PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Colt

Bawanna
11-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Went to my sisters yesterday for traditional Thanksgiving dinner. My second sisters step son's girlfriend approached me and said she'd heard I was mildly into guns. I confirmed this was so. She said she had something she wanted to show me and wanted some advice.

This is what she pulled out of a bag.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3684.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3686.jpg

Had I not already been sitting I would have fallen over. First she asked if it was worth anything, I offered her my van and 2 of my children.
It's a 1913 US Army Colt. It was her Great Grandfathers and now in the custody of her father.
On first observation I told her to leave as is, oil it, build the case her father planned to build and just love it. After of course being told it was not for sale at any price.

Later in the day not wanting to waste the opportunity to hold history since we were both in the same house I was holding it, decided to pop the slide off and saw that it was really nasty inside.
So I suggested I take it home (she insist I have to give it back) and just do a cleaning. This being the first time I'd ever met her in my life I didn't expect her to want to do that but she said do it.

Well I've been at it all day today. Took an hour to get the grips off, they were stuck and kind of swelled onto the grip bushings. I decided risky as it was to go complete detail as the trigger was rough, and nothing very smooth.
It needed it badly and I'm happy to say it was a complete success. Didn't break anything, didn't lose anything, even took the mags apart that I thought couldn't be taken apart. Thanks Greg for tips on that long ago.

I'm stil scrubbing the barrel, it's kind of bad but it is getting better.
A few more drool pictures.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3689.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3693.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3698.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3697.jpg

The sides of the trigger stirrup were really cruded up and when it feel a 100 times better already.

I soap and water scrubbed the grips, repaired a crack and put more linseed oil and scrubbed some more, they look pretty good now too.

Gonna be a tough one to give back.
According to my books I'd peg this with a value of about 3500 bucks even with the wear it shows. One year earlier the 1912 would be double that.

I feel so gosh darn lucky just to hold and have this thing for a few days. It's not even mine but we're in love with each other.

Edit to add, the traditional tupperware main spring covers are a joke compared to this thing. I bet it weights a 1/4 of a pound and solid steel.
I may take this thing and skip the country.
I told the girl I felt like I was shaking hands with Alvin York, she didn't know who he was but I was only temporarily deflated.

cloud
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
looks cool ,would like to see some pics when it is all done .let us know how she likes it when you give it back .

Tinman507
11-23-2012, 03:26 PM
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.
Hock the dog, the cat, the kids.
Beg borrow, steal, but BUY IT.
don't let that go to some gun shop who will rip her off.
OMG that's outstanding.

Bawanna
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Her dad is still the caretaker and she assures me that they have no intention of selling it. It was Great Grandpa's and I doubt they will ever sell. I even inquired if she had a brother that was worth living in hopes he might consider adopting me to maybe some day get it. He'll probably out live me though.

I am returning it on the condition that if the storm troopers ever start doing door to door collection, it comes to me till it's all over one way or another. That one wil not be given up with out a whole lot of trouble.

I got it all put back together, the barrel is pitted a bit on the chamber end and I still got it soaking in Kroil but it's all back together and if it was to be shot I think it would still shoot fine.

I neglected to get a after picture but I will a bit later. It's all wrapped up warm and dry in my favorite T shirt for now. A man can only take some much history and love in one day but the day ain't over yet and I'm sure we'll be holding it again.

les strat
11-23-2012, 04:00 PM
That's awesome Bawanna!

I was supposed to get my grandfathers government issue Colt from WWI. When he passed away (I was 6 months old and he in his 70's), my grandmother gave it to her brother to keep along with his 1930 Winchester Model 12 16 ga. Needless to say, it got gone. I did end up with the shotgun at least. What I would do for that Colt... not for the monentary value, but knowing it was his service weapon. I do have his Elgin pocket watch and WWI victory medal he kept on the end of its chain.

I know she wants to hang on to it, but I'd let her know when she's ready to sell, you want to have first dibbs.

Have fun playing with a cool toy.

