PDA

View Full Version : We ordered our reloader

TD2K
11-26-2012, 06:45 AM
We've been saving $ for a reloader, as much as we shoot it's silly not to have one. Grandparents gave us our Christmas money over the weekend (they don't shop anymore, tell us to do our own shopping and tell them what they bought us), so that finished it out. We're staring with 9mm for me and .38 special for hubby since he's been into revolver competitions lately. Will eventually move into .40, .45, and .45LC, .223 and others as needed.

1 K12xxx Dillon RL 550B in Caliber as Specified, Caliber: 9mm
1 22051 Strong Mount - 550/650
1 13795 Machine Cover: RL 550B / SqDeal
1 17950 Roller Handle - Aluminum - 550/650
1 10xxx Dillon 3-Die Set, Caliber as Specified
1 DIGCA BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper
1 21528 Depriming Pins
10-Pack: Dillon Pistol Dies
1 11541 550 Toolholder w/o Casefeeder - w/Wrenches
1 20048 550B Spare Parts Kit
1 11185 550B Empty Case Bin and Bracket
1 200xx 4-Pack Primer Pickup Tubes,
1 13480 Eliminator Balance-beam Scale
1 13606 Primer Flip Tray
1 17999 Bullet Puller (New Style, Berrys)
1 HPSCA BrianEnos.com Digital HP Scale/RCBS Powder
1 13733 Dillon Case Lube
1 22214 Bullet Tray - 550/650/SqDeal
1 21045 CM-500 Media Separator
1 13804 Rapid Polish
1 14400 Dillon 38/357 Carbide 3-Die Set
1 20132 RL 550B Caliber Conv: 38 Spec/357 Mag
1 22058 550B Deluxe Quick Change Kit

We already have manuals and a friend is making us a vibratory cleaner like he uses. I'm sure there are things we forgot, but we'll get there.

muggsy
11-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Looks like you are very well equipped. I find reloading to be a pleasant winter months distraction. Reloading requires your full attention, so be careful. Don't allow anything to distract you from this distraction when at the bench. I doubt that reloading has saved me much money, but it sure has allowed me to shoot a lot more. Enjoy.

wayneo1
11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Congratulations I bought the same EXACT thing from dillion only about 17 years ago. I was shooting 38 and a 9 mm. You bought a great press and you will have great support. Don't be afraid to call them with questions there happy to help.

TD2K
11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
good to know. everybody I know that reloads has good things to say about this press.

otium
11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I found many reloading frames cast a hard shadow on to the plate area below the top of the reloading frame making it difficult to see in to the brass around the powder loading area.

My workaround, since I could not move the overhead light, was to get a Dritz Flexible battery powered LED light. This unit has a fairly long and flexible arm and is inexpensive - think I paid around $9 for it. It's been a few years ago, so YMMV.

This light is primarily targeted for sewing machines and was just the ticket for me to be able to see in to the brass to ensure powder dropped properly and see the rest of the plate a lot better.

Unlike an incandescent bulb, being LED, there is no heat generated by the head which is a good thing around powder.

If you find it may be helpful for your reloading, it should be available online or in sewing departments.

Have fun.

TD2K
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
awesome. thanks for the tip!!!!!

TucsonMTB
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Good for you, TD2K! Here's wishing you many thousands of satisfying and safe rounds. :)

For anyone who is wondering what the excitement is all about, here is a nice overview video by my favorite "old guy", Hickock45.

irC3NuIKDm4#!

Anyone on the fence about reloading will probably be able to make up their mind by the end of his discussion.

MW surveyor
11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Looks like you're just about set.

Now all you have to do is...............decide on what powder and bullets. HA HA HA!

muggsy
11-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Good for you, TD2K! Here's wishing you many thousands of satisfying and safe rounds. :)

For anyone who is wondering what the excitement is all about, here is a nice overview video by my favorite "old guy", Hickock45.

irC3NuIKDm4#!

Anyone on the fence about reloading will probably be able to make up their mind by the end of his discussion.

Gee, someone who likes the 147 gr. 9MM projectile besides me. Amazing.

Fredr500
11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm new to shooting, have a CM9 and a few other guns I've picked up in the last 5 months. Haven't looked at reloading yet.

