PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Washington

Rain
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I have never owned an automatic pistol, much less a Kahr. But with the current state of federal politics, I'm in the market before anything more lethal than spit wads are deemed unnecessary and therefore declared illegal.

I have always owned revolvers, rifles and shotguns. But recently I've been researching automatic pistols and am very impressed with what I have been reading on the Kahrs. Others I am considering include: Beretta, Boberg, Ruger and Kimber.

I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about the Kahr products from enthusiasts.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I have never owned an automatic pistol, much less a Kahr. But with the current state of federal politics, I'm in the market before anything more lethal than spit wads are deemed unnecessary and therefore declared illegal.

I have always owned revolvers, rifles and shotguns. But recently I've been researching automatic pistols and am very impressed with what I have been reading on the Kahrs. Others I am considering include: Beretta, Boberg, Ruger and Kimber.

I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about the Kahr products from enthusiasts.

Welcome, you came to the right place.

Lesson # 1. It's SEMI automatic, one round, one trigger pull versus trigger pull and it shoots till it's empty.

That's a particularly sore subject recently.

Lots of smart guys here to help anyway they can and I try to do what I can on the simple questions.

Booker T
12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome Rain. Before I bought my first Kahr 6 or so months ago, I did a lot of research and comparison as well. That is only wise. You will find that there are negative experiences by people with any firearm, bar none. I can only tell you that my Kahr has been great and I carry it daily. For what it was designed for, which is a light, concealable, dependable, good shooter at a great price; mine has delivered all those. Do your homework and do the recommended pre-range prep on whichever firearm you choose and your experience should go well. My CM9 experience has gone so well. that I recently purchased a CW45, which I have just finished prepping and am awaiting it"s first range trip. Good luck ... peace. Bk T

Geobob
12-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello, Rain, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here! Blessed Christmas Day to you and yours!

I much prefer SEMI-automatic handguns over revolvers - they hold more rounds and are more readily conealable. I think they have proven reliability. Definitely do your research as others have said and see what meets your criteria. You will prove your choice by