PDA

View Full Version : P9 Covert constant jams / Kahr to the rescue!

Mako
03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
You guys were right. I appreciate the feedback. Kahr replaced the ejector at no charge. Took it to the range today and shot 50 perfect rounds.

After approx 400 rounds my P9 is still having FTE issues. 350 of them have been range shells (Winchester 115gr FMJ new shells and Atlanta Arms 115gr FMJ reloads supplied by my range)50 rounds have been Federal 115gr JHP.The spent casing is being caught between the rear of the slide opening and the end of the barrel. Almost as though the casing is unable to fully eject before the new round is trying to chamber and getting stuck. This is my second Kahr pistol. The first, a P380 gave me quite a few FTF and FTE issues but smoothed out after about 300 rounds and runs great now so I was hoping for the same with this one. I bought the gun "new" from a gun show about 3 weeks ago so I don't know how old it is or how long its been sitting if that has anything to do with it. The s/n is YC0623 and there is no "U" on the trigger guard so I'm pretty sure I'm the original owner.

Kahr Replies: It's a P9 Covert 2002 model and thought the recoil spring may need replacing.

I replaced the spring and no change.

My question: Does old guns purchased new have time to "set up" enough that grease or oil could stiffened up to cause this type of FTE on every clip?

Bawanna
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
If you haven't already it sure wouldn't hurt to do a thorough cleaning and lube. I guess the answer is yes if could contribute, 2002, that's a long time.
Anything that slows the slide movement down is not gonna help. Hence the new spring. See Mr. Jocko's new gun entry I think under the tech section. Treat it like new, clean, lube it up do the hand cycle drill and shoot it some more. Almost looks like an ejector issue but hard to tell. It's extracting but not even started to kick out, a little lube might speed things up.

rkirk
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I am no expert, but check the ejector, too see if it is broken or shortened. If you can clean the chamber till it shines and last check the extractor to see if it is chipped or broken or very dirty. If you have already tried these remedies I am sorry for the late advice. That is the extant of my failure to eject and feed knowledge. Good luck with the pistol, from what I read about the convert model they are a pistol worth having.

-- Richard

Raoul
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd also note that I have heard bad reports about Atlanta Arms ammo and FTE. A fella on another forum could not get it to work right in a Sig.