Would you mind me asking the rough cost of your setup? Not sure I can sell the wife on it, but need to know what budget I'd be talking.

If you don't want to say I understand.
Thanks

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
That's a really tough question to ask Fred on account of all the options. You can go first cabin on a progressive with all the very best stuff and spend a grand pretty easy.

Or you can do a single stage, good quality press and get the other stuff, the scale, powder measure, dies etc as you go.

Most sell kits that have everything you need to start and then add to or upgrade as you go along.

I've had my stuff so long I'm out of touch with a price.

For a press and some of the other stuff you can do well on used stuff too. It last forever. Many buy the stuff and realize they don't have as much time or desire as they thought and end up selling at a loss of course.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm new to shooting, have a CM9 and a few other guns I've picked up in the last 5 months. Haven't looked at reloading yet.

Would you mind me asking the rough cost of your setup? Not sure I can sell the wife on it, but need to know what budget I'd be talking.

If you don't want to say I understand.
Thanks

I just had a Midway flyer hit my desk and they have an RCBS Rock Chucker Master reloading kit. (this was my first press and I still use it today) Its on sale for 287.99.

It has the press, a powder measure, a balance scale, hand priming tool (nice tought), a loading block, a case lube pad and lube, funnel and a Speer reloading manual.

Everything you'd need except dies, powder and bullets.

TucsonMTB
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
And for a few dollars more at $420, Cabella's has a similar RCBS Progressive press kit with free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1311165&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-214924

Watch the Hickock45 video for one experienced hand loader's strong opinion that starting with a progressive press will save you money in the long run.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
I do love my Progressive but I don't regret having the single stage and still use it for special stuff and most all rifle reloads but I don't reload much rifle. I do think its coming soon though.

In learning reloading it's nice to take each step at a time and learn exactly whats happening, how to adjust the die, what to look for and stuff.

After 40 + years on a single stage I was still a bit overwelmed going progressive. Not insurmountable and most are more mechanically adept than I am but still a challenge.

Not to say that a progressive isn't the way to start. They crank out a lot of rounds in short order with a round popping out with every pull of the handle. That's a nice thing.

TucsonMTB
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
It appears that the model at the link I posted can be operated either as a progressive or a single stage press . . . However, you are the guy with the experience. I just stumbled across an item on the Internet. :o

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
You may have stumbled onto the answer to the meaning of life. Actually my Hornady could be operated on station at a time.

I know others are friendly that way too. I'm fumbling trying to think of the work but there another press that is multi stage but it isn't progressive.

Jocko? Whats the work I seek. You just run one round thru all the stations and then do another? I've always thought they would also make a great first setup for learning.

I like to think of myself as well used but experienced ain't always the correct word for me

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Turrent Press. Rubb said it on the other thread. You just run one at a time thru the system and then start over.

Some I think can actually do both progressive and turrent.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
That looks like it would for sure be worth the little bit more money. I love my Hornady Lock N Load but that's a nice machine too.

Fredr500
11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. That set from Cabela's looks sweet, but I have no idea what I am looking at. Like everything else associated with shooting it looks like I need to do more research. I know google is my friend, it led me to my CM9, it will help me decide if I want to pursue this next step.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Actually the best thing is to find someone that reloads and chat with him. I was in your place long ago when Payless and Ernst hardware sold guns and sporting goods. I kind of knew what I wanted and they were having a reloading seminar. The night before I went and bought everything beating the crowd and then went and chatted with the rep at the counter. It was one on one. Made sense of everything I was looking at.

Still took some manual reading and study but it was a good start.

Its not hard once you see how it all goes together.

TD2K
11-27-2012, 06:22 AM
I ordered everything thru Brian Enos. The press itself (set up for one caliber, I chose 9mm) was $439. Once we added the digital and balance beam scales and all the other goodies seen above, it was about $1300. We ordered the dies to load .38 special as well, but went ahead with the "caliber conversion" and "quick change" kits, which cost a bit more but make changing from one to the other MUCH easier and faster (about $200 total to change calibers).
The guy that is sort of mentoring my husband in these revolver competitions has told him exactly what powder, bullets, primers, etc to use, so he and other friends are available to walk us thru the first few times. We also took a reloading class at the local gun range. It was pretty informative, but used a single stage so I know this will be a bit different initially.

houdini
11-27-2012, 01:11 PM
you will have lots of fun

TD2K
11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Mr. Postman just delivered the digital scale and calipers. Yay.

