PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Springfield

Bawanna
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Amongst all the negative media talk, the recent sad election talk, I feel the need to focus on the positive.

Yesterday even though the church mouse is far more flush than I, I went to our monthly gun show. I enjoy looking and usually see something that I haven't seen before so even though I'm broke I still make the most of it.

Anyhow as usual I found myself comparing 1911's. Lord knows I need another asap. Recently I've been chatting with the SWAT guys about weapon lights and if they are successful in their effort to carry what they want they will require 1911's with a light rail.

I'm not totally won over to light rails especially on a 1911 that I'm so conditioned to seeing without one. I also prefer a separate hand held light as opposed to a mounted light but they do have advantages.

I found myself at a table that had numerous 1911's with and without light rails. What struck me the most, I guess because I've been thinking about them a lot of late is the Springfield Operator and the Range Officer.
I thought the Operator was pretty nice, looked good, nice fit and finish although it was green which to me is also unnatural. Handled 2 and they both have very nice triggers I'd guess in the 4.5 to 5# range which to me is about right.
I wasn't thrilled about the Pachmyer grips that come standard, thought it was kind of cheap, they felt good, nice postive grip etc just not right to me.

Then I fondled the Range Officer, very similar, had adjustable rear sight, wood grips that were not knock your socks off category but I know a guy that could remedy that. Trigger, fit and finish nearly identical to the Operator which is to say pretty nice.

Now I find myself pondering weather I can do without a stainless gun. I think I can, I maintain stuff pretty good and a little honest wear on a blued gun isn't a bad thing.

There were several Kimbers, Smiths, Sigs, etc that I glanced at but didn't fondle as I'd looked enough at that table with no gold in my pocket so maybe next month (if I can renew my membership) I'll check those out.

Maybe Jocko won't see this (he's an anti 1911 deviant) and we can keep it a happy positive 1911 discussion.

Incidently my MRI Desert Eagle 1911G at a fraction of the cost of those Springfields I bet would run with them just fine. As is my usual practice I opened the toy box when I got home to apologize for looking and fondling other guns and hold a few to make amends.

Longitude Zero
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I like and have fired the Springfields. Nice. I like and have fired Kimbers but they are WAAAAAAY to proud of what they build.

Bawanna
12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I agree with that completely.

Alfonse
12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Stainless is so easy to maintain! When I have bought a pistol I like that isn't stainless, I always find myself looking at the auctions, etc. to see if I can find a deal on a stainless version. Really, green? That only works if you have your colors done and they're the same as Jeepster...

Not sure if that would make you a "fall" or "winter."

AJBert
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I've got a SA Mil-Spec and have been eyeing getting the RO. The Mil-Spec will eat anything I feed it and spit them out reliably and accurately. This includes mixing up the rounds, FMJ with HP with SD rounds in the same magazine. Rapid fire, slow, doesn't matter.

As far as the RO goes, from looking here and there, it is hard to beat what this 1911 comes with out of the gate for the price. Still trying to convince the Boss that I REALLY need one. She is still mulling it over...I think?

johnk568
12-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Howdy,

Being from the state where the Springfield Armory is(Illinois) I owned several of them. From HiCaps, to Mil-Spec's & 1 loaded. I have never had a FTF/FTF with them. They eat anything, just like my Border Collie/Terrier Mix. I have SS, black, blue, & and OD one(factory finish). They're a great guns and well worth the price. A ISP Trooper got a Range Officer from his wife as a present. He really likes it, alot.
johnk568

Barth
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
As I consider a 1911, sans the super high end stuff,
Springfield and Dan Wesson seems to be the best choice.

Need to pay off my 4x4.
Replenish my bank accounts.
And stop buying Heckler and Hock sidearms before that can happen.

But I've always wanted an all stainless 45.
I've almost totally given up hope on a Kahr K45.
Almost...

TheTman
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I have an old SA stainless 1911 from the 90's, and it's been a great gun, other than those GI sights I've been meaning to replace since I bought it. They were fine, but now I can't see them very well. It's accurate and reliable. Since I have trouble seeing the sights, I put a laser I got from a Kahrtalk brother on it, and that has helped a bunch.

gb6491
12-06-2012, 06:26 AM
I have an old SA stainless 1911 from the 90's, and it's been a great gun, other than those GI sights I've been meaning to replace since I bought it. They were fine, but now I can't see them very well. It's accurate and reliable. Since I have trouble seeing the sights, I put a laser I got from a Kahrtalk brother on it, and that has helped a bunch.
My only current Springer 1911 is one from the same time period. SA actually called it the "90's Edition". It's a rattle trap, but shoots well and is reliable: I like it a lot:).
http://i39.tinypic.com/68zhpe.jpg
10yds standing
http://i47.tinypic.com/2nb53r9.jpg
I've also owned a TRP and a Range Officer. Both were excellent pistols, but I ended up selling them to fund something else. I think the RO is very good value for the dollar, but if I buy another Springer new, it will probably be a TRP. One thing I don't like that SA is doing of late is that they are gluing the ejector in place, no cross pin at all (frame isn't even drilled for one). I don't know if they do this across the board, but my RO was done this way.
Regards,
Greg

wyntrout
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Speaking of Springfields, I was just at Wolff Springs site to buy some more 5-lb striker springs. I needed 4 more for the rest of my Kahrs, so I ordered the 10-pack... about $1.60 each!

Anyhow, I looked around and decided to get some of their new Springfield XD45 magazine springs for the 13-round mags... got a 10-pack of those, too. Then I was looking at the recoil springs and ordered one of those. I thought about the different weighted recoil springs, not thinking I really needed to tinker with that, but the calibration recoil spring kit was only $18.79:

Recoil Calibration Pack for .45ACP 5" XD pistol. Includes 14, 16, & 18.5 Lb. recoil springs. Allows for fine tuning the of the gun to shooters preference. Three extra power striker springs also included. (Stock No. 13228)

I see that the latter are striker springs that I may not need, and the 18.5lb one is factory standard, but I got more for my money. I was thinking it was the heavier 20# recoil springs... DOH!:D

Wynn:)