PDA

View Full Version : Guided Long Range Shooting

Alfonse
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I think this is truly the leap that will bring electronics into small arms. It sounds like it will be pricy for the early adopters, but give the technology a few years.

http://www.guns.com/trackingpoint-precision-guided-rifle-intelligent-digital-tracking-scope-11541.html

Here is the youtube video: http://youtu.be/LvbyAcYjzlc

It will be interesting to see how the BATF deals with the technology. On a bolt action (Rem 700 platform) the electronic trigger is not an issue. On a semi, like an AR, it could just as easily be programmed to send three rounds as one.

knkali
12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I read $15-20K for the set up. Too much for the working man IMHO. Not sure how it handle wind, elevation, and other parameters. It could be cool though

XD40SC
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Looks like a good place to spend some lottery winnings. Now, if I can just hit the lottery..... Pretty cool system, but does take any "skill" out of shooting so I don't see it being attractive for anyone who actually wants to practice to improve their shooting. Obviously has great implications for LEO snipers to help minimize collateral damage.

Alfonse
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Give it a few years and it will get cheaper, and probably smaller.

knkali
12-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Give it a few years and it will get cheaper, and probably smaller.

If it is allowed to be bought by civilians

RRP
12-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Can this be real? Come on. How can this work with ordinary ammo in an ordinary rifle? Call me doubting thomas, but I don't expect to see this on the market in Jan 2013, or anytime soon.

muggsy
12-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I can see how the system could calculate for elevation, but how does it calculate windage and how does it handle mirage?

knkali
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
The technology is there on other ballistic scopes once you input the parameters, the trigger mech is what makes this different. I think it is real. How effective it is at 500+ yards is another story. Time will tell. The mirage thing is a challenge though

other questions:
how much does it weigh?
Battery life?
Night vision?
moving target?
if the target gets out of the FOV will it pick it up again?
if it fails can the gun be used conventionally?
waterproof?
Durability?