Fredr500
11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. This is you g to have to go on the back burner for now, but if anyone offers a class nearby I will check it out.

TD2K
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
the man in the big brown truck just delivered the media tumbler and a HUGE box from Dillon. I know the press is inside, and probably some other goodies, but I just loaded it into the car and will open it tonight when I get home from work.

TD2K
11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
what's the best place online to buy bullets? we have quite a load of brass, and we'll probably buy the powder and primers locally due to high shipping charges.

Bawanna
11-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I like Precision Delta for jacketed bullets. If you can shoot lead I'd be checking out that place Mr. Surveyor mentioned in his boolit thread. They look nice and the price seemed incredibly good.

TD2K
11-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I've been warned NO LEAD out of my glock. no no no no lead. so I guess I'd better buy FMJ. what's up with the "plated" bullets? they look like FMJ, but are a bit less expensive.

Bawanna
11-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I shot plated for a few years and had no issues, work well. I found that Precision Delta's prices were very close so I went with them.

TD2K
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM
cool, thanks. I just heard back from my friend I've been buying reloads from, he said precision delta or montana gold. I'll check them both out. :)

TD2K
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
ok I gots a question. Want to get the dillon set up for my .50 Beowulf. I of course can't find any dies locally, so I'm gonna order thru Alexander Arms (maker of the upper). They have the following brands:
.50 Beowulf® Hornady® Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Hornady_Reloading_Dies.html) $90.01
Beowulf® Lee Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Lee_Reloading_Dies.html) $50.60
.50 Beowulf® Redding Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Redding_Reloading_Dies.html) $147.00

Since I can't get Dillon, I am leaning towards the Hornady. Suggestions?

Also gonna get some brass from them.

Yesterday I picked up 500 primers (CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum), 2# of Alliant Powder 2400, and 100 Hornady 350 Grain XTP Bullets. (Found a reloading data chart on Alexander's website)

Bawanna
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
That would be my gut choice too. But what I know about .50 Beowulf would fit on the head of a pin with room for a playground as well.

I have faith in Hornady though. No issue with Lee or Redding either but more faith in Hornady.

downtownv
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
ok I gots a question. Want to get the dillon set up for my .50 Beowulf. I of course can't find any dies locally, so I'm gonna order thru Alexander Arms (maker of the upper). They have the following brands:
.50 Beowulf® Hornady® Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Hornady_Reloading_Dies.html) $90.01
Beowulf® Lee Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Lee_Reloading_Dies.html) $50.60
.50 Beowulf® Redding Reloading Dies (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Brass_Reloading-.50_Beowulf_Redding_Reloading_Dies.html) $147.00

Since I can't get Dillon, I am leaning towards the Hornady. Suggestions?

Also gonna get some brass from them.

Yesterday I picked up 500 primers (CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum), 2# of Alliant Powder 2400, and 100 Hornady 350 Grain XTP Bullets. (Found a reloading data chart on Alexander's website)

Why can't you get Dillon?
They recently came out with one>

TD2K
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I haven't been able to find it. Would rather keep everything Dillon. Point me in the right direction please sir.

TD2K
02-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Never was able to find the Dillon dies, and I read not so great reviews on the Lee set (specifically the resizing die), so I ordered the Hornady set thru Alexander. Also ordered some brass and an extra magazine from them too. Lord only knows when it'll actually ship.

Went on the Dillon site and picked up a caliber conversion kit and XL powder die for the .50 Beowulf, a powder funnel for .40 S&W (This is all we were lacking for .40 reloading), and 2 more of the powder quick change assemblies (I'm too lazy to set it up every time)

I managed to get my hands on some small pistol primers and powder last week, so I was FINALLY able to get it set up and run a few rounds of 9mm. Gonna take them out to the range to test fire and see how things go before I go making tons of em. (got 4000 9mm bullets about 3 weeks ago from Montana Gold and have tons of brass that I've been collecting over the past several months)

Last week I also picked up 100 bullets and 2# of powder for the .50. I might actually get to shoot the thing one of these days.

