PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma open carry

mluikey
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
The law went into affect yesterday Nov 1 at midnight. So today I opted to semi-open carry. I am carrying my K9 IWB appendix in a Dale Fricke Archangel. I am still wearing a cover garment except it is unbuttoned. So if it happens to blow open no visits from the police for brandishing.

I am not a huge proponent for open carry however it gives us a little freedom. I still plan on concealed carry 99.9% of the time but there may be an occasion when OC will happen.

Right now Oklahoma is a "shall issue" state in regards to concealed carry license and that is what will give you the opportunity to open carry (if you have the cc license). Next step is to try to get them to pass Constitutional carry, but I'm sure that is a ways off.

Knight92
11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
The really good thing was yesterday Tulsa had NO calls for Man with a gun! Just proves there will not be blood running through the streets as the opposition had said there would be with open carry.

I am very happy about the OC I like you don't have to worry about accidentally showing my gun to some one when I lean over etc.

Longitude Zero
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
There were also NO calls for service on this matter in OKC. In fact all three channels were in Bricktown and found NOBODY open carrying. The only ones were a group that had publicized their intent and had breakfast just after midnight at a local restaurant.

mluikey I know personally many of the bills authors/supporters and Constitutional Carry is so far in the future we will probably all die of old age first.

The primary benefactors of this are the CCW who inadvertently expose their weapon. Under the current statute business need no longer post a no guns sign. They are allowed to handle it on a case by case basis.

mluikey
11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
There were also NO calls for service on this matter in OKC. In fact all three channels were in Bricktown and found NOBODY open carrying. The only ones were a group that had publicized their intent and had breakfast just after midnight at a local restaurant.

mluikey I know personally many of the bills authors/supporters and Constitutional Carry is so far in the future we will probably all die of old age first.

The primary benefactors of this are the CCW who inadvertently expose their weapon. Under the current statute business need no longer post a no guns sign. They are allowed to handle it on a case by case basis.

I personally am not too concerned with Constitutional Carry, but it is another freedom that we do not have. I agree with the accidental exposure situation, for me, that is the greatest advantage. I wasn't aware of the issues with the signage.

I check in on a local forum to see what is going on and it seems pretty quiet on the Western front.

TD2K
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
it was all I could do not to strap on every firearm I own and waltz down to the local wal-martS at 12:01, just cause I could.

but, I'm not a big fan of it, probably won't ever open carry. Just don't have to be as self conscious about printing or my shirt tail exposing my firearm if I reach for something on a high shelf in a store.

TD2K
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
mluikey, you still taking Spencer's class tomorrow? if so, see ya there!

Longitude Zero
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I want to go up to all the naysayers, tweak their nose and say, "See we told you so MORON."

Barth
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I want to go up to all the naysayers, tweak their nose and say, "See we told you so MORON."

I was living in Florida when they adopted one of the first shall issue carry permit laws.
Liberal news media voiced loud concerns of Wild West shootouts in the streets.
As we all know that wasn't the case.

I'm not an advocate of open carry though.
If made legal here I would still conceal my weapon(s).
The element of surprise is something I wish to retain.

mluikey
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
mluikey, you still taking Spencer's class tomorrow? if so, see ya there!

Unfortunately I am not going to make it. I wanted to, but to many other things (honey-dos) came up. I will have to make the next one.

Out of curiosity, are you going to the Tactical Conference in Memphis in March?

Longitude Zero
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm not an advocate of open carry though.

I'm not either except that it got rid of the problems of arrest if your weapon was inadvertantly exposed. There were not a lot of them but I know of several.

Barth
11-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm not either except that it got rid of the problems of arrest if your weapon was inadvertanlty exposed. There were not a lot of them but I know of several.

I certainly agree with that rational.
Here in Florida the law was updated for such circumstances.

The 2012 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
View Entire Chapter
790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298; s. 1, ch. 2011-145.

TD2K
11-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Unfortunately I am not going to make it. I wanted to, but to many other things (honey-dos) came up. I will have to make the next one.

Out of curiosity, are you going to the Tactical Conference in Memphis in March?

that stinks. you missed a great class.

I haven't planned on going, but you never know.