PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a TP40 grip to P40 length

ABNAK
11-28-2012, 04:59 AM
I've got a new TP40 on the way. I don't care for the obscenely long grip; would seem the P40's grip would be easier to CCW. Sooooo........I'm thinking about cutting the grip to accept the P40 mags and thus be shorter.

Any advice?

JFootin
11-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Sounds like an interesting project. Measure twice or three times and cut once. You can't put back what you cut off. Get the shorter mag to aid in getting it just so. If it were me, I would make the first cut a little shy of where it needs to be and then work it down slowly until the shorter mag will just seat without much gap. You need a hair of gap to ensure seating every time in varying temperatures.

Steve in Sunny Fla
11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
It'll be exactly the same as doing a 7 round grip into a covert for 6 round mags. Easily done. Heck, you could cut the grip to use 6 rounders, and then use 7's with mag spacers like I did. I think the short grip - long barrel would look a bit weird, but usually it's the grip that's the hardest to conceal, and the extra barrel length will draw the best performance from any given round - Steve

jocko
11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I would have to agree with Steve, if ur gonna do it, cut it to 6 round flsh fit and use the 7 round mag.

On the t series,I do think also two much covert stuff would make a weird looking gun but again if that is what floats ur boats, then go for it. Evidently u would likeit to be smaller and it ain't gonna get that way by starving it either. What Footin said has to be gospel, measure a half dozen times if need be,but cut once. Many here have done coverts and I can't remember anyone fokking it up..

Bawanna
11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Myself I'd go the standard P 7 round mag so you don't have to mess with spacers or sleeves. IF the P grip fits your hands.

It is nice to have the option of the shorter grip and be able to add length which you can't do in reverse.

I see so many guys here that buy G30's and then use extended mags with sleeves, they might as well buy a 21 if they want a full size grip.

It's whatever works best for YOUR needs.

TucsonMTB
11-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I've got a new TP40 on the way. I don't care for the obscenely long grip; would seem the P40's grip would be easier to CCW. Sooooo........I'm thinking about cutting the grip to accept the P40 mags and thus be shorter.

Any advice?
In addition to all the wonderful advice you have already been given . . . please allow me to suggest that you shoot your new TP40 as is for a while before reaching for that hack saw.

You will want to break it in before proceeding so that any issue you might encounter will be handled gracefully by Kahr, if necessary. During that bonding process, you may even discover you like the gun the way it is. :eek:

Bawanna
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Good thinking Tucson, very good thinking.

muggsy
11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Good thinking Tucson, very good thinking.

Who allowed him on this forum? I suppose we could use one clear thinker. :)

TucsonMTB
11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Who allowed him on this forum? I suppose we could use one clear thinker. :)
No worries . . . it only happens occasionally, usually with long intervals of "duh?!" in between. Bawanna can explain. :o

Bawanna
11-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm an expert on the duh part but good thinking is still a bit of a gray area with me. I sometimes write it off to dementia which I'm told is a whole different animal that Ahlzeimers. I'm sure that's next.

TucsonMTB
11-28-2012, 02:53 PM
. . . but good thinking is still a bit of a gray area with me.
http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/icon_lol.gif NOT!

ABNAK
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Myself I'd go the standard P 7 round mag so you don't have to mess with spacers or sleeves.

I think that's what I'm gonna do, just size it for the standard P40 mag (7rd).

I was thinking of measuring south from the mag release at the front and back of the grip on my P40 and transposing it to the TP(?).

ABNAK
11-28-2012, 03:02 PM
In addition to all the wonderful advice you have already been given . . . please allow me to suggest that you shoot your new TP40 as is for a while before reaching for that hack saw.

You will want to break it in before proceeding so that any issue you might encounter will be handled gracefully by Kahr, if necessary. During that bonding process, you may even discover you like the gun the way it is. :eek:

Correct. Having had to send my CW45 back to Kahr I already planned on breaking in the TP and THEN do my cutting.

jocko
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
wise decision, andnot just 100 rounds either. U cut, u loose warranty at kahrs option, not that they might not take careof u but it is their choice.

wyntrout
11-29-2012, 07:28 AM
For my hands, the K/P-sized grip seems perfect. The K is too heavy, but the P40 and P9 are just right. I changed my carry mags to metal base plates and then to the black ones for carry. The K/P-sized grips with a flush-fitting metal base plate don't seem as hard to CC as the polymer ones that protrude about a quarter inch more. I did have to put an O-ring on the P models, though, to stop pinching... especially on the .40. I used a neoprene 3/32" thick by 3/4" inner diameter O-ring.

Wynn:)

wyntrout
11-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Both P's. The Kahr P9 ported barrel is not as dramatic or fire-breathing as the Mag-na-ported P40, and it depends on the camera position and photo background. I haven't had the time to go through the P9 videos and see what the stills look like... Thanksgiving travel and other things going on, but I did go through the first video and the flashes weren't as good against the wall background at the range. :(

Wynn:)