpreter for any problems involving the Italian provider of the trap machines being used there so most of the time I was able to watch the shooting from a front row seat. This because my position involved being "on call" in case of problems. While there, I had a picture taken with this young 16 year old phenom...Kim Rhode. I really enjoyed the Olympic Games. Additionally, the man in charge of the Italian group in our trailer, with whom I also had photographs taken, had won Gold at the 1964 Games.

jocko
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
How cool is that? Never been lucky enough to meet her but heard she is indeed a class act and apparently damn good with a shotgun.

could learn alot for someone that is a class act. Just sayin

u people in the far north west, really need to start looking for color TV's. I don't want to actualy say ur backwards or anything but sometimes I think ur so far behind that you actually think ur ahead. Justy sayin