PDA

View Full Version : Peep, peep - Wow

MW surveyor
11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
As most of you gentle readers know, I bought a 1022 a few weeks back.
Well, I've done a few mods but most are internal (auto bolt release, polished up the trigger group, nylon bolt buffer, etc.)
Externally added sling swivels and sling.

AND INSTALLED A WILLIAMS REAR PEEP SIGHT WITH FIRE SIGHT FRONT!

Ordered the sight from grabagun on last Wednesday morning, sight came in on Saturday. Installed Saturday almost immediately. After looking through the peep noticed that while it did draw my eye to the front sight thought that it need a smaller aperture. The sight came with a 0.095" aperture and Williams makes one that is 0.050", however nobody had any in stock (and if they did the sight was $8.99 + shipping). After mulling the problem over had an aha! moment. Hobby tubing comes in small OD and ID's. Took the peep to the local hardware store and found some aluminum tubing with an OD of 0.093 and ID of 0.062. Cut off a very small piece and used lock tight to hold it in place. You can see the insert in the first picture.

Took it to the range today to sight it in and what an immediate improvement as you can see by the target below. The large target in the center were sight in. Upper right and left slow fire for accuracy/groups and the lower ones were just kind of blazing away. Rounds were shot 25 yards sitting, using the sling. With the Federal Automatch, should have stopped at 3 rounds.

I'm definitely sold on the rear peep and front fiber optic.

les strat
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Good shooting! Glad you are liking the rifle.

I have fallen back in love with .22 as well. It's fun to shoot out a ragged hole at 50 yds for pennies.

downtownv
11-14-2012, 04:39 AM
I Love my Williams firesides on my K-9 green rear; red front

Popeye
11-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Glad to hear your enjoying your new 10/22. It seems like I hardly ever go to the range anymore without taking my 10/22 and 22/45 MKIII. I have the Williams Fire Sights on my SKS and like you mentioned they make a world of difference. They are a very nice product at a very affordable price. Congrats and nice shooting.

MW surveyor
11-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all of the encouragement.

If there is a downside to the fiber optic front sight is that it is just a bit large in diameter. With my eyes the front sight completely obscures the small bull at 25 yards and beyond (course I can't even see the small red dots!). So shooting at the above targets was kinda like - just hold in the same place. Other than that, they glow pretty good and the small aperture in the rear sight really focuses the front.

Ikeo74
11-14-2012, 07:33 AM
I think you will find that the small rear aperature does not improve accuracy of the gun. It mearly slows down how fast you can focus in on the target. Old tests have shown that larger aperatures do not affect accuracy of the gun in a negative way and speed up how fast you can re-focus after a shot. The eye automatically centers the front sight in the aperature regardles of the size. When I qualified for expert marksman with the M1 Gerand back in the late 50's we would unscrew the peep sight out of the rear sight and shoot it without the small peep. Accuracy was just as good and aiming was much quicker. A sharp pointed front sight (pyrimid shaped) would inprove accuracy on small targets instead of a round dot that covers the bullseye. Aim by placing the top point of the front sight on the exact center of the bull. Try it for yourself.

joshh
11-14-2012, 07:46 AM
It seems like I hardly ever go to the range anymore without taking my 10/22 and 22/45 MKIII.

same here. i never thought i'd be considering "my next 10/22" but i really enjoy shooting it & my mkIII. with the price of ammo, i bring 1 or 2 "big guns" to the range with a limited amount of rounds and then grab the .22's and a bulk box of bullets for them.
For anyone looking to add a 10/22 to their collection: Dicks Sporting Goods has them in their leaked black friday sales flier.

JohnR
11-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Cool, I just put Garand sights on my 10-22 and can't wait to go shoot it.

johnh
11-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Lots of neat stuff you can do with a 10/22 these days. I am going to pick up one of the MRI guns next Spring. They are essentially a factory tricked out version with mods a buyer is likely to do anyway:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-22LR-Ambidextrous-Thumbhole-Stock-Rifle.asp

I ran one a bit at Media Day last year at SHOT and was quite impressed with the accuracy. They are real tack drivers right out of the box.

MW surveyor
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Ikeo74 - I hear what you are saying, however the smaller aperture works the best for me as it sharpens the front sight for my older eyes. The fiber optic really glows and thus makes sighting even easier, granted that a smaller fiber optic or a sharp pointed front sight would be better but being as cheap as I am, this will work for what the gun is intended to do. I did shoot it a few times without the insert and for me, the smaller peep was better overall.

JohnR - I think that you will be happy with the Garand type sights.

JohnH - I've heard some good things about the MRI, so good luck.

I am going to do a bit more stoning of the hammer and sear to get the trigger pull down just a tad more. Hope I don't get it down to far so that it goes full auto!

gb6491
11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Good shooting and nice work on the sight:)
Regards,
Greg