PDA

View Full Version : Kahr tool

gig
12-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Hey all,

Just purchased a new CW9 and wanted to smooth up and lube the guts.
The little pin and spring behind extractor that must be depressed to remove the end cap seemed especially difficult and in this particular disassembly step, I always am wishing for a third hand.

I fashioned my Kahr tool "third hand" from a section of coat-hanger, although any stiff, bendable wire will work.
I bent one end just long enough to capture the rear end of the striker plunger, then the other end was bent to slip over the face of the bolt.
The distance between the two bends is just short enough to hold the rear of the striker plunger away from the end cap thus reliving the pressure on the end cap.

By placing the slide down on a flat surface, the wire tool is held in place freeing the other two hands for depressing the extractor pin and spring and removing the end cap.

gig
12-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Hummm, just visited the tech section and note a pic of the same tool I described above.

If you view this post and want more detail, I would refer you to the tech section for better description and a picture.

JFootin
12-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the forum! :) As you can see, you're not the first genius to come up with the takedown tool. But a genius nonetheless! :yo:

kahrbw9
12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I just use a precision flathead screwdriver from the dollar store.

LorenzoB
12-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi innovative gig, welcome to the forum and congrats on the CW9!

68blackbird
12-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Congrats on your CW9.....got mine couple days ago, jonesin to run some ammo thru it. Cold up there yet?

gig
12-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum! :) As you can see, you're not the first genius to come up with the takedown tool. But a genius nonetheless! :yo:

Thanks for the welcome, but don't know about the genius part. Just an old dirt farmer who uses balin' wire for everything.

I have had a pm9 for a couple of years now; but never had as much trouble with it in removing the striker spring assembly and ejector. Could always manage it with just the screw driver trick as mentioned by kahrbw9.
Seems on the new cw9 the ejector pin was especially tough to move.
After I did get it all apart, I did a little polishing work on the ejector system shaft, think it will be easier the next time.

Not cold yet; but expecting a little snow tonight.
Where in S Tx are you close to?

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I suspect you mean extractor but it's all rock and roll to me.

It will be easier next time.

Merry Christmas.

gig
12-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Your right, I meant extractor, thanks...... At least I got it right in the first post.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I was right once too, I think it was in 1968 but I could be mistaken.

getsome
12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Welcome to kahrtalk gig....You were smart to figure out that tool on your own even though it's been done before after several of us launched springs to parts unknown without something like that...

Another very useful free tool is a chop stick from a Chinese restaurant to use to keep the slide open to the magic mark on the frame to pull the slide release pin out or hammering it out with a plastic mallet or screw driver handle depending on how new your pistol is...Just pull the slide back and stick the chop stick down into the chamber area and adjust the taper to get everything lined up...

Thanks again for the post and if you have any questions or problems post away as there are many nice folks here that are glad to help...

gig
12-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I was right once too, I think it was in 1968 but I could be mistaken.

Well, lets update that '68 thing and I have just the question to do that.

At the moment I am disassembling a Ruger SR9c. The first step is to push the "ejector" down before the slide can be removed.

Now,,,I got to wondering,,,,,on a Kahr, what is the ejector? The Ruger has this protrusion (ejector) that pushes on the inside of the shell while the "extractor" pops it out.
I cannot figure out on the Kahr anything that pushes.........maybe it doesn't need it.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.kahr.com/Parts/Kahr-CM9.asp

Part # 31 is the ejector. It's just a fixed blade that moves very little. Just bumps the case out while the extractor flips it out but you knew that, I can tell.

gig
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Well from now on, you have me as a witness that you were right in 2012 as well. (now where's that thumbs up icon)

But in all seriousness, I am looking at the guts of the SR9 and cw9 laying side-by-side and I am continually amazed at how Kahr seems to get everything done in a much more simple style and with fewer parts.

Of course when you eliminate a manual safety, magazine disconnect, and that "glockish" trigger thing, you end up with a fine working machine that only needs a touch of oil.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 03:20 PM
As long as Jocko see's your post I'm a happy man.

gig
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey man, I went to your site and it appears to me you have been doing many things right for a good number of years.
I think you have a very good "grip" on life.

Now where's that Jocko fella, I gotta speak to him.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey man, I went to your site and it appears to me you have been doing many things right for a good number of years.
I think you have a very good "grip" on life.

Now where's that Jocko fella, I gotta speak to him.

You better pet him first, he can be awful mean that one.