Bawanna
11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Well the girl is coming TONIGHT! to pick up the Colt. I was hoping for more time, maybe she don't trust me.

Anyhow I hustled out and took some after pictures. Don't look a lot different but it is way different. It runs smooth and slick now and there's not crud in the nooks and crannies. Triggers a tad heavy but it was really hard to pull when it was all gunked up and the stirrup all nasty.

Maybe I'll jump in the van and split, got a quarter tank of gas, I won't get far but maybe far enough.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3703.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3702.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5
/DSCN3701.jpg

Find myself thinking of Carol Burnett, humming to myself, "I'm so glad we had this time together."

Oh well better to have loved and fondled than to have never fondled or coveted thy neighbors gun at all. I screwed that up didn't I?

mluikey
11-23-2012, 06:27 PM
wow love it!!! It's nice to see a piece of American history like that. Thanks for sharing.

muggsy
11-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Bawanna, that looks exactly like the 1911 that I gave to my #1 son. At one time my father had a steamer trunk full of them and he was selling them for $25 a copy. All that I had to do to earn mine was to paint every room in his house. Still, I thought it was a bargain price. Keep a close eye on that 1911 and don't let it get away. Make your good intentions known.

Bawanna
11-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Well she's gone. I was happy she did bring her dad with her so I was able to talk first hand. Spent alot of time in my man cave, told me about his grandpa the original recipient of the 1911. He got hit by a dud shell by the Germans, knocked him out but he recovered from that. He brought the dented helmet home but it's been lost over the years, how sad.

He was gassed also by the Germans and toasted his lungs, he died from it a few years after returning. He was denied any VA benefits or compensation to his wife and family, again how sad.

I made him well aware of my affection for it and he obviously could see my love for firearms in the hour he was in my man cave.
Genuinely happy with my thorough efforts to get his gun as good as I was capable of, left me 100 bucks, thought that was pretty nice of him.

I saw him gringe when I mentioned bleeding heart liberals but didn't make anything of it, when he left he asked for a card and gave my wife his. He's an attorney in a near by town. Totally didn't profile him correctly.

Guess I know 2 attorneys that are ok now O'Dell and this guy.

Oh well I'm gonna go tip a glass and cry myself to sleep, maybe fondle my WWII version to ease my grief.

JohnR
11-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you.

CJB
11-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Good Lord, it looks exactly like mine.

Non "A1"... wide hammer, short grip safety, FULL MACHINED TRIGGER

I love those triggers. Fully machined. I have no clue how they did it, but they're tough critters, almost works of art. Made in a time when making things WAS an art... and a craft, and a technical science.

Remember to keep it OUT of the holster too...

Alfonse
11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
That was a most traditional thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing!

jocko
11-24-2012, 11:04 AM
u did well great one, nice story behind the 1911 to. back then they didn't know how to make guns other than THE RIGHT WAY. Maching everything more than likely back then was the only way. Not sure today a gun like that made like that would be very sell albe either. Maybe to a few of the ol time buffs like u but again one can look hard enogh and find one like you worked on and have THE ORIGINAL.

U did the family well and yes not all attorneys are dirtbags or like squid sh!t either. I have a loving dauaghter who is an attornet in Florida other than a bleeding liberal which did not come from our family tree what so ever, she is a great gal, honerst to the 10th degree, but unfortunaly a liberal. So normaly we dont even see eye to toe, let alone eye to eye.. Just sayin

Bawanna
11-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Good Lord, it looks exactly like mine.

Non "A1"... wide hammer, short grip safety, FULL MACHINED TRIGGER

I love those triggers. Fully machined. I have no clue how they did it, but they're tough critters, almost works of art. Made in a time when making things WAS an art... and a craft, and a technical science.

Remember to keep it OUT of the holster too...

I emphasized keeping it out of the holster at least 10 times. i wouldn't even let him put it in the holster to take home, wrapped it lovingly in a clean T shirt.

He really isn't a gun guy and his daughter is afraid of them. I handed her my Cbob to look at the grips and she acted like I handed her a rattle snake. I told her not to fear the gun she controls, only fear the guns she doesn't control.

