PDA

View Full Version : replace barrel or get NFA license?

a.squibload
03-19-2010, 02:55 AM
I've been hankerin' for a "trunk gun" or "truck gun"
(proper term depends on degree of redneckedness).
Pistol / carbine combo sort of thing. Have PM40, been looking at KelTec
Sub2000 in 40.

I found a used Beretta Storm wantad. Not used a lot, but catastrophically.
Let's say "not going to be covered by warranty".
For reference:
Cx4 Storm (http://www.beretta.com/Defence-Pistols-Carbines/Carbines-Cx4-Storm/Cx4-Storm/index.aspx?m=82&f=2&idc=206&id=852)
Beretta Storm CX4 40 S&W NEW! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160466567)

By email, seller told me he fired a round AFTER a squibload slug stuck in the
barrel, opened a hole just in front of the handguard.

So $250 + $400 for a new barrel, + maybe gunsmith (or is it a DIY project
to replace one of those? I haven't researched any of this yet.) it would cost
close to a new unit, within $150 or so.
BUT is the rest of the unit OK? He says it still fires but I wonder about an overpressure
event like that. It is a pistol cartridge carbine but I guess
the action was not open yet or it wouldn't have popped a hole?

Now the intriguing part:
With a $200(?) special license it could be a "short rifle". Seller said it would
have about 1/4" left in front of the handguard. AFTER OBTAINING SAID LICENSE
I could saw/grind it off. If I really screw it up I could replace the barrel, but
then I'd be out the money for the license I guess.
I have CCW, should be good for a NFA license (if that's the proper name), and if
local sheriff would sign off. Don't know why not. Wondering if it's worth the
trouble, how much trouble is it anyway?

Might need a gunsmith to crown it. I could cheap blue it as it's not gonna be
a collector's item anyway. Probably 10" or so of barrel left, longer sight
radius than pistol, shoulder steady and more capacity. And "cool", I guess
(DO be careful with this one, double-oh seven). Would fit my idea of
a trunk gun, and wouldn't be as expensive as an AK or AR, for example,
in case my car gets stolen while I'm in an office, store, etc. I have a lockup
cable in there for when I go into a criminal safezone and have to leave the
pistol in the car, could get another or figure a lockbox storage solution.

$250 gun + $200 license = $450, well, + gunsmith crown job unless I could
get an appropriate drillbit(?). That's about 200-250 less than a new one,
and about the same as the KelTec.
About 24" OAL vs 17" folded KelTec, could live with that. Storm is supposed
to be a better quality item?

Is the license a one-time deal? Goes with the gun, right? I don't remember,
never thought I'd want a "special" item like this. When I was a kid my
dentist told me he bought a Tommygun, I thought he was a little weird.
My tastes have changed, of course.

Opinions? Research tips? I figured start here, wealth of information, you
guys are the pinnacle of knowledge, I know, stop typing and log off, right?

Vinikahr
03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Too much trouble, you will be better off with a new one for about more less that price, anyway, at time wanted carbine to have in the car, came across Hipoint 995 was about $220 and added an ATI stock, so for about $300 dollars got something similar to CXStorm, and if gets stolen, then it won't put a hurting on you. Hipoint also comes in .40 S&W while not the best looking piece it should be functional.

a.squibload
03-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks, I can't believe I typed all that but I needed input.

Another twist: the seller mentioned that a corporation or a trust could own
the short-barrel rifle (SBR) and the tax or license wouldn't be necessary.
My wife wants to incorporate her little company anyway, so the overall
cost of the broken Storm would drop back to $250. Help me here, I'm just
cheap enough I might try it.

I also considered a lever gun but we're back to the "would hate to lose it" category.

Vinikahr
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks, I can't believe I typed all that but I needed input.

Another twist: the seller mentioned that a corporation or a trust could own
the short-barrel rifle (SBR) and the tax or license wouldn't be necessary.
My wife wants to incorporate her little company anyway, so the overall
cost of the broken Storm would drop back to $250. Help me here, I'm just
cheap enough I might try it.

I also considered a lever gun but we're back to the "would hate to lose it" category.

I wish you best of luck. I hope things work out.

wyntrout
03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I would check with a local Class 3 dealer or someone that sells stuff like that about the trust. I would be worried about a gun that had been through that kind of "trauma" and if there were any problems that might pop up later. I would be real sure that local or state laws don't further restrict something like that. Online research can help, too, but you need to do that for your locale.
I checked into getting a suppressed .22 and it looked like about a grand or so by the time I got through with the trust and all. The trust was supposed to be only $50 or so. The gun and the suppressor ran about $900, at the shop where I shoot. They're not cheap.
Good luck.
Wynn:)

Bawanna
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd say too much trouble for what your doing. You might try PM ing Ghostsoldier over in the tommy gun section. He's been thru what your talking about doing along with a few others. For a tommygun or something like that it might be worth it, I'm thinking of doing it for mine someday when my ship comes in. But for a trunk gun it just seems like too much legal and financial stress to deal with.

mike in pa
03-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Now the intriguing part:
With a $200(?) special license it could be a "short rifle". Seller said it would
have about 1/4" left in front of the handguard. AFTER OBTAINING SAID LICENSE...
I could saw/grind it off. If I really screw it up I could replace the barrel, but
then I'd be out the money for the license I guess.
I have CCW, should be good for a NFA license (if that's the proper name), and if local sheriff would sign off. Don't know why not. Wondering if it's worth the
trouble, how much trouble is it anyway?

