PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum intro

OlympicFox
11-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I've owned several Kahrs for a while now, but finally got around to joining this forum.

My first Kahr was a K9 & it's still one of my favorites for carry. When I'm a bit too lazy to pack the weight of the K9, I usually switch to the PM40. OTOH, some days call for something more "manly" like a 1911. :53:

The wife recently commandeered my Sig P238, so I got myself a little P380 - a great pocket gun/BUG.

In between the K9 and the P380, we've owned a CM9, PM9 and P40. My "plan" was to replace the PM40 with one of the others as a softer/easier to shoot, but I kept going back to the PM40.

BTW, we live in the NW corner of Washington state where concealed carry is quite common - and as a result, rarely needed. :D

Bawanna
11-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Hell yes. Another Washington member. Nice country over there, been a long time since I been over there. Used to wander around Sequim semi regularly.

Glad you found us.

OlympicFox
11-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I 'escaped' Chicago when I was a kid, and then the day my wife retired, both of us 'escaped' California. :biggrin1:

The next time you're here, drop in for a cup of Joe.

Hell yes. Another Washington member. Nice country over there, been a long time since I been over there. Used to wander around Sequim semi regularly.

Glad you found us.

wyntrout
11-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. I thought the K9 was just too heavy for CC. It's a Florida thing... shorts and untucked shirts for me! I found that the size wasn't the issue. I carry a P40 and a PM9 mostly. The P380 I wear or carry around the house... or just carry it for a quick trip to the store... or to the doctor's office when I might have to disrobe. I carry a paper document carrier and put my phone, gun, and knife, etc., in that.

Only once in a while do I carry my PM45. I just got a P9 and now am considering that, too... such a nice sized pistol... and 8 ounces lighter than the K9. Everything but the P380's fit in my horse hide Mini Tucks, so I can switch guns easily... just have to mind what magazine and holder I have on.

Wynn:)

yqtszhj
11-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here

JERRY
11-11-2012, 06:45 AM
welcome, i too started out with the steel Kahrs (a decade or so back for me).....still think they (K9) are the best guns made by Kahr.

LorenzoB
11-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum! My wife and I might need to escape CA too soon and meet you for that cup of joe. A couple years ago we stayed on Whidbey Island. It was beautiful and we need to go back soon!

Bawanna
11-11-2012, 09:34 AM
You somewhere in the Sequim area Olympic? I need to get back over to the Olympic national park too, that's always a fun place to look around on a nice day with a car with a good cooling system.

Lorenzo, get out while you can, pick up Old Lincoln and his lovely wife on the way, we'll make a space for ya. I'm not on Whidey Island but I can have you there in an hour.

Maybe rather than bailing myself and running away from this ultra liberal west side, we can import right thinking full human beings and take it back. It's beautiful country, best water in the world, a little damp sometimes but much better on Olympics side of the strait.

OlympicFox
11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Yep, the K9 is a bit heavy, especially for newbies and those accustomed to carrying ultra-lite single-stack polymer guns. My first CCW gun was an M&P 9c that was only very slightly lighter than the K9 empty, and heavier with a full magazine. Carrying the PM40 was much more comfortable, and my Sig P238 was better yet.

But, living in the Pacific Northwest where Carhartt is the norm vs. a T-shirt, I like a cartridge that has the ability to go through several layers of heavy-duty work clothing and still get the job done. Hence, my preference for either 9mm or 40 S&W.

However, the PM40 is a bit of a handful to shoot, so mine's well endowed with grip tape. Great except when it's T-shirt weather and the grip tape saws at my backside. :mad: Back to either the K9 or my Dan Wesson Guardian 1911 in 9mm - both with smooth wood grips. A new Sig P938 is arriving next week that's about the same weight as the PM9/40, but with thin 1911-style grips that conceal so well.

I got the P380 when the wife stole my Sig P238. It's great in uber hot weather or as a BUG.

As for holsters? I'm not much of a fan of Crossbreed. I don't like the sharp metal clips and the sloped sight channel is a serious problem if the gun has a CrimsonTrace because the sight channel forces the muzzle down and the CT jams. I've actually had to drop my drawers to unholster my PM40 with the CT. :eek: Tim Thurner at TTGunleather.com makes very nice leather holsters, both IWB & OWB and he has all of the molds for Kahrs with CT's. His "Mike's Special" IWB is my favorite.

Welcome to the forum. I thought the K9 was just too heavy for CC. It's a Florida thing... shorts and untucked shirts for me! I found that the size wasn't the issue. I carry a P40 and a PM9 mostly. The P380 I wear or carry around the house... or just carry it for a quick trip to the store... or to the doctor's office when I might have to disrobe. I carry a paper document carrier and put my phone, gun, and knife, etc., in that.

Only once in a while do I carry my PM45. I just got a P9 and now am considering that, too... such a nice sized pistol... and 8 ounces lighter than the K9. Everything but the P380's fit in my horse hide Mini Tucks, so I can switch guns easily... just have to mind what magazine and holder I have on.

Wynn:)

OlympicFox
11-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I picked up my wife from work in Oakland the day she retired and we drove straight to West Puget Sound looking for "the" house. We slaked to had real estate agents in every town starting with Shelton and ending with Whidbey Island. Found the house before we had to take that ferry, though. We can see Whidbey Island and the San Juans from our living room.

