PDA

View Full Version : My DD's are awesome

melissa5
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Top: Daniel Defense M4v7 upper in .223 with Aimpoint H-1 and Primary Arms 3x magnifier. This is on the DD 300 Blackout lower. I sold the 300 Blackout upper.

Bottom: Daniel Defense DDXV EZ in .223 with Daniel Defense Modular Float Rail, AAC Blackout Muzzel Brake, Rock River National Match trigger, Magpul Bad lever, and Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20. The scope has a red dot in the center of it that can be turned off or made to be very bright. Plus, with the red dot it can be easily acquired with both eyes open for up close targets. I love, love, love this rifle. It's almost like shooting a .22 with the muzzle brake on it.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7379/photo6xs.jpg

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3441/photorha.jpg

CJB
10-31-2012, 08:53 AM
am I the only guy who expected to see some double D's here!!!!!!

at least the response is the same.

Whoa nice set Melissa!!!!!

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I started to reply but bit my tongue, now I'm trying to stem the blood flow. Anybody got a popsicle?

les strat
10-31-2012, 09:18 AM
That's just not fair!!!!

melissa5
10-31-2012, 09:27 AM
I can't remember if I've posted this before or not, but it's all you're going to get. LOL Please excuse the dunlaps disease. :o

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5321/12065911.jpg

les strat
10-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Nice!!! SO when did you pick up the second DD? You have done a lot of work in the AR department in the last year.

I have been wanting the Eotech G33 magnifier, but with the cost of it (>$500), have thought about the Primary Arms magnifier. You really liking it?

Oh, and BTW, I swear I am going to start a thread on a forum that consists of a majority of women. It will be titled: "I love my 10 incher" And it will lead into this....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/GetDynamicImage.jpg

:19:

melissa5
10-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Nice!!! SO when did you pick up the second DD? You have done a lot of work in the AR department in the last year.

I have been wanting the Eotech G33 magnifier, but with the cost of it (>$500), have thought about the Vortex. You really liking it?

Oh, and BTW, I swear I am going to start a thread on a forum that consists of a majority of women. It will be titled: "I love my 10 incher" And it will lead into this....

:19:

LOL les strat! Sometimes less is more!

I just got the new .223 upper last week. Don't remember when I picked up the 300 Blackout...maybe 6-8 months ago. I decided to sell the 300 upper after thinking about how the ammo situation might be in a pinch. .223/5.56 should be more easily found than the 300 AAC. Also, by having two .223 rifles, one will be a backup to the other. I'm trying to get everything settled before the new year.

The Primary Arms magnifier works great. I haven't looked through any other brand for a comparison though. But for $100 I thought I'd give it a try. It makes the Aimpoint red dot turn into kind of an "L" shaped dot. I really prefer a scope for things out past 25 yards though. Now, the Larue mount that I'm using for the magnifier is awesome. You just pull the magnifier slightly rearward and then swing over to the right.

Next month I'll be taking a long range shooting class and am looking forward to finally getting to shoot out past 25 yards.

RedRyder
10-31-2012, 10:01 AM
This forum is getting a tad bit naughty. I love it.

les strat
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
LOL les strat! Sometimes less is more!

I just got the new .223 upper last week. Don't remember when I picked up the 300 Blackout...maybe 6-8 months ago. I decided to sell the 300 upper after thinking about how the ammo situation might be in a pinch. .223/5.56 should be more easily found than the 300 AAC. Also, by having two .223 rifles, one will be a backup to the other. I'm trying to get everything settled before the new year.

The Primary Arms magnifier works great. I haven't looked through any other brand for a comparison though. But for $100 I thought I'd give it a try. It makes the Aimpoint red dot turn into kind of an "L" shaped dot. I really prefer a scope for things out past 25 yards though. Now, the Larue mount that I'm using for the magnifier is awesome. You just pull the magnifier slightly rearward and then swing over to the right.

Next month I'll be taking a long range shooting class and am looking forward to finally getting to shoot out past 25 yards.