She emailed this morning and said that 1911 means far more to him than he lets on, quite a piece of family history.
She also said he wanted my card in case he ever did sell it, he'd know where to come that's a nice thought.

muggsy
11-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if he has no one else to pass it on to that you'll receive it as a gift. He'll want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Bawanna
11-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if he has no one else to pass it on to that you'll receive it as a gift. He'll want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

I think there's a son also, don't know if he's a gun guy or what he's like. The daughter while not into guns I'm sure would take care of it and treat it with respect.

My biggest fear is that something like that gets into the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate it for what it is and where it's been. Abuse it, neglect it, heaven forbid modify it in any way.

I'd rather have it gifted to me than win the lottery, well the lottery wouldn't be so bad either.

I asked for a copy of the picture of Great Grandpa with the dented helmet and they said they would send me one along with a picture of the display case they plan to build. I offered to build that for them as well, free of charge if they wanted.

I'm still kind of wired just being close that thing. It's history knocking on the front door.

AJBert
11-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Truly a piece of history!

I see far too many folks these days that have no clue as to what they have nor no interest in the history. Recently, we've had two young ladies who have inherited a couple of "moderate" collections from the dad/grandfather. Sadly, all they see is what is it worth.

All I can think of is these two gentleman who spent the better part of their lives putting together collections to their tastes. With no one in the family who are "gun" folks, the lucky ones who inherit them only want to liquidate. Truly breaks my heart.

I've got a few youngsters in the family that are showing real promise. My wife already knows what she can sell and what MUST be passed down. Not that I have a collection, but there are a few that mean more than their value.

gb6491
11-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Well the girl is coming TONIGHT! to pick up the Colt. I was hoping for more time, maybe she don't trust me.

Anyhow I hustled out and took some after pictures. Don't look a lot different but it is way different. It runs smooth and slick now and there's not crud in the nooks and crannies. Triggers a tad heavy but it was really hard to pull when it was all gunked up and the stirrup all nasty.

Maybe I'll jump in the van and split, got a quarter tank of gas, I won't get far but maybe far enough.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3703.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3702.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5
/DSCN3701.jpg

Find myself thinking of Carol Burnett, humming to myself, "I'm so glad we had this time together."

Oh well better to have loved and fondled than to have never fondled or coveted thy neighbors gun at all. I screwed that up didn't I?
That old veteran clean up quite nicely, well done Bawanna!
Regards,
Greg

itsthelaw
11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Great story! The few hours you spent with that 1911 probably saved it at least 20 years of additional wear. I agree that you will end up with it. No man wants his father's or grandfathers's war piece to get locked away. He probably saw that you are the best keeper for such a piece. Whether you get it or not, make the box. You will influence everyone who gets to view it.

jlottmc
11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Bawanna that is almost identical to the transitional model I got to handle last year. I posted the story about that then, but the finish on the one I handled was nowhere near that nice. Still is does feel awesome to hold that kind of history in one's hand doesn't it?

Bawanna
11-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Bawanna that is almost identical to the transitional model I got to handle last year. I posted the story about that then, but the finish on the one I handled was nowhere near that nice. Still is does feel awesome to hold that kind of history in one's hand doesn't it?

It does indeed feel awesome. I received another email from both daughter and dad. He was very grateful and said he enjoyed his visit in the man cave immensely. I suspect I may have converted him although I didn't know I was doing so at the time.

I'm hoping he'll visit again. Seemed like a genuine nice guy, totally blowing my profiling ability on lawyers. How strange is that?

MikeyKahr
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
There are good lawyers out there Bosswanna. They try to keep us safe from the bad ones (for a fee). Good/bad in every profession. What an awesome opportunity you had over the holidays, thanks for being a blessing to the gentleman. May your good deed be repaid one day!

7shot
11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
i love to hear about family heirloom history, and this ranks right up there as one of the best stories. i have a lot of my dads wwii heirlooms but nothing like that. glad you got to see and learn about the pistol.