PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr .40 (CW 40) jams/won't cycleI bought a brand new Kahr .40 (CW 40) from a rep

gksmalt
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I bought a brand new Kahr .40 (CW 40) from a reputable gun shop about a month ago for use as my new concealed carry weapon ... I've pumped 225-250 rounds thru it in an effort to break it in (Win FMJ) ... but even after firing that many rounds thru it, it only cycles rounds correctly <25% of the time (if that!) ... it ejects the spent round, but does not load the round from the magazine (from either a 6 round mag or 7 round mag - it makes no difference) ... with the slide stuck in the rear position (but not locked like after the last round is fired) ... I have to manually work the slide (push/pull the slide forward to get it to chamber the next round) anybody else have this problem? ... I also have a hard time reassembling it after disassembly to clean it - specifically, getting the slide release lever/pin to seat properly and the slide to work properly after reassembly ... very frustrating/disappointing.

Ikeo74
11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Your problem usually happens when people are using re-loads that are too low powered to cycle the slide, or cheep range ammo. Are you using either of those?

OR, as jocko says in the post below, you could be "limp wristing" the gun.

jocko
11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
takeit back to ur reptable gun shop and ask if they will sendit back for you. document what is happening so they can send it witht hegun. U might also callkahr and seeif they willissue a prepapid pick up at ur place to.

have u by chance let anutter good sooter try the gun to see ifhe can duplicate the same things??? Not saying it could be shooter error, but just saying eliminate the possablilities.

gksmalt
11-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Not using reloads ... been shooting factory Win FMJ range/target ammo ... shooting the same kind of loads (factory Win FMJ range/target ammo) thru my Browning BDM 9mm without any problems ... and don't think I'm "limp wristing" the Kahr ... but I could let another shooter try it ... thinking seriously about taking it back to the dealer/gun shop or calling Kahr to see about returning it though.

Ikeo74
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Not using reloads ... been shooting factory Win FMJ range/target ammo ... shooting the same kind of loads (factory Win FMJ range/target ammo) thru my Browning BDM 9mm without any problems ... and don't think I'm "limp wristing" the Kahr ... but I could let another shooter try it ... thinking seriously about taking it back to the dealer/gun shop or calling Kahr to see about returning it though.
Before you send it back, try some higher velosity ammo to see if it makes a difference and shoot with a good tight 2 hand grip. Also make sure when loading the mags you are pushing the rounds all the way to contact the back of the mag.

gb6491
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I bought a brand new Kahr .40 (CW 40) from a reputable gun shop about a month ago for use as my new concealed carry weapon ... I've pumped 225-250 rounds thru it in an effort to break it in (Win FMJ) ... but even after firing that many rounds thru it, it only cycles rounds correctly <25% of the time (if that!) ... it ejects the spent round, but does not load the round from the magazine (from either a 6 round mag or 7 round mag - it makes no difference) ... with the slide stuck in the rear position (but not locked like after the last round is fired) ... I have to manually work the slide (push/pull the slide forward to get it to chamber the next round) anybody else have this problem? ... I also have a hard time reassembling it after disassembly to clean it - specifically, getting the slide release lever/pin to seat properly and the slide to work properly after reassembly ... very frustrating/disappointing.
Just a thought here - How is your recoil spring installed? The larger (more open) end should be towards the muzzle.
Regards,
Greg

voodoo54
11-20-2012, 11:45 PM

Sounds like your slide stop spring is either improperly installed or needs to be replaced. Take your pistol apart and reinstall your slide stop spring correctly. If that doesn't work then you probaly need to replace it.

wyntrout
11-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Have you watched the Kahr take down video? Maybe something there will help you identify the problem. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

Wynn:)

gksmalt
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Concur ... after some research it sounds like it's the slide stop spring/spring adjustment ... good call voodoo54.