$250 gun + $200 license = $450,...

Is the license a one-time deal? Goes with the gun, right? I don't remember,
never thought I'd want a "special" item like this.

Under the NFA the $200 tax is for making or transfer of a NFA firearm. You pay it only once to own or make and it's paid again when the item is transfered to another owner. For individual transfer you need the local CLEO to do a background check, fingerprints and a couple of pictures. If he won't sign off then you can set up a Trust or a LLC, neither requires a CLEO sign off. It can be a pain, but you have to decide if it's worth while to do.

mr surveyor
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm personally familiar with both the KT Sub2000 and the Beretta Storm CX4. For the proposal in the original post to do an SBR permit for an obviously mistreated CX4, I would say absolutely not. Most folks that go through the effort to pay for the "tax stamp" (not license) for a short barreled rifle make for darned sure they will have the desired product when completed, thus using new parts. If the final product of doing the tax stamp registry turn out to be a total POS, then the stamp holder is just plain stuck.

The same amount of money being considered for the SBR conversion would buy a new KT S2K carbine and additional goodies, or could possibly even find a satisfactory used CX4 in good working order.

As for the "hi-point" being close to the Beretta Storm.... there ain't NO amount of aftermarket stock lipstick that will make that comparison.

I would suggest dropping the idea of buying the damaged CX4, and either buy a NIB KT S2K, a reliable used CX4, or save up a bit more and get a NIB CX4. My old KT S2K would outshoot the Marlin Camp Carbine, Hi-point carbine, and other pistol round carbines in every side by side comparison I had a chance to compare. But, when I picked up a slightly used CX4 (9mm) a couple of years ago, it move to the top of the line in my opinion.

surv

Vinikahr
03-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm personally familiar with both the KT Sub2000 and the Beretta Storm CX4. For the proposal in the original post to do an SBR permit for an obviously mistreated CX4, I would say absolutely not. Most folks that go through the effort to pay for the "tax stamp" (not license) for a short barreled rifle make for darned sure they will have the desired product when completed, thus using new parts. If the final product of doing the tax stamp registry turn out to be a total POS, then the stamp holder is just plain stuck.

The same amount of money being considered for the SBR conversion would buy a new KT S2K carbine and additional goodies, or could possibly even find a satisfactory used CX4 in good working order.

As for the "hi-point" being close to the Beretta Storm.... there ain't NO amount of aftermarket stock lipstick that will make that comparison.

I would suggest dropping the idea of buying the damaged CX4, and either buy a NIB KT S2K, a reliable used CX4, or save up a bit more and get a NIB CX4. My old KT S2K would outshoot the Marlin Camp Carbine, Hi-point carbine, and other pistol round carbines in every side by side comparison I had a chance to compare. But, when I picked up a slightly used CX4 (9mm) a couple of years ago, it move to the top of the line in my opinion.

surv

No, is not the same, it was indicate a resemble in looks. The gun may qualify as truck gun. Something to put in the car or truck.

wyntrout
03-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Jeez... I'm thinking that a .45 ACP CX4 might be my next weapon -- home protection -- and I can get one for $699 shipped... new... with a warranty!
Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine .45 ACP 8 round for Sale at Buds Gun Shop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/80548)

$400 for the barrel alone!?? What the heck?:confused:

Wynn

mr surveyor
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
and, for what it's worth, there are now some after market parts available to tweak the CX4.... adjustable (metal) trigger group, stainless guide rod with newly designed buffer, and others. The parts were the brainchild of a forum member at the beretta forum, and now the parts are being marketed by Brownells under the label of "Sierra Papa". When my CX4 finally reaches the top of the list of my guns to get "upgraded", there will be a few of these new parts added. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the factory trigger, although it does tend to be more in the "combat trigger" weight, and non-adjustable.

surv

a.squibload
03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, was kinda leery about problems that would "pop up" later, like the action in my face!
Not sure what pressure like that would do to the rest of the unit.
Might look into the Highpoint, not too worried about looks if I'm considering a KT. Guess
I could put a skirt on it but "stock lipstick" would get on my tuxedo. :>)

Freind of mine has a KT, did the redneck nightlight, AA maglite with tiewraps on the forend.
Says it shoots well, he's out of state so I can't just run over there to try it. He's a revolver nut
and has high standards for accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback, think I'll drop that purchase and concentrate on casting &
swaging equipment, maybe I'll come across a used KT or an AK or maybe a big slingshot.

zena
03-28-2010, 06:39 PM
a.squibload---Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your decision. I did the $200 tax and built an SBR for fun....and it is one of my favorite play toys. I'd save going through all that paperwork for something you really want to own for a while. Besides, you get your name engraved on it!!:D

a.squibload
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a revolver with my name on it, and they spelled it right!