I have the Eotech EXPS3-4 with the center dot and 3 other BDC dots, which are made for a magnifier. I usually put the top dot on anythiing under 300 yds with no hold over (flat trajectory 50 yd zero - I love it!), but to really utilize the BDC, I need a magnifier. I might try it out. Thanks for the info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/M-420reticle20illustrationsm.jpg

OldLincoln
10-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Especially when the one just below asks "What is your wife carrying?"

yqtszhj
10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Very nice.

Does anybody besides me remember when Melissa just joined and was in the beginning phase of starting her firearms collection? Now she has a collection that I envy. Good for you.

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Very nice.

Does anybody besides me remember when Melissa just joined and was in the beginning phase of starting her firearms collection? Now she has a collection that I envy. Good for you.

I remember and she's traded off enough to make a second enviable collection too. Sorting the wheat from the Chafe apparently.

She does have excellent taste, I will give her that every day of the week. And those DD's! to die for.

melissa5
10-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys!

I have bought and sold a lot while trying to figure out what works the best for me. Just hope the govt doesn't come in and try to take them all now.

itsthelaw
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Those are beautiful Melissa! I am trying to find the right optic for my DDM4V1, but have to navigate my cross-dominant eye issue. My next one will be a middie, but I'm just trying to find the optic, buy enough PMAGs, and stock up on ammo at this point. Enjoy them! I've always said that nobody enjoys DDs more than the woman who owns them and the man who paid for them (if that's the case). :)

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys!

I have bought and sold a lot while trying to figure out what works the best for me. Just hope the govt doesn't come in and try to take them all now.

Here's my plan if they try to start collecting them.

I say we all meet up at Johnh's house, that will be the central rally point. Geographical center of the old United States of America, Under GOD, with Liberty and lack of Muslims. (Guess that pissed off the libs huh?)

We'll group up there, with all our guns and bibles that we cling to, and start cleaning house. (Not Johns house, I meant the country, I think he already has a house cleaner.)

I'm pondering leaving now so I can be there to help some with organization and mostly get first dibs on a good place to lay my head before the crowd. Not sure how big his house is, Scoundrel can bring his motor home, with that high output 350 he should be there by Christmas, that should sleep 30 or so if we store the guns securely someplace else.

My van has 6 captains chairs so along with the floor it could probably sleep 15 or so close friends. Course it's a Ford so it might be Thanksgiving before I get there if it makes it at all.

Are you with me or what?

melissa5
10-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Those are beautiful Melissa! I am trying to find the right optic for my DDM4V1, but have to navigate my cross-dominant eye issue. My next one will be a middie, but I'm just trying to find the optic, buy enough PMAGs, and stock up on ammo at this point. Enjoy them! I've always said that nobody enjoys DDs more than the woman who owns them and the man who paid for them (if that's the case). :)

Thanks!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/mapm22330bl.html $9.99 30-round PMAGs...not sure about shipping.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_30_RD_Standard_PMAG_Black_p/mag211blk.htm $12.25 with free shipping

LOL on your funny!

I like your plan, Bawanna....meet you there. :p

CJB
10-31-2012, 04:48 PM
This forum is getting a tad bit naughty. I love it.

You're just getting dialed in to the sense of humor here....

itsthelaw
10-31-2012, 05:18 PM
So much for Bawanna keeping politics out of it! Ha! Thanks for the links Melissa.

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Not politics, potential reality.

jocko
10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
there will be a post election victory party when Romney kicks ass at ol jocko's homefront. Please bring ur own drinks, food and lawn chair. I am just providing the property and I will have the wife scrubb up the ol outhouse for you slobering far western people, who have never really seen a real outhouse.

itsthelaw
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Chances are good that they will come for all the "super moderators" first to shut down all gun communication. Maybe we should have a "safe word/phrase" that Bawanna or designated people in line of command can post that will alert us all that he has been silenced. We just have to make sure Jocko doesn't spell it by accident in one of his posts. That could be tough.

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Chances are good that they will come for all the "super moderators" first to shut down all gun communication. Maybe we should have a "safe word/phrase" that Bawanna or designated people in line of command can post that will alert us all that he has been silenced. We just have to make sure Jocko doesn't spell it by accident in one of his posts. That could be tough.

