PDA

View Full Version : First AR15 Build. Welcoming Input

MO_Soldier
11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
My dad bought me a stripped lower for Christmas. So I'm in the planning phase of slowly building my ideal AR. I'm on a budget, but don't want inferior products.

Let me know what you guys think. Similar AR's are selling for $1,500-$1,800. Considering it's EXACTLY what I want, minus unnecessary optics and lights, I think it's gonna be a rewarding build. I've never owned one before, just shoot the old M16A2 in my Army service.

Www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

BCM 1.5" Compensator $95
Flash Hider Crush Washer $3
BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Barrel, Stripped $230
Yankee Hill Machine Front Flip Sight Tower $80
Mid Length Gas Tube $13 BCM Bolt Carrier $130
BCM Charging Handle w/ Med Latch $55
BCM Upper Receiver $100

$706

PSA Lower $120
Magpul LPK $70
Magpul STR Stock $100
Single Point Sling Adapter $30
Yankee Hill Machine Lightweight Tactical Free Float Forearm $110
Yankee Hill Machine Free Float End Cap $14
MOE Flip Rear Sight $50
Magazines $100
1000 rnds Ammo $400

$706+$374=$1,094
+$500=$1,594

MO_Soldier
11-25-2012, 03:43 PM
BTW, he got me an Aero Lower, stamped for "Surplus Ammo and Arms". I read good things about Aero's manufacturing of their AR lowers.

ruf45
11-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks to be a good ar when you get done with it. Give us more reports as the build moves forward

les strat
11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Pics are manditory.

MO_Soldier
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Lol, don't hold your breath guys! But, this thing is gonna be a quality build for sure. Some day, I believe my family could need it to survive(and this marksman of course lol)

I even made a friend who can Cerakote the whole rifle for $75. I may do that if he can do a realistic and flat pattern. Otherwise it'll just stay plain.

Bawanna
11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Lol, don't hold your breath guys! But, this thing is gonna be a quality build for sure. Some day, I believe my family could need it to survive(and this marksman of course lol)

I even made a friend who can Cerakote the whole rifle for $75. I may do that if he can do a realistic and flat pattern. Otherwise it'll just stay plain.

I'd expedite all possible. Someday could be tomorrow. One never knows in these trying times.

JustinN
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
One missing piece just glancing at the list is a buffer tube assembly. Not expensive, just a necessary part missing from the list.

I just completed an AR build this week. I planned on just getting a stripped lower and then slowly buying parts etc....and a week later I have a fully functioning rifle.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6049/40258043.jpg

MO_Soldier
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Lol nice Justin. I hope I can do the same thing since they are likely to be banned.
But at least I'll have the lower which is what will be banned.
I forgot about the buffer tube assembly....thinking it came with the buttstock. I like the magpul stuff. I cant decide between the free float quad rail and the magpul forearm. . .

MikeyKahr
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Nice build JustinN. Slow builds usually turn into quick purchases. We are a patient people! :) With the political climate as it is, quick is better anyway.

JustinN
11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks!

I really like the Magpul stuff (obviously since my whole rifle is Magpul MOE). I've had free float quad rail builds before and just don't use them. I can't justify the added price with the discomfort of handling them, but that's just me. If you are gonna throw a bunch of gadgets on your gun they are nice to have, but otherwise, meh.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 02:47 PM
That's near perfect Justin. Just what I'd do if the bank account would support me just a little.

I see so many with everything but the kitchen sink and a cup holder attached, and you just end up taking a light easy quick handling rifle and turn it into a mega heavy unwieldy thing with a lot of unneeded junk on it.

I love flip up iron sights, a red dot or low power optic is nice on quick removeable mounts so when they fail they get tossed.

I'm still trying to condition myself to any color besides black but I kind of like yours so maybe I'm coming around a little bit.

JustinN
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm still trying to decide on some optics for it, and a MOE vertical grip and then it will be done. I agree with making them big and unwieldy, I wanted a sleek, quick design. I have also always been a bigger fan of black, but I really liked the new Foliage color of green and went with it. I'm glad I did, I like the contrast between black metal and green parts, vs all black. Kind of makes me want one in FDE, but I don't think my wife will handle that request at present.

gb6491
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm still trying to decide on some optics for it, and a MOE vertical grip and then it will be done. I agree with making them big and unwieldy, I wanted a sleek, quick design. I have also always been a bigger fan of black, but I really liked the new Foliage color of green and went with it. I'm glad I did, I like the contrast between black metal and green parts, vs all black. Kind of makes me want one in FDE, but I don't think my wife will handle that request at present.
I like the MOE furniture as well:). Here's my AR in FDE. It's a S&W upper on a RRA lower (really like the 2 stage trigger). I recently added the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zph4xh.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Ok, call me stupid. What's FDE stand for?

gb6491
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry Bawanna, my bust: FDE - flat dark earth. The color of the Magpul Original Equipment (stock, pistol grip, hand guards, and magazine) on my rifle.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Dang it, I should of had that one. I'm still new to all these new color schemes. I kind of like it on your and Justins. Maybe I'll catch up one of these days.

MO_Soldier
11-26-2012, 08:26 PM
I could see the practicality of this type of cerakote.
Maybe some day

MO_Soldier
11-27-2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.redcreektactical.com/images/480_Red_Creek_Tactical_Apache_PTC_1.jpg

Charlie98
11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Great minds think alike... LRB lower, RRA mid-length upper w/Magpul furniture

OP, I'm really liking the mid-length gas system, it's a good choice over the shorty. I almost went full-length, but decided against it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x39/Charlie_98/LRB011.jpg

MO_Soldier
11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
@Justin - my question is, is the regular forearm easy to install during a build? The free float is all I can find being installed in videos so far, and it seems very simple.

