PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

muggsy
11-28-2012, 07:17 AM
If there are any slug gun hunters on the forum? If so what are you shooting? I hunt with a smooth bore Browning B-2000 with rifle sights, or an 870 Remington with a Hastings rifled barrel and a Leupold 1X4 Vari-X II. It depends on where I'm hunting. For close work in hill country I like the Browning. I pick up the Remington when I want to reach out a bit. From the bench the Remington will shoot 2-3" groups @ 100 yards.

jim3597
11-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I have a 12 guage and 20 guage Ithaca model 37 Deerslayers w/ rifled barrels. They both shoot 2 inch groups @ 100 yds using hornady SST or winchester copper sabots (2 3/4 inch).
I like the 20 guage better as it is shorter and kills just as quick as the 12. Using either gun I have taken a total of 14 deer with single shots except one that I gave a finishing shot to on a deer that was down but not dead yet.

jocko
11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
IMO the 37 deerslaryer with rifled barrel was the most accurate of its time. especially scoped..

muggsy
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a 12 guage and 20 guage Ithaca model 37 Deerslayers w/ rifled barrels. They both shoot 2 inch groups @ 100 yds using hornady SST or winchester copper sabots (2 3/4 inch).
I like the 20 guage better as it is shorter and kills just as quick as the 12. Using either gun I have taken a total of 14 deer with single shots except one that I gave a finishing shot to on a deer that was down but not dead yet.

My Browning likes Federal Super Slugs and the Remington prefers Winchester BRI or Remington Copper solids. Both of my guns are 20s. They kick less and shoot flatter. When I first started slug gun hunting everyone said I needed a 12 Ga. I've taken 19 deer with my 20s and, like you, all but one were one shot kills.

muggsy
11-28-2012, 12:30 PM
IMO the 37 deerslaryer with rifled barrel was the most accurate of its time. especially scoped..

My Dad had a Model 37 Ithaca that he carried for years. It was a great shotgun. I'd put it right up there with the Model 12 Winchester and Remington 870. The newer ones weren't quite as nice as the early Ithaca's. The older Ithaca's had a better fit and finish to them.

jocko
11-28-2012, 02:13 PM
It was the best selling Pump that we ever sold in our business. .Our area was full of Ithaca owners due to our gun store. I gave my vintage Model 37 12 and 3 barrels to my grandson 5yearsago and I had it since age16 and never had one part ever break and only god knows how many thousdnds of rounds came out of thatgun. It just got to toexensive for Ithaca to make that gun in tghe area where the factory was at and their machinery dated back to the war days and labor costs etc, and dwindling sales finally ust had to closse the doors. They even autctioned off their machinery even, sad. then I think a company in Ohio bought the name and tried to revamp the 37 with some super nice pumps, even in 28 gauge even but their costs wasjust touch for the genral public. I think tey are now gone, and lately I see that Savage has introdeced a pump identical to the Model 37, so maybe there is still some kindof life in that gun.
I being a lefty the Model 37 was just a perfect gun for me.

JFootin
11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I had an old 37 Featherweight that I didn't pay a lot for at a LGS. I'm a lefty, too, and I liked the smooth action. I wish I still had it. :(

jocko
11-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I had an old 37 Featherweight that I didn't pay a lot for at a LGS. I'm a lefty, too, and I liked the smooth action. I wish I still had it. :(

u ddn't know JFootin that the smartest people in the world were left handed.

MikeyKahr
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM

So have most of the recent presidents. Just sayin.

jocko
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
is not the obummer left handed and he is great isn't he???Just ask himj. I have seen Pelosie scratch her crotch a few times with her left hand, so she must be left handed to. Harry reed picks his nose left handed

. Jay Carney whitehouse spokesan says he can go both ways. Just sayin

muggsy
12-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Jocko, you've got me ROTFLMAO. :)

rjt123
12-07-2012, 10:45 AM

I shoot a rifle left-handed (left eye dominant). Does that make me at least an honorary Southpaw?

jocko
12-07-2012, 10:47 AM
sorry, its all or nuttin..Just sayin

that wouyld be like saying I aqm AC-DC we can't have uncertainty..

Bawanna
12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I shoot a rifle left-handed (left eye dominant). Does that make me at least an honorary Southpaw?

Hold your head up rjt, despite our current society Right is still Right!

I think there are far more cross dominant people out there than left handed folks.

I have numerous officers here inflicted with the cross dominant infection.