Just in case this happens I'm gonna leave the guns in the safe and bury myself in the backyard in an air tight bag so they can't find me.

Jocko, I was born in an outhouse. Course that was Missouri, (not misery, well maybe for my momma) and not out here in the untamed West.

AIRret
10-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's bought lots of guns in the past 12 months. I've bought
5 handguns and a share in a DD.
Do you think the powers that be will be coming to my house?

Bawanna
10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
You got DD's too? I hate myself for asking but I'm sure those in the know want to know ya know?

JFootin
10-31-2012, 10:20 PM
DD's = Double D's? One of these gals is Dolly Parton! :banplease:

AIRret
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
My Husband and I are sharing a DD M4V5 with an EOTech XPS 2-0 optic., and we both
love it! We wanted to buy the DD before they became illegal.
But now that the subject has come up I have a question. This weekend my husband sighted the EOTech in and it worked fine. When I shot it I had a 1" group at 25 yards, but I was off the target by several inches. Is this normal? Am I going to have to reset the sights when I shoot? And does the fact that I shoot left handed and my husband shoots right have anything to do with it.?
Thanks in advance.

All I'll say is that I have the only DD that I'm interested in!!

Hey Bawanna, you have at least two cyber wives with DD's

melissa5
11-01-2012, 05:32 AM
My Husband and I are sharing a DD M4V5 with an EOTech XPS 2-0 optic., and we both
But now that the subject has come up I have a question. This weekend my husband sighted the EOTech in and it worked fine. When I shot it I had a 1" group at 25 yards, but I was off the target by several inches. Is this normal? Am I going to have to reset the sights when I shoot? And does the fact that I shoot left handed and my husband shoots right have anything to do with it.?
Thanks in advance.

Was your husband also off the target by the same amount? The reason I ask that is because if he sighted in for a distance other than 25 yards, then you will be off the target at 25 yards. For example, if he sighted for a 100 zero, then you will be about 1-2 inches low at 25 yards.

AIRret
11-01-2012, 05:46 AM
No he sighted it in at 25 yards and we shot from the same bench.

jeepster09
11-01-2012, 06:57 AM
I really like Double D's.....

melissa5
11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
No he sighted it in at 25 yards and we shot from the same bench.

Interesting! Are you to the left/right or over/under the bullseye? If over/under, do you use a 6 'clock hold or center of bullseye?

Chuck54
11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice pair !

AIRret
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Interesting! Are you to the left/right or over/under the bullseye? If over/under, do you use a 6 'clock hold or center of bullseye?

At 25 yards we were both 1 inch low (that's how we zeroed it). But my group(s) were 2" to the left. We swapped out the gun 4 or 5 times and we got
the same result. It's a mystery to me but I've never shared a gun before. Normally, we make sure we can run each others guns (so we can if we have to) but we don't worry about setting them up for both users.

melissa5
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM
At 25 yards we were both 1 inch low (that's how we zeroed it). But my group(s) were 2" to the left. We swapped out the gun 4 or 5 times and we got
the same result. It's a mystery to me but I've never shared a gun before. Normally, we make sure we can run each others guns (so we can if we have to) but we don't worry about setting them up for both users.

Well, I'm out of ideas too. Hopefully, someone will step in with a little more knowledge.

AIRret
11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, I'm out of ideas too. Hopefully, someone will step in with a little more knowledge.

Well, thanks for the try. If all else fails I'll get ahold of EOTech and see what they say.

Bawanna
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Our dept instructors argue that two officers can not share a rifle because each shoots differently. For awhile before we got enough so each has his own we paired officers who could both hit without a adjustment.

I maintain once an optic is sighted, it doesn't matter who is behind it. If they are sighting properly and do the same hold they will both group in the same spot.

One of you is consistently pulling or not holding the sight picture correctly. With a scope I've always gone for a zero hold, not a six oclock like some hand guns.

In your case I'd adjust the scope so it's zero'd for you. Shoot several consistent groups so you know your getting a good average.

Then have hubby (real life hubby) shoot without adjustment. If all things stay the same he should shoot 2" to the right.