Welcome to the forum! My wife and I might need to escape CA too soon and meet you for that cup of joe. A couple years ago we stayed on Whidbey Island. It was beautiful and we need to go back soon!

OlympicFox
11-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Just down the road from John Wayne Marina.

OK, I'm late getting out the door for today's fun steel match.

You somewhere in the Sequim area Olympic? I need to get back over to the Olympic national park too, that's always a fun place to look around on a nice day with a car with a good cooling system.

Lorenzo, get out while you can, pick up Old Lincoln and his lovely wife on the way, we'll make a space for ya. I'm not on Whidey Island but I can have you there in an hour.

Maybe rather than bailing myself and running away from this ultra liberal west side, we can import right thinking full human beings and take it back. It's beautiful country, best water in the world, a little damp sometimes but much better on Olympics side of the strait.

yqtszhj
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I need to get out there and check it out. Oldest son is on whidbey when he is in country and maybe I can get out there before he leaves the area. I looked at home prices and some of them aren't too bad compared to here (looks like prices are depressed and have dropped in the last few years, duh???)

eireguy
11-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Welcome

OlympicFox
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks!

Welcome

7shot
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum! For me, I haven't carried or shot anything sweeter than my K9. Even though its shorts & T's 90% of the time for me here in Texas I consider the minimal extra weight the K9 brings to the table a small sacrifice for its superb shooting and handling of this pistol.

Sage
11-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Welcome from the great state of North Georgia.

This is not the busiest forum but by far the classiest. (most classy? whatever)

OlympicFox
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
North Georgia?

Is that a new state, or was I sleeping in my PolySci class? :D I'm guessing that North Georgia is classier than South Georgia? :biggrin1:

Classy guns tend to attract classy folks and vice versa. Not too many folks cross-shop Kahrs and Kel-Tec, eh?

FYI, the Sig forum is also pretty classy - well, except for the mods.

Welcome from the great state of North Georgia.

This is not the busiest forum but by far the classiest. (most classy? whatever)

Bawanna
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Sig has a forum? Who knew?

OlympicFox
11-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but unlike the mods here, the Sig mods don't have a sense of humor. Just my usual less than humble opinion, of course. :biggrin1:

Sig has a forum? Who knew?

JFootin
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Well, I live in the state of Western North Carolina. We have the beautiful mountains, the Smoky Mountains National Park and the Cherokee Indian Reservation. WNC is to NC sort of like Austria is to Germany. JMHO.

Bawanna
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but unlike the mods here, the Sig mods don't have a sense of humor. Just my usual less than humble opinion, of course. :biggrin1:

Well we try to stay very serious and business like here at all times. No horseplay. Occasionally Greg or Justin will pop in with some off the wall crack you up kind of stuff though. We try to tolerate that some as long as it don't get to out of control.

As for myself I spend my spare time perusing the rules and guideline threads looking for violations. To me there's just no time or need for any of this foolishness that's going around all the time.
Too much horseplay when a man should be eaten, workin, or sleeping.

JFootin
11-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Bawanna, wake up! You are spouting nonsense!

Tinman507
11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
No, that was the clearest & most concise that he's ever been.

LorenzoB
11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
What fun is it if you can't have any fun? ;)

Bawanna
11-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, that being serious was the worst 10 minutes of my life.

You guys wanna choose up sides a smell armpits?

MikeyKahr
11-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Well we try to stay very serious and business like here at all times. No horseplay. Occasionally Greg or Justin will pop in with some off the wall crack you up kind of stuff though. We try to tolerate that some as long as it don't get to out of control.

As for myself I spend my spare time perusing the rules and guideline threads looking for violations. To me there's just no time or need for any of this foolishness that's going around all the time.
Too much horseplay when a man should be eaten, workin, or sleeping.

I'm thankful. One of the few posts of B's lately that didn't mention monkeys. I was starting to feel bad for the monkeys.

Bawanna
11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm thankful. One of the few posts of B's lately that didn't mention monkeys. I was starting to feel bad for the monkeys.

Lord I apologize the monkeys and the starving cannibal pigmy's in ethiopia. It was thoughtless of me and improper.

There really is not proof of the missing link theory even though we have one in the White house.

OlympicFox
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
That was almost politically correct. :D

Lord I apologize the monkeys and the starving cannibal pigmy's in ethiopia. It was thoughtless of me and improper.

There really is not proof of the missing link theory even though we have one in the White house.

JFootin
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Bawanna is channeling Larry the Cable Guy! :w00t: B, are you wearing a shirt with the sleeves cut off? If not, adjust your attire.

Bawanna
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes I am, how did you know that? Are you a profiler too?

OlympicFox
11-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I grew up in Berkeley - did I say that out loud in a gun forum?? So yes, I recognize Politically Chicken hyperbole when I see it. :D

Yes I am, how did you know that? Are you a profiler too?

Bawanna
11-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I grew up in Berkeley - did I say that out loud in a gun forum?? So yes, I recognize Politically Chicken hyperbole when I see it. :D

I'm glad you made it out alive! Are you wearing a tie dyed shirt by any chance? Just a scientific wild arsed guess on my part.

OlympicFox
11-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Gawd no!

Actually, my picked out this shirt for me this afternoon.

http://serenitysys.com/shooting/Call_Me_Old_Fashioned_IMG_4258.jpg

I'm glad you made it out alive! Are you wearing a tie dyed shirt by any chance? Just a scientific wild arsed guess on my part.