Makes me feel blessed to be completely right and normble.

garyb
12-07-2012, 11:41 AM
If there are any slug gun hunters on the forum? If so what are you shooting? I hunt with a smooth bore Browning B-2000 with rifle sights, or an 870 Remington with a Hastings rifled barrel and a Leupold 1X4 Vari-X II. It depends on where I'm hunting. For close work in hill country I like the Browning. I pick up the Remington when I want to reach out a bit. From the bench the Remington will shoot 2-3" groups @ 100 yards.

I did not take the time to read all the replys so sorry if I repeat what someone else says. I live in shotgun country, meaning no rifles allowed for deer hunting. I have always been a muzzleloader, but switched over to shotgun now that the rifled barrels with sabots are just as accurate as muzzleloaders with sabots. Anyway, every gun and every barrel is different. I suggest picking up 3-4 boxes of slugs for your smooth bore and 3-4 boxes of sabots for your rifled shotguns and benching them for group. You will find a significant difference in the groups for each barrel - slug or sabot combination. Once you find the one that groups well, signt in for that ammo and go back and purchase 5-6 boxes of that ammo so you have it on hand. You will find this process expensive, but when you are complete, you will be confident in your barrel - ammo combination from then on. Be sure to look at the production numbers on the box of ammo and try to purchase the same number of that manufacturer's stock. My 870 12ga 23/4" with Hastings loves the Federal Sabot. My TC Encore 20 ga 3" loves the Federal Sabot, my old Ithaca 16ga 2 3/4" loves Winchester slugs. My brother's Mosberg loves the Winchester sabots. You just never know what will shoot best until you group them off a bench....using a sled.

jocko
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
My Model 37 Ithaca with rifled barrel and scoped would shoot um in the same hole at 50 yards. No need for a rilfe in Indiana.

Damn muzzloaders are even more accurate as u guys well know. I can't remember which calibers but I think handguns in at least 357 and above, 44 mag are legal also, and I think I read were the 30-30 is legal. no doubt a few other rifle calibers are to. Were getting more relaxed with our hunting regs of late. I was gonna say liberal but that word makes me puke..

and yes we can now use dogs in Indiana to hunt the Bengal Tiger. Just inacted that law dec. 1. Just sayin. I have bait out now for one even. Hose and Juann are sitting 5 feet from the bait with a cell phon e to call me when the lion comes. Just sayin

jeepster09
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't have a Model 37 Ithaca and never have....Just sayin

JFootin
12-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Oh, I am well aware. I wonder if Einstein was a lefty?

muggsy
12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh, I am well aware. I wonder if Einstein was a lefty?

If you are left handed it means you are right brain dominant. I'm ambidextrous, cross-eyed and out of my mind. :)

muggsy
12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I did not take the time to read all the replys so sorry if I repeat what someone else says. I live in shotgun country, meaning no rifles allowed for deer hunting. I have always been a muzzleloader, but switched over to shotgun now that the rifled barrels with sabots are just as accurate as muzzleloaders with sabots. Anyway, every gun and every barrel is different. I suggest picking up 3-4 boxes of slugs for your smooth bore and 3-4 boxes of sabots for your rifled shotguns and benching them for group. You will find a significant difference in the groups for each barrel - slug or sabot combination. Once you find the one that groups well, signt in for that ammo and go back and purchase 5-6 boxes of that ammo so you have it on hand. You will find this process expensive, but when you are complete, you will be confident in your barrel - ammo combination from then on. Be sure to look at the production numbers on the box of ammo and try to purchase the same number of that manufacturer's stock. My 870 12ga 23/4" with Hastings loves the Federal Sabot. My TC Encore 20 ga 3" loves the Federal Sabot, my old Ithaca 16ga 2 3/4" loves Winchester slugs. My brother's Mosberg loves the Winchester sabots. You just never know what will shoot best until you group them off a bench....using a sled.

It's nice to know that at least one man takes his shotgunning seriously. I guess I was expecting too much from this bunch. I've spent countless dollars and hours finding just the right load for my slug guns and have a permanently bruised shoulder to prove it. I'm thinking about buying a Browning Silver Slug gun for next season. Not that I need it mind you. It's just that I want it.

les strat
12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
is not the obummer left handed and he is great isn't he???Just ask himj. I have seen Pelosie scratch her crotch a few times with her left hand, so she must be left handed to. Harry reed picks his nose left handed

. Jay Carney whitehouse spokesan says he can go both ways. Just sayin

She was just repositioning. Just sayin'.

:puke: