PDA

View Full Version : Home defense weapons?

Armybrat
11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
These back up a couple handguns:

Winchester 1300 Defender - 18.5" bbl, 8+1 shots. Mine (bought new $125) lives near my bedside.

The H&R Topper 12 Ga single barrel (bought new $48) used to be my truck gun, but now resides next to the computer station in my home office - had a smith cut the bbl to 19" & add a bead sight.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/moreguns.jpg

Barth
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Basic home defense is a H&K P30 40 LEM with an attached Surefire X300 Tactical Light.
The only long gun I own, and it's not really long, is a Mossy 500 with a pistol grip.
I've got Federal LE Power-ball slugs for her.
She will leave a mark.

I've been seriously considering;
FN F2000
FN P90
FN SCAR

We will see...

mluikey
11-26-2012, 10:05 AM
My backups are a Remington 870 and a Sig 556.

Popeye
11-26-2012, 10:40 AM
These back up a couple handguns:

Winchester 1300 Defender - 18.5" bbl, 8+1 shots. Mine (bought new $125) lives near my bedside.

The H&R Topper 12 Ga single barrel (bought new $48) used to be my truck gun, but now resides next to the computer station in my home office - had a smith cut the bbl to 19" & add a bead sight.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/moreguns.jpg

Very nice

O'Dell
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
No long guns but a 45 carbine in the safe. My home defense weapons are an HK USP 40 or a SIG P220 45 since both are extremely reliable but too big to carry easily. They have excellent night sights and are well hidden but one or the other is readily accessible from anywhere in the house. Every thing else is locked in the safe.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
I've been reviewing and rereviewing my home defense weapons a lot of late.

I have a Mossberg 500, I like a lot. Had it a long time. Have a Side by Side that's quick and nimble with a side saddle for reloads.

Lately I've been leaning towards my Thompson for ammo convenience, I now keep it with a 50 round drum and I have a small canvas bag with 5 20rd and 5 30rd stick mags, but it does weigh a ton but she'll last a long time.

Over the weekend I mounted a nylon sling on my Ranch Hand in 45 Colt so I can quickly sling it on my back.

I have to keep in mind moving around in the chair and toting whatever I plan to tote so I lean towards handguns.

I'm thinking more of the collection people and a standoff situation.

I have about 30 clips near the Garand, the Thompson and the Heavy Barrel 03-A3 as long as they are at distance, then transition to up close an personal as we approach the Alamo.

The Bowie and a Kukri are near at hand too so the Alamo might not be a bad comparison.

DKD
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
How about a double barrel 12 gauge coach gun with both barrels cylinder bore w/ oo buck...
or for another a Benelli Super Nova Tactical 18.5" pump with military peep rear and hooded front site again in cylinder bore. That one you can change the stock from standard type to pistol grip...also can change barrels to boot and extend the magazine capacity from four to six plus one.
All backed up with a 1911.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
How about a double barrel 12 gauge coach gun with both barrels cylinder bore w/ oo buck...
or for another a Benelli Super Nova Tactical 18.5" pump with military peep rear and hooded front site again in cylinder bore. That one you can change the stock from standard type to pistol grip...also can change barrels to boot and extend the magazine capacity from four to six plus one.
All backed up with a 1911.

That's what my side by side is is a coach gun.

I have no use at all for a shotgun with a pistol grip, even a short buttstock is better than a pistol grip.
Benelli makes a heck of a nice shotgun. I like my Mossberg 500 just fine though. I go round and round with the officers here swearing by the Rem 870 but I'd take my Mossy any day of the week.
Zero argument on the 1911 or 2,

jocko
11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
we sold 100's of Mossert 500 back in the day and never ever had one come bac, never ever had one break nuttin. Same thing with the 870 though. Price was a big factor back then though the mossy was alot lower in price so many used to call it a cheapie as it was no the price of an 870 or Ithaca. It was a great gun though. It didnt look the quality of an 870 back then either.

DKD
11-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Bawanna, the Bennelli Super Nova has a full stock with a pistol grip attached, but can also receive a standard type full stockhich is typical of the breed of most shootguns.

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Bawanna, the Bennelli Super Nova has a full stock with a pistol grip attached, but can also receive a standard type full stockhich is typical of the breed of most shootguns.

My bad, I get hung up on a simple pistol grip. I love full stocks with a built in pistol grip, make it nice to hold with one hand. Only down fall to me is I like a tang safety and a pistol grip and a tang safety don't do real well together, that's where an 870 style safety would be better but I don't like em much.

I do want a Benelli some day, it's on the very very long list of someday stuffs to get.

jocko
11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
yup thoe Italians know how to make guns. They don't mess with 1911's though. they tell me u can't makle a sow our of a boar. Just sayin.

jeepster09
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
So sayin these won't work......:eek:

AJBert
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM
5 handguns of various calibers from .22 to .45 and a pistol grip 870 Police Magnum (sorry Bawanna) scattered throughout the house. If/when the clouds start to darken, more than a few more will come out of the safe.

Including the Tommy.

mr surveyor
11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
whenever I have on pants, my HD weapon is whatever is in the holster...that's from get up time until sleep time, then the same (and others) are always within reaching distance during sleep time. The long guns are rarely loaded, although always easy to reach, and ammo easy to lay hands on. I don't even take out the trash without a sidearm, and I live "outside the city limits". I figure "HD" ain't no different than "PD"...you never know when to expect that kick to your door. (been there, done that - but wasn't home at the time)

No matter what you choose, pick something you are competent and confident with. Some things just need (more) holes in them.