AIRret
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Congratulations, TD2K and good luck.
I have a question and concern. We ordered from Montana Gold on 1/18/13 and yesterday
we tried to contact them about the shipment and we had no luck!!!
The web site is down for maintenance.
Their voice mail box is always full!
AND we can't get an email through to them.
We would feel better if they had a message on their voice mail detailing what is going on.
Maybe we are just paranoid!

BucketBack
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I miss ordered from Precision Delta on 2/5. I talked to Lisa 3 times. Now they don't answer the phone or email and the 3 weeks in stock went to OOS and 8 weeks after I ordered.

http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/

8 weeks from 2-5 is just after the treaty is voted on that won't affect US

TD2K
02-13-2013, 07:04 AM
I think they're all just so slammed right now they've stopped taking calls/emails in order to get shipments out the door. I didn't have any issues with them and a friend of mine orders from them all the time. I'd just give it a few days.

BucketBack
02-14-2013, 07:55 AM
I miss ordered from Precision Delta on 2/5. I talked to Lisa 3 times. Now they don't answer the phone or email and the 3 weeks in stock went to OOS and 8 weeks after I ordered.

http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/

8 weeks from 2-5 is just after the treaty is voted on that won't affect US

12 or more weeks on Wednesday:eek:

rhd04
02-14-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm jealous! I've been reloading with a single stage for almost 20 years. I always wanted a Dillion progressive for 9mm and .223.

TD2K
02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
12 or more weeks on Wednesday:eek:

sheesh

maybe I should go ahead and order another 4000 round case of 9mm. By the time it arrives I'll probably need it!

TD2K
02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
got to test my first 10 reloads last night. here's a pic of my target: 5 rounds at 15 yds with my GL19. Boom.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8251/gl1915ydsreloads.jpg

MikeyKahr
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
That will do. Great job TD2K! Very inspiring. I would love to reload.

TD2K
02-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Our friend finished building our tumbler, man he did a great job. He made us promise to paint it, but I was too excited to give it a whirl (no pun intended) so I'll paint later.

http://imageshack.us/a/img145/3594/brasstumbler.jpg

Ordered 5# of stainless steel pins from "stainless tumbling media" to use with it.

Last night I dumped in some 9mm brass, the stainless pins, a gallon of water, a couple squirts of dawn dish soap, and a tad of Lemi-Shine. Tumbled for about 3 hours, rinsed, ran thru the media separator, and laid out to dry in front of a small heater out in the garage. Man it looks just like new.

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4385/brasss.jpg

It's snowy and nasty today, so I probably won't spend my evening in the garage reloading, maybe tomorrow will be warmer so I can play.

MW surveyor
02-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Hey, tumbler looks good for being homemade and it looks like it works very well. What size is the pipe?

downtownv
02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm soooo Glad to have gotten into reloading and just prior to the SHTF prices/availabilty hit! Now I have plenty to shoot!:D

TD2K
02-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Hey, tumbler looks good for being homemade and it looks like it works very well. What size is the pipe?

yeah he did an amazing job. it's 8" dia. PVC pipe, so this thing can hold quite a bit. I put in 4 or 5# of brass and the 5# of pins and it was maybe 15% filled. Gonna ask him how much he tumbles in his at a time.

TucsonMTB
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey TD2K!

I am officially jealous of your tumbler! :o

But, it makes me want to ask a question. How noisy is it compared to a regular vibrating style tumbler with walnut or corn cob media?

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Snow-011.jpg

It's more like winter than usual here today too. We had to play indoors . . .

But, the good news is that I scored an 8 lb container of IMR 4895 powder and a box of 500 Sierra 168gr Matchking bullets while surfing the web.

For us Garand enthusiast, life does not get much better than that. :)

TD2K
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
AWESOME! Nice find!!!!!

the tumbler motor itself makes very little noise, but the brass rattling around inside isn't quiet. He put 3 or 4 ribs inside the PVC pipe to help agitate, so it clanks around. I have it out in the garage so it didn't bother me at all. :D