PDA

View Full Version : Help! Daughters K9 won't come apart.

Springer
12-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Daughter and I got home from the range and she went to clean her K9 and could not get the slide off, neither could I.

What I noticed was the guide rod is sticking out about 1/4", slide cycles ok and trigger works, but will not come off of frame.

The only thing I can think of is the recoil spring was put on the guide rod backwards the last time she cleaned it and it jumped a few coils.

Anyone have any ideas on this problem? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks

Bawanna
12-22-2012, 10:15 AM
The guide rod is sticking out or just coils of the recoil spring?

You can't get the slide off the frame? I'm not getting why it wouldn't come off normally but it's early for me. I'll ponder this while some of the smarter folks are wrapping their minds around this.

Springer
12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Bawanna; Yes the guide rod itself is out the front about 1/4", normally flush, thats why I think the spring was put in backwards (large end first) and went over the guide rod flange.

The slide will not move forward more than 1/16" after you pull the trigger to remove the slide.

jocko
12-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Houston, we have a problem..

have u tried maybe once the pin is out ad the trigger is pulled giving it a good whackon the back of the slide with a rubber mallet or plastic mallet or chunk of wood. I can't see anything ur gonna break by trying that.

canu handrackthe slide fully with the slide lock lever in place???

I don't see any utter way that even Kahr wold remove the side either

Bawanna
12-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Bawanna; Yes the guide rod itself is out the front about 1/4", normally flush, thats why I think the spring was put in backwards (large end first) and went over the guide rod flange.

The slide will not move forward more than 1/16" after you pull the trigger to remove the slide.

I sometimes get that if I don't have the guide rod perfectly centered up when I reassemble. Guide rod sticks out and won't go together.

I don't see how that could happen after the gun is all together.

LorenzoB
12-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I think you must be right about the coils jumping over the end of the guide rod, but not sure why you couldn't pull the slide off. I assume you tried pulling the trigger while pulling the slide forward (at the same time)?

Tinman507
12-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I've had that happen to me.
Here's the potential fix:

On a soft piece of wood, place the muzzle end down on the wood and push down until the Guide Rod is pushed back in. Pull the trigger and holding the slide, pull up on the frame. It should move the slide off the frame. Might take a couple of tries but that's how I solved it. Spring wasn't in backwards but the pigtail end snuck out the guide rod hole. Always make sure to position the pigtail end next to the barrel.

rago
12-22-2012, 03:00 PM
yes the spring was in backwards , call kahr they will give you a e shipper so you can sent it back to khar , they will take care of it put in a new spring and check it over then sent back to your ffl , which you also have to send it out that way in mi. i did the same thing let them take care of it, turn around time about 8 days

CJB
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
The slide stuck... sometimes happens.

Put the pin back in the hole - but just enough to engage the barrel underlug.

No need to put the pin all the way in, nor is it desirable at this point.

Rack the slide. Pull the trigger. Wiggle the slide forward as you also wiggle the trigger... sometimes it takes a little finagling to make it work the way it oughta.

Springer
12-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Gentlemen; Thanks for the replies.

CJB..I have pushed-pulled, wiggled-waggled, grunted-groaned, and cussed, nothing.

Tinman507.. Tried that too...will not push back at all.

Jocko... I think you are right but haven't been able to bring myself to whack on my daughters gun...yet!!!

Rago... What did Kahr charge you for yours?

Thanks again Guys.

Springer
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to update this problem. I contacted Kahr for a repair, they sent a shipping label, and I sent it back last Mon.
I received it back today!
They got it apart, replaced recoil spring, lubed, & tested....FANTASTIC customer service!!!!

Guess thats why there is 4 Kahrs in the family.

JustinN
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the update! I'm guessing they didn't explain what they did to get it off?

saltydog452
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
You have mentioned that Kahr did the fix, but there was no mention of what was amiss or the solution.

Springer
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
From the Technical Service Work Sheet;
Problem Reported: Slide will not come off the frame.

Action Taken: Disassemble, replace bent recoil spring, reassemble, lubed,
tested OK.

Judging from the gouging on the frame, I believe I am right about the recoil spring being put on backwards and a few coils jumping the flange of the Guide Rod. It took some force to press or pound that slide off! I'm very glad I decided to send it back to the folks that know exactly what to do.

jocko
01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
u did right, and also to even admit maybe u installed the recoil spring wrong, also shows ur character. Kudos to u and kahr, now shoot it like u stole it....

KoBear
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
i just had to do this for my buddy's K9.

vised the frame and gave it a couple love taps from the back of the slide.

he put the guide spring in backwards and it jumped over the flange on the guide rod.

i did manage to crack the slide back. fml.

jocko
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
a very good reason why one end of the recoilspring is closed. It will prevent that if installed correctly.

A few years back the PMJ9 had some 0f this happening and tey changed to the 1/2" flatportion on the recoil rod instead of the original 3/8" size. . Kahr recoil springs expecall the one peace ones are very low in price from wolffs gunsprings, so IMO change as u feel the need...