Planedude
11-26-2012, 09:35 PM
That's what my side by side is is a coach gun...

Simply the best. You don't get the "racking" sound, but to the BG a sight like this says "get out of my house" with great volume, even if you don't utter a sound...:eek:

Charlie98
11-27-2012, 07:51 AM
The CW9 is on the bedside table next to me, but I have another in the garage and my P45 is in my desk drawer... I suppose I have a small fortune in magazines and factory ammo scattered around the house.

I would agree with the Mossberg 500... it has been the most solid shotgun I've ever owned... it's 3rd in the safe behind the AR and Socom16.

johnh
11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I have been using an AR pistol for a bit. 10" barrel, utterly reliable, with an A2 length buffer tube to add stability when shooting. I keep some V-Max in the mag. I would hit a handgun first, but if I think something more accurate is needed, this gives me a quick alternative.

ripley16
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
My home defense philosophy relies on the inherent good nature of my fellow man and the belief that the police will be there when I need them. Weapons should not be and are never needed.

:rolleyes: No seriously... I keep two guns loaded and at the ready. My two CCWs, a HK P2000sk and a Seecamp. A Seecamp you say!? Yes. Great little gun to drop in my pajamas pocket when the doorbell rings at night.

Popeye
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I've had a 20 Ga. Mossberg Crusier loaded with #3 buck standing up in the corner next to the nightstand for almost 16 years. I take it to the range about every 6 months or so and recycle the ammo in it just to make sure it still works and have a good laugh. It works as good now as it did the first time I shot it. It's not pretty or fancy and has bad breath when you pull the trigger, but it's always been reliable and can do some pretty terrible things to mellons. There is just something about 20 .25 pellets comming out of the end of that barrel at about 1300 FPS that really appeals to me.:D

melissa5
11-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Glocks throughout the house with a Rem 870, AR15, and AR10 standing by. :)

Nimrod
11-28-2012, 10:13 AM
My MK40 is always with me when I an up and moving. At night it is in arms reach. The rest of my guns live in my safe. I have too many grandkids to leave them out where curious little hands might find them. I rely on the MK40 to take care of any immediate situations and then get me to my safe for more serious situations. My first choice when I reach the safe would be my Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 buckshot. From there, I have pleanty of other choices. I really would like to add an AR15 and probably will when I can save up the cash. Fortunately I will probably never need anything more than my carry gun, but just in case, they are available. And hopefully, I will never even need my carry gun.

jlottmc
11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I had one of those H&Rs until that damn boat accident. Good gun, even if the bead was off center.

Before the accident, I kept whichever pistol(s) I was using on the street on my night stand, and my pump (Charles Daly field tactical) shotgun with the magazine loaded and in the closet with the rest of my pistols. My pistols were all loaded, the shotgun had an empty chamber, but full magazine and butt cuff with more ammo on it. After I got the AR and SKS (never even got to shoot that one), I kept those two in the closet with full magazines as well.
Damn boats.

les strat
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Glock 30 with a G21 mag and TRL1-s light and a Mossy 18.5" tactical persuader with a Mepro front night sight bead, loaded with 00 buck.

If I am checking out a bump in the night, the Glock is the choice. If I knew it was a definite threat, the shotty is the only way to go.

garyb
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I simply have ready what I had carried that day...usually my PM40. It is on me from morning to nighty night time. At night there are 2 extra mags by it's side.

I simply don't like to leave loaded guns around the house for the bad guys to find when I am not home. I found it to be inconvenient to load up other guns for home SD when I come home each day. I don't want to come home to find a bad guy with my loaded guns pointed at me or the wifey. If it is not on me for SD, all my guns are in a vault...safe and secure and it is unlikely that I would have the time to get them. The vault is tucked away and out of sight too and the bad guys would need to do a search to find it. Too many fine men have cried about their guns being stolen from their home while the owner was away for the day. I learned from that. Bad enough to have a gun stolen, but a loaded gun is worse. I used to keep a back up 870 loaded not far from the bed, but changed my stance on that even though I feel a shotgun is an ideal home defense weapon. It was my Dad's and I don't want it stolen, so I keep it in the safe with the others. Now it's just my carry gun with extra mags...always at the ready. It's enough protection when I am out of the house and should be enough when I am home.

el_presidente
12-08-2012, 10:39 PM
What's on my belt or nightstand is what I've got :D

I thought about stashing everything one tactical shoulder roll away, but I guess I'm old fashioned.

DeaconKC
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
A .44 Special S&W by the 870 at one end of the house and a 1917 S&W .45 and a SxS 12 gauge at the other end.

Planedude
12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Wow! I feel underguned with my "J" frame with a 3in BBL. I did finally take out the two rounds of CCI ratshot (for Mr. Copperheads visits) and have five 125grn standard pressure Hornady Critical Defence loads in it and in the speed loader...
That should do it nicely, low flash, manageable recoil and really accurate. Bad news for Mr. BG.
The rest stay locked in the safe (which sits behind me in my "Alamo post") I won't run out of guns or ammo before help rolls up.

jeepster09
12-12-2012, 07:42 AM
You just never know whats coming.....

Barth
12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120924/SoRnoyRg.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WnKDuSBkSoM/T9ZF00_fcSI/AAAAAAAAAW4/f_8TZXQgY2Y/s1600/terminator.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wB_UaNfMRp8/TysTbnh8jRI/AAAAAAAAArE/2wsbA6_crdI/s1600/the-terminator-police-station-shootout.jpghttp://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/60/TERMSE_SIDEA-50.jpg/600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-50.jpg