PDA

View Full Version : New TP40!

ABNAK
12-02-2012, 08:08 AM
For starters, I'm NOT going to cut the grip length down. It feels great in the hand. It's a tad (maybe 1/2" at most) taller than a Glock 23, but that's because of the grip angle; the Kahr is much more ergonomic in that regard. It is also about an equal amount shorter than a Glock 23 despite also having a 4" barrel. Obviously the hardest part to conceal for IWB carry is the grip length, but the flatter Kahr still feels great at about the 8 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) as compared to the Glock 23. You can barely tell it's there.

I ran 100 rounds total through it yesterday, a mix of all premium HP ammo:

HST 180gr
HST 165gr
Federal Hi-Shok 155gr
Winchester 165gr Ranger-T
DoubleTap 150gr (my intended carry load, and a HOT one at that)

No malfunctions of any kind! So, although it's technically only halfway through the break-in period, I'm very pleased.

wayneo1
12-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Congratulation on the new gun I have always wondered if they felt as good as they looked.

ABNAK
12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I have always wondered if they felt as good as they looked.

They absolutely do!

I have had a chance to compare the TP with my P40 side-by-side. I found that although it feels like a full grip on the P, my little finger is actually resting on the plastic mag base. On the TP it's fully on the grip itself.

I think a Kahr is hard to beat ergonomically, and this from someone who does like his Glocks. Actually, my wife's and my Kahrs outnumber my Glocks 4:2 now. :D

Now if they just made a 357Sig barrel for it........:tongue:

wyntrout
12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Congratulations! If you want to cut down on the grip length, you can try a metal base plate and use an O-ring... 3/32" thick and 3/4" inner diameter, to prevent pinching. I don't like the polymer not-so-flush base plates, but YMMV. My P40 is just right for me.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/P40%20firing%20165%20Grain%20Blazers/FatO-ringsmiddlebrokenfollower_2117.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Every%20Day%20Carry%2009202012/IMG_3259_zpsdea06ce1.jpg

Wynn:)

hardluk1
12-02-2012, 02:57 PM
How would you rate the snap or felt recoil in the tp40 compaired to the g23. Do you fell double taps are as quick. I have been rolling around a 40sw pistol and I cc a cm or cw 9 now.

ABNAK
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
How would you rate the snap or felt recoil in the tp40 compaired to the g23. Do you fell double taps are as quick. I have been rolling around a 40sw pistol and I cc a cm or cw 9 now.

Seems less snappy, likely due to the grip angle difference. The Glock has a less natural pointability, therefore I'd have to say that the Kahr would be a little quicker in double taps. YMMV.

Close your eyes and bring a Glock, then a Kahr, up to what you think is a target in front of you. Open your eyes and see where the muzzle is pointing. Almost always a Glock will be pointing high; the Kahr will usually be spot on.

ABNAK
12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Congratulations! If you want to cut down on the grip length, you can try a metal base plate and use an O-ring... 3/32" thick and 3/4" inner diameter, to prevent pinching. I don't like the polymer not-so-flush base plates, but YMMV. My P40 is just right for me.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/P40%20firing%20165%20Grain%20Blazers/FatO-ringsmiddlebrokenfollower_2117.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Every%20Day%20Carry%2009202012/IMG_3259_zpsdea06ce1.jpg

Where do you get the metal baseplate from?

wyntrout
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Kahr sells them for $8.80 each the base and the lock plate... or better the KIT with both parts for $15. The black kit is $19.95. The 9mm and the .40 are interchangeable.

from their home page
http://www.kahr.com/Kahr-Pistols-Parts/Kahr-Products.asp

search for ".40 magazine base plate kit".

This will get you to a page where all of the base plates are listed.

I think shipping will be $5 for up to $49.99, so you can order several... and even get a cap!

hardluk1
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
abnak never had a problem with shooting other handguns. Glocks included. Matter afact if glock made a reall CC pistol i would be CC'n one. I do shoot at some range day 3 or 4 differnt brands and find no real difference between brands. Only takes a few rounds to be in tune with each. I am alway sure to shoot my kahrs last to finsh with them to get the feel back in my finger and mind for CC. After a 2lb SA trigger even a kahr feel really bad. Those first 4 shoot shoots sink. Turn that around to the glock and the first 4 rounds go off way to early. Not ready.

Thank anyhow.

ABNAK
12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
abnak never had a problem with shooting other handguns. Glocks included. Matter afact if glock made a reall CC pistol i would be CC'n one. I do shoot at some range day 3 or 4 differnt brands and find no real difference between brands. Only takes a few rounds to be in tune with each. I am alway sure to shoot my kahrs last to finsh with them to get the feel back in my finger and mind for CC. After a 2lb SA trigger even a kahr feel really bad. Those first 4 shoot shoots sink. Turn that around to the glock and the first 4 rounds go off way to early. Not ready.

Thank anyhow.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. I too have Glocks, and like them. I just feel the ergonomics of the Kahr pistols, especially the TP series, is superior. Trigger-wise I'd have to give the nod to the Glock, and that's not something I would've said if I hadn't run a couple hundred rounds through both this TP40 and a CW45 recently. Kahr's trigger is smooth but l-o-n-g. The Glock I can feel the breaking point with, not as definitively with the Kahr.

Nonetheless, with the grip angle being more natural for pointability (for me anyway), the way it feels in my hand (without the Glock's "bulge"), and the flatness of it I'll give the overall blue ribbon to the Kahr > Glock.

ABNAK
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Kahr sells them for $8.80 each the base and the lock plate... or better the KIT with both parts for $15. The black kit is $19.95. The 9mm and the .40 are interchangeable.

from their home page
http://www.kahr.com/Kahr-Pistols-Parts/Kahr-Products.asp

search for ".40 magazine base plate kit".

This will get you to a page where all of the base plates are listed.

I think shipping will be $5 for up to $49.99, so you can order several... and even get a cap!

Thanks Wynn, I'll be on that in the AM!

I noticed a little printing of the butt end of the grip with a T-shirt on if I leaned forward at all, even though the gun itself is quite comfortable to carry IWB. Maybe this will help a bit.

jocko
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
anutter reason why blocks have that fokking SAS o their gun where kahrs are pull it, aim shoot. nuttin to remember. It damn well better hae a looooooong trigger system. two totally different guns IMO. I own a g19 finest shooter I have ever had, I dont have asafe but it is a safe queen no less to my pMJ9

I might be blowing smoke but I truly believe that in a SHTF scenario, ur gonna be hard pressed to tell a glock trigger from a kahr trigger. Just sayin

ABNAK
12-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I might be blowing smoke but I truly believe that in a SHTF scenario, ur gonna be hard pressed to tell a glock trigger from a kahr trigger. Just sayin

No doubt about it. I was just trying to be detailed in my reply to the other guy; not bashing Kahr's trigger at all. After all, the Glock 23 is in the safe now! ;)

Barth
12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
anutter reason why blocks have that fokking SAS o their gun where kahrs are pull it, aim shoot. nuttin to remember. It damn well better hae a looooooong trigger system. two totally different guns IMO. I own a g19 finest shooter I have ever had, I dont have asafe but it is a safe queen no less to my pMJ9

+1
After an adrenalin dump, with tunnel vision and loss of fine motor skills, I really think it's all instinct at that point.
Having a weapon that you are extremely comfortable and proficient with is the real solution.