Your both grouping so I've relatively certain it's not a scope/sight issue.

AIRret
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
It looks like we will be heading back to the range. That's always fun!!!!!!
For the DD we will have to wait for a decent day, but God will be good.

During the winter most of the time we shoot at a local indoor range. The price is good and it's very close, but they don't allow the AR.

MO_Soldier
11-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Bawanna is right, however the Army has taught me to have a different opinion on the matter.

In basic training, every soldier learns his/her "battle sight zero"
Mine is 7 down, 4 right. I can pick up ANY M16 down range, set it to mechanical zero first, and THEN to battle sight zero, and without firing I will be zeroed.

I never discovered another soldier with my exact battle sight zero, so I know for a fact that sight pictures and stances change, which alters how you sight in your rifle.

Hope that helps. :)

Bawanna
11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Your talking a factory ghost ring iron sight and your spot on. You find the mechanical zero and determine what needs to happen for how you look thru the ring.

With a scope or a red dot there should be much less subject to interpretation. Hence the reason scopes and red dots are generally (but not always) more accurate especially for new shooters. The magnification of course helps immensely also but the cross hair is more precise.

MO_Soldier
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Hmmmm......I get the feeling that there are some scope/optic mechanics that I should know to understand fully. :-/

Bawanna
11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
You probably know as much as I do which sadly isn't saying much. It's just that your eye can be slightly off on a ghost ring where as if your eye is lined up on a cross hair your looking at it more consistently. At least that's my theory weak as it might be.

Planedude
11-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Zero of any sights wind up being different for everyone. Cheek weld to the top of a stock, grip and shoulder fit of the stock will never be the same between shooters. Once the cheek weld is done your skull shape and size dictate where the eyball sits realitive to the sights.
As an example, I have a pretty big head (round not tall):o. With my shotguns, the high comb of my Trap gun (Remington 1100 B grade) puts my eyball in the perfect spot to sight down the (normal hight) rib and ink blot the clays. My Skeet gun (Remington 1100 B grade also) has a low comb (Skeet) stock and I always fight to maintain the right sight picture. I have shot alot of straights in Trap, and alot of 24's in Skeet after 20+yrs of shooting the games. Fast mounting Skeet stocks give my eyeballs some fits.
Find an AR stock/grip combo with a fit that works for you and then work on "hitting the same mark" with every pull to the shoulder. That will make finding your zero much easier.
Good luck and enjoy shooting your way to your happy place...:biggrin1:

les strat
11-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it's not something you are habitually doing as you pull the trigger? With an Eotech, it should hit (depending on zero) where the dot is. By consistently hitting left, you may be "pushing" the weapon slighly anticipating the shot. Individuals vary on how they shoulder a weapon, but at only 25 yds with an Eotech, I would expect it to be consistent. IDK.

Melissa is right, an inch low at 25 yds is usually considered a 100 yd zero. Anything past 100 yds is drop.

25 yd zero will be somewhat high at 100 yds... about 5 inches or so, and back on at past 300.

1/2" low at 25 yds is a 50 yd zero and is the flattest trajectory out to 300 yds. You do not have to use any holdover at this zero and you should still thoeretically be able to hit no more than 3 or so inches off in that range. It is the prefect zero for an Eotech or other red dot for point blank shooting.

I wouldn't always trust the "inch low at 25 yds" thing and consider it on at 100. Always check your zero at the intended yardage you want the zero. But as a rule, these are pretty darn close.

CJB
11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
for those who wanted the double D's......

( 0 Y O )

LorenzoB
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Lopsided?

AIRret
11-03-2012, 07:46 AM
If I'm doing something like pulling to the left than I'm doing it consistently because all my
groups were in the same location and they were Very tight.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
We will spend more time at the range and get this thing figured out.

7shot
11-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Every time I read the title to this post I smile, thank you. Now, take a deep breath and gently squeeze that trigger.:D

LorenzoB
11-03-2012, 09:55 AM
If I'm doing something like pulling to the left than I'm doing it consistently because all my
groups were in the same location and they were Very tight.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
We will spend more time at the range and get this thing figured out.

I was referring to CJB's last post. LOL!