Thanks Charlie. I first went with the midlength because you can mount a bayonet on it. Then I found on bravo company's site, that the midlength cuts down on recoil a lot while still being light and maneuverable.

JustinN
11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
My upper was a complete from M&A, with the M4 handguards. With the MOE handguards, I just just popped the old ones off and popped the new ones on, super super easy. You just pull the Delta ring back, put the top in place and slide the delta ring. Repeat for the bottom and you're done.

I have installed a set of Surefire rails (a few years ago now) and it was a HUGE pain in the ass....but again that was a while ago, so they may have gotten easier. I didn't want to try to install my barrel into an upper and everything, and the M&A stuff is cheap enough I didn't worry about, so that may have made my installation easier.

My last AR was a midlength gas tube gun, but I never really noticed a difference between it, a full length, and a carbine. None of them recoil IMO. I went with the carbine because I liked the look of it.

Charlie98
11-28-2012, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=MO_Soldier;200813Thanks Charlie. I first went with the midlength because you can mount a bayonet on it. Then I found on bravo company's site, that the midlength cuts down on recoil a lot while still being light and maneuverable.[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that the mid-length vs short-length gas system is supposed to be more reliable. I've never used/fired an M4 length rifle so I don't really know if that's true, but I do know my middy has been 100% so far in about 1500rds. It does seem like it blows a little more gas either out of the bolt or back through the rear of the upper (into your face) than any -A2 I've ever fired; not always but every once in a while you'll get a good snort of gas.

melissa5
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Here lately I've been thinking about having my rifle hydro dipped in multicam.

MO_Soldier
11-28-2012, 09:02 AM
What is hyrdo dipped?
All ive ever heard about it cerkote. What other types of gun coating is there?

JustinN
11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
There is a place in Nixa, MO that does it (I'm thinking you're down here in SW MO).
http://www.ozarkshydrographics.com/

Check out their photos, outdoor. You'll see lots of guns with it done to them....kinda crazy.

les strat
11-28-2012, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't trade the Magpul furniture for anything. I like it light, and you can add a piece of rail for any accessory you might want up front, like a light.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/bonehead911/aroutside_zpsc7182b7d.jpg

Here lately I've been thinking about having my rifle hydro dipped in multicam.

Does it hold up well? That is pretty cool.

melissa5
11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Does it hold up well? That is pretty cool.

This past weekend I did an AR class taught by an Air Force guy. His Larue Predator had been dipped for about 2 years and it still looked great. In my neck of the woods it would cost $225 for the whole rifle.

les strat
11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
This past weekend I did an AR class taught by an Air Force guy. His Larue Predator had been dipped for about 2 years and it still looked great. In my neck of the woods it would cost $225 for the whole rifle.

I did some research on the process and googled a bunch of pics. Definitley better than a couple cans of krylon. This will be a definite option if I ever decide to camo my AR.

MO_Soldier
12-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Im wondering how it compares to cerakote though. I know of a guy who will do a whole AR for $75

jlottmc
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I like the MOE furniture as well:). Here's my AR in FDE. It's a S&W upper on a RRA lower (really like the 2 stage trigger). I recently added the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zph4xh.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Greg,
I have the same muzzle device on mine (friend from the academy had it but needed a short one so we traded, my A2 for that) how do you keep that thing from ringing?

Justin,
I have a black MOE vertical grip for mine some where, took it off because I just didn't cotton to it. If it matched the paint, I'd send it to you.

Charlie98
12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I have a black MOE vertical grip for mine some where, took it off because I just didn't cotton to it. If it matched the paint, I'd send it to you.

As much as I wanted to like the MOE grip, I didn't. The way it attached was not very... roubust. I have a Tapco short verticle grip that I love... and I don't actually use it as a grip, I use it like a Magpul AFG... it feels better that way and, when the actual forearm gets REALLY HOT after a few mags, I can always go to a full verticle grip.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x39/Charlie_98/DSC03430.jpg

gb6491
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Greg,
I have the same muzzle device on mine (friend from the academy had it but needed a short one so we traded, my A2 for that) how do you keep that thing from ringing?
I haven't really noticed any ringing from it. I've heard some of the new prong type devices ring, but I haven't shot anything that style since the early days of Uncle Sam providing me with black rifles.
Greg

gunmut
12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
My two sons and I are in the early steps of building 3 ARs. At this point we have S&W stripped lowers and DPMS parts kits. Next step is stripped uppers, they want to go .556 but I am thinking .300 Blackout.

Any thoughts....

jlottmc
12-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I see, well thanks Greg. Guess I'll just have to live with it or find a new device that doesn't ring.

MO_Soldier
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Do you have the Vortex flash suppressor jlott?? I heard that they are notorious for ringing.

How effective is it otherwise though?

jlottmc
12-03-2012, 06:12 AM
I don't know what the name of the flash suppressor is, it looks like a very long A2 but also has slots all the way around. Like I said, I didn't really care what was on the end and a buddy needed an A2. As far as how effective, I have no idea, never had the opportunity to shoot my rifle at night. In fact now that I think about it, I haven't done much night shooting at all since the Corps. We did do pistols with the lights out in the academy, but that's been the last real night fire I've done.