PDA

View Full Version : NRA Presser at 11EST

Tinman507
12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Watch live online

http://home.nra.org/default.aspx#/nraorg

Longitude Zero
12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Wayne hit the nail pretty much on the head.

JustinN
12-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Didn't have time to watch. What is their main target?

Tinman507
12-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Calling on Congress to immediately appropriate money for an armed trained security guard in every school. Also went after Hollywood and Video Game companies for wholesale gratuitous violence.

aray
12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I missed it myself but the transcript is excellent! You can read the transcript here: http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf

As stated calls for armed security at our schools. Promises to use their world-class training experience to put this together for anyone who wants to participate, and to train the security for free. NRA will bankroll this - private funds no government needed.

Really worth reading. Much more in there. Only a few pages long but worth your time.

Way to go NRA!

Tilos
12-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Sadly, this is/was a non-event, only broadcast on Fox news, but all the major media was there to record it, and will edit it to suit there needs/bias.
I'm sure, only the protester's part will make the liberal news.

Only congressional term limits will end most problems in Washington.
jmo

JohnR
12-21-2012, 12:21 PM
The news will focus on the moron protesters and say the NRA blames video games.

RRP
12-21-2012, 01:20 PM
~
NRA will bankroll this - private funds no government needed.
~

There are 100,000 public schools in the US. To place a full time cop in every building, will cost approximately $10,000,000,000 per year. More, if security services are needed for afternoon and evening school activities.

That's $10,000,000,000 each school year. Where is that money going to come from? The NRA won't pay for that.

It's a lot easier for politicians to pass another restrictive gun law, than to come up with $10,000,000,000 each year. Then they can pin medals on themselves, and boast about how much money they saved.

Bawanna
12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Which reinforces my belief to use personnel already on site. Buy them a gun if they don't have one.

Give them simple basic training, locally and inexpensively and quickly.

Even supply practice ammo and maybe a bi annual qual, nothing more.

Remember 99.8 percent will never have to use their gun, after a few years they will probably get lax and leave it at home anyhow and we're right back where we started.

I'd volunteer for any evening events or days I can get away.

Tilos
12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Just eliminating school gun free zones would be a deterrent, and costs nothing.
Six theaters in Aurora were showing that batman flic and only one had signs banning concealed carry, the one where the shooting took place...go figure.

That guy it CT shot himself when he heard the police coming, that's what ended it.
Same thing in Portland.
I'm guessing the 2 women who "confronted" the bg did not rush him, but rather tried to reason with him, and quickly ended up drt.
jmo

les strat
12-21-2012, 05:48 PM
There are 100,000 public schools in the US. To place a full time cop in every building, will cost approximately $10,000,000,000 per year. More, if security services are needed for afternoon and evening school activities.

That's $10,000,000,000 each school year. Where is that money going to come from? The NRA won't pay for that.

It's a lot easier for politicians to pass another restrictive gun law, than to come up with $10,000,000,000 each year. Then they can pin medals on themselves, and boast about how much money they saved.

That's crazy. Divide that out, and you get $100K a year salary for working 2/3 of a year? Let's think more in the ballpark of $40K/year salary. Still a lot on money for that many schools, but I bet most parents would contribute if it made their kids safer. I would.

Tilos
12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Volunteers cost no one anything:D

Think of small town volunteer fire departments with the equipment being the only cost....that and liability insurance:rolleyes:

RRP
12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
That's crazy. Divide that out, and you get $100K a year salary for working 2/3 of a year? Let's think more in the ballpark of $40K/year salary. Still a lot on money for that many schools, but I bet most parents would contribute if it made their kids safer. I would.

No, it's not as crazy as you think.

Spend a few minutes at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website and find the mean salary for a police officer. Then add the employer's portion of FICA, retirement contribution, health insurance costs and other benefits.

Don't forget the cost of weapons, tactical gear, training ammo, uniforms etc. Oh, and the cop needs a car, too. Add it up, and you'll see my estimate is much closer than your own.

robert3409
12-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm glad the NRA did not go soft on us today!!

muggsy
12-22-2012, 07:14 AM
In Israel teachers carry Uzis.

ZardozCZ
12-22-2012, 07:58 AM
If they cut a minor portion of corporate welfare to give back to the schools, the cost would be negligible.

yqtszhj
12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
In Israel teachers carry Uzis.

I like that. And they have all served in the Israeli military and are ready to protect against terrorist, be they foreign or domestic.