PDA

View Full Version : New to the Kahr Family

MilesDavis
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Yesterday, after doing several weeks of research on the internet, I decided to buy my first handgun, a Karh CW9. I am a fairly experienced shotgun and rifle shooter. I am glad to be a part of the Kahr community and it seems like y'all really have a great thing going on here. I've already cleaned the gun as recommended by the proper prep of a new Kahr sticky, but being new to handguns, I am not crystal clear on how to disassemble the magazine to check the spring orientation, could someone walk me through the process? I know it probably seems like a stupid question, but I have no handgun experience and would rather not bugger my magazine up.

Other than that I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY NEW BABY TO THE RANGE TOMORROW!

Tinman507
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Miles,

Look at the bottom of the mag. The baseplate has a little dimple/button
Press in on that and slide the baseplate forward. You'll see the spring begin to appear in the mag housing. BE CAREFUL. It will shoot out and become lost.
SLOWLY slide the baseplate off while holding your thumb over the hole where the spring is. Gently release the pressure off the spring. Set it aside and the follower should slide right out. Make note of the shape of the spring. It needs to parallel the angle of the housing on reassembly. Backwards will cause problems.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the Forum!

Bawanna
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Welcom Miles. Personally I'd not sweat the mag orientation thing unless you have issues but since you got all the way till tomorrow and it's a good way of bonding why not.

All you gotta do is push in on the little pin on the base of the mag. While pushing that in you can slide the base forward. Once it starts forward you don't have to hold the pin any longer.

Then just carefully cover the plate under as it's like a little jack in the box and will want to pop out. It's not a huge amount of pressure and not hard to hold but expect it and be ready.

Then just ease the spring out and you can just lay it on top of the mag body and the top of the spring should kind of lay natural at the same angle, up in the front of the mag.

The follower that the rounds ride on may or may not come out with the spring. You can tap it down and it will slide out too. While your there you can make sure it slide freely up and down the length of the mag body.

Reassemble in reverse order, kind of hold the spring and inner plate in and slide the base plate back on until the little pin fills the hole and your ready for tomorrow.

Glad you found us, looking forward to a good range report. Feel free to exagerate and make ridicules claims. Kind of like fish stories.

espresso
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Welcome miles.

Here's a pic of the right and wrong way to assemble a kahr mag

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=105383#post105383

If you bought your CW9 new it will prob be really tight at first.
After a few hundred rounds mine felt like a different gun, things smoothed up a lot after a few range trips.

great gun enjoy!

MilesDavis
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, the spring was already in the correct position, and I only had to chase my magazine spring around my room once, so. . . SUCCESS! Hopefully after I get out of class tomorrow I'll make it to walmart for some ammo and then to the range.

MilesDavis
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Also does anybody have a favorite cheap ammo for the break in period, I've heard these things will eat pretty much anything you feed them, but any suggestions would be welcome.

rjt123
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I like CCI Blazer for range ammo. The aluminum is cheaper than the brass. I've never had any problems with it.

espresso
11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Blazer, Walmart Federal, S&B mine eats it all just fine.
I stay away from steal case ammo just to be on the safe side.