PDA

View Full Version : New member with questions so please take it easy on me...

igolfat8
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
First off, I am a 55 year old male and have owned firearms since I was about 10 years old. I don't currently own any long guns but have always loved hand guns. Most of my adult life I have returned to Glocks after owning most of the other brands. I have grown to prefer the .40 cal over all others as well. My EDC is a G27 in a Frontline IWB holster but am looking for a smaller pistol for pocket carry.

The PM / CM series appeals to me most [visually] but have also considered the Beretta Nano. Since I reload I would prefer to stay with .40 and since the Nano .40 is not available it puts another + on the side of Kahr.

As probably most of you have done, I read all I can on forums and watch YouTube videos. Both the Nano and CM/PM have their share of supporters but also both share an alarmingly high number of opponents due to mechanical issues.

Reliability is paramount to me above all else in this decision making process. Since none of my three Glocks (22, 23 & 27) have ever had one malfunction is reason enough [for me] to keep returning to and supporting their products. I am not here to point fingers so please don't take my introductory post the wrong way. I am just asking for advice from Kahr owners / users to recommend what is the most reliable weapon for my needs.

Is any one single Kahr model that has a more proven track record or is one more reliable over another? Perhaps an all metal is more reliable than the poly/metal hybrids or vice versa? Weight is a factor so lighter is personally preferred over heavier, given a choice. I am looking for something a bit slimmer than my G27 to carry in my coat or pants pocket so I would appreciate any input or feedback you are willing to share..

Tinman507
12-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Seriously look at the K9. All metal and a dream to shoot well.
It's thin, relatively light and solid as a rock.

Welcome to the Forum.

Bawanna
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The PM's and the CM's are generally very reliable the last couple years. Personally if I had to say there's a weak link in the entire Kahr line I'd say it's the 40 in the polymer models.

But even those we are hearing very few issues about of late.

That being said I'd buy Kahr with confidence. There's always a bad one from time to time but they will take care of it. All brands have a bad one now and then, even the Austrians.

They are certainly slimmer than the 27's but that's really not a fair comparison as the 27 is a double stack, but if slim is what you seek the PM or the CM is the hands down winner.

XD40SC
12-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Your post could pass for my past experience, except that I ended up with an XD40SC as an EDC IWB. I too was looking for a pocket pistol and after much exhaustive research (considered the Glock line too) I ended up with a Kahr P380. Just got it and still fleshing out some gremlins, but still have confidence that it'll be a good purchase in the long run. I like everything about it, ability to conceal, lots of pocket holsters available and the wife shoots it great! As with anything that you research on this wonderful old internet, most will post up with issues they're having as you don't see a high percentage of folks on forums starting out a post with " just wanted to say I'm uber happy with my XXXX and have no issues to report". As I noted, I'm having some reliability issues right now, but it's still new to me (my first Kahr) and with the help of the good folks here on this forum, I'm confident I'm headed in the right direction to get this "Little Bastard" working like a fine Swiss watch. Good luck with your search and welcome aboard!

Barth
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a gen 3 Glock G27 and a Kahr MK40 Elite.
The Kahr is heavier and smaller.
But softer shooting and more accurate in my hands.
Following a lengthy break-in the Kahr has been flawless with all weight and brand of 40 JHP ammo.

Following break-in, I don't think I've read of anyone having MK40 issues.
The K and MK all stainless guns are some of the best of Kahr - IMHO.

Of course I'm biased - LOL!
http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/1_pistols_kahr_mk40_elite_03_39003.jpg

igolfat8
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome gang. I always take what I read on the internet with a grain or two of salt... but wait, if its ion the net, its got to be true... right?

Are the K & MK lines the same physical size as the PM and CM models? Can you elaborate on the break in process or do you have a link to point me in the right direction? I assume its a thorough cleaning before running it and then off to burn up a couple hundred rounds to loosen everything up?

chrish
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
The K and MK are equivalent sizes to the P and PM series guns. Exact specs are available on Kahr.com if you want to compare spec-to-spec. But, pretty much exactly the same, the K/MK are a little wider mostly b/c of the grip. But otherwise, pretty close.

There is stick on prep and break-in.
http://kahrtalk.com//showthread.php?t=1521

Of course, everyone recommends a thorough cleaning (which some do and some don't). I personally didn't on my PM and P, did on my TP for whatever reason. None of the 3 have had issues, rock solid from the get-go w/ no failures of any kind. Experiences vary as do w/ every other thing you buy (cars, computers, etc.), so YMMV w/ your break-in experience. But put as much thru it as you can afford, at least 200 rounds per the manual. But the more you shoot, the smoother it'll get. There are plenty of folks w/ thousands and thousands of rounds thru. I personally think that they get butter smooth after around 1000 rounds.

Shoot it Shoot it Shoot it...

Fredr500
12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Been there, done that, got they-shirt. Really, I got the CM9 and no T-shirt. Did the same research you did, heard horror stories from one guy in theLGS, heard great stories from others.

Did all the prep suggested in the stickie, then put 200 rounds of the cheapest stuff I could find through it. Not a single problem of any kind. First shot at 5 yards was in the bulls-eye without aiming. Of course that was all luck and no skill, but it shoots great.

Get one, you won't regret it.

getsome
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello igolfat8, Welcome to Kahrtalk!!!...This place is not like some other gun forums on the net, your other pistol brand forum being one that sometimes is hard on new members with previously asked questions or anyone with anything negative to say about the brand...This is a super friendly place with terrific mods and we all will be more than happy to try and answer any and all questions you may have about a Kahr pistol...

What Crish said is very true...Kahrs are very tight and only get better the more shots down range....I bought a slightly used PM40 DLC with night sights that a fellow bought for his wife but she couldn't deal with the recoil...The little gun has never once had any FTF or FTE of any kind with all kinds of ammo...I can easily slingshot the first round and the little beast is always in my right front jeans pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster and I forget it's there but if it needs to come out I am comfident I have a handful of whoop a$$ that will shoot every single time to deal with any problem bad guys....

Perhaps I am lucky with this pistol...I had a CW40 that had problems dropping the magazine sometimes after a shot was fired...I put a replacement mag release lever in and it solved the problem but I wanted a pocket pistol and a CW is just too big for that so when the PM40 showed up at my LGS for a great price I jumped on it and the rest is history...It is my everyday carry and has never failed me...

I would love to find an all metal MK40 or even a K9 but I have never seen the need to replace my PM40 but I gotta say those all metal Kahrs are some kind of beautiful and built like a swiss watch and are bullet proof with zero issues and highly desirable and I hope to be able to find and afford one someday...Good luck with your purchase, either Kahr, Beretta or whatever and again welcome to Kahrtalk...Good luck and happy shooting...:yo:

QuercusMax
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Well since the marketing literature on Glock says they are "perfection" then every other brand must be a step down. If the marketing is to be believed.

Kahrs are not inexpensive cheapies. Especially the all-metal ones like the one Barth pictured are not only beautiful to behold, they are also beautiful to actually hold - and shoot - over and over, very reliably. And by all accounts, the polymer models are just as reliable.

My Kahr MK9 Elite has been perfection. As much as any Glock. And much nicer to look at.

bwanatom
12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
As far as Glock reliability goes, I don't think you can do much better in other guns. Just the same, if you decide not to carry because you are tired of the size and weight of your carry gun, reliability doesn't matter anymore. For me, my carry gun has to fit in one of my pockets, not in a ITW, or any other method, it has to fit comfortably preferably inside my front pocket. The Glocks don't seem to accommodate my parameters. The gun that does is the Kahr PM9. No that I've got it broken in, it's totally reliable. One issue I did have was my own fault. When sling shotting the first round of a full mag into the chamber it sometimes jammed and didn't go into lockup, I had to give the slide a little jolt with my palm heel to get it to lockup (ready to fire). With advice from this forum, I was told I wasn't giving it a full slingshot. Once my method of slingshotting was corrected, it never jams anymore. This is a great little, concealable, reliable pocket gun that I would recommend to anyone wanting a carry gun.

Geobob
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Hello, IgolfAt8, and welcome from Missouri to what looks to be a really great forum. I will be picking up a used K-9 this Saturday. Really looking forward to it and seeking forum input on things. There appear to be really good folks here. I'm a hangun vs long gun guy also.
-----------------------------------
Geologist Bob
US Navy P-3 Pilot, Army Guard Huey & Blackhawk Pilot (ret.)

htbkahrshooter
12-15-2012, 12:00 AM
You have to put your hands on the P9 and PM9. They fit like a glove. U can hide the PM9 anywhere.

pocket pistol
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I've been really happy with my CM9... I only had 2 FTEs in my first 200 shots and all reliability since. I carry it daily and don't have a second thought. I'm about to go Christmas shopping right now with my daughter and I have the CM9 tucked in.

Harrylee
01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi IgolfAt8 sounds like we are in same boat same age and prefer hand guns. Last year I went thru the same thing 9mm 40 45 what to get did alot of reading and research.Never had small frame poly gun before I was stuck on my old buddy 1911 and steel revolver both to heavy to lug around looked at nano didn't like it nice size but not for me.Then ran across kahr at a family run dealer around the corner from he had cm9 in the case handled it didn't feel bad the grip was small had to wrap your little finger under but I was used to that from my ruger blackhawk SA.They also had it in 40, I went back and forth 9 or 40 for awhile finally just thought 40 would be to much for that frame size. so that was it got the cm9 first time out I was amazed how little recoil it had even when I shoot hot SD +loads.Small enough for pocket but I'm a holster man use belt holster in fall and winter in band spring, summer.
In the summer this thing disappears under a tee shirt