PDA

View Full Version : S&w mp40pro

garyb
11-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I've been shooting my PM40 for IDPA to improve my gun handling with my carry weapon. Things have been going great, but the scores are limited due to multiple mag changes (low capacity) and longer distances (shorter sight radius). It has been challenging to sort out the issues I have, vs the issues stimulated by a short low capacity gun. Anyway, advice was coming in to the effect that I would rocket my shooting with a more competitive gun and this would translate to my handling with the PM. I hope this will be the case. I have looked at numerous competion type guns, Glock 35, 1911's, Springfield XD's, etc... and waited to see the MP40PRO 5" version. I held one today and immediately fell in love with it. It was exactly what I was looking for and I purchased it. Now it's on to telling the wifey and purchasing a holster, extra mags and mag pouches.

RRP
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Congrats on your new purchase; great range gun.

I hope you have a comfortable sofa. :D

getsome
11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Congrats garyb....Thats a great shooting pistol....I have a M&P .40 full size but not the Pro so yours has a better factory trigger...My pistols trigger was a little stiff and gritty at first but after a couple thousand rounds it feels much better now and the gun is far more accurate than my tired old eyes can see to shoot...

My son shoots a S&W 1911 for IDPA and everything else and while I very much respect the 1911 platform I just can't get it to work for me...I too looked at a Glock and a Springfield XD and both are super nice pistols but just didn't feel right but the M&P with the small back strap feels like butta in my hands...I'm sure you are going to like yours...

As for IDPA it would be hard to shoot some of those stages with a PM sized pistol but it would be great real world training but if competition and higher scores are what you are after then the M&P will be the way to go...Either way IDPA is fantastic for real world practice and will really test your shooting skills much more than just range shooting at a stationary target...

Good luck with your new baby and when the wife cools down go look into a M&P .22 for inexpensive range plinking...they feel exactly like the center fire pistols even in weight and you can shoot all day long for next to nothing...Good luck with your M&P Pro!!!

garyb
11-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the comments. I would love to get the .22 cal version of the M&P, but I will need to pace my purchases. Being that I reload for my 40, I am thinking that this new gun will suffice for range time. However, I always feel like this is the last gun....

I also hope to continue to rotate my PM into my IDPA time, just to maintain my skill with it and see how much the MPPro enhances my ability with it. Yea, the competition will always be part of this game (competition with myself, my guns and those around me). For me, these scores serve as a barometer for how much progress I make....overall. Getting this MPPRO will point out my shooting issues....it's all me to be worked on now and I can not blame the gun. Ultimately, I realize the same goes for the PM. I just need to figure out what "I" need to do to continue improve with it. I am hoping the MP will help me sort some things out. It is as good as they get. So, I am excited about this opening a new door in my shooting progress. It is a beautiful gun and the training is a beautiful thing and will continue with my CCW. Exciting things going on and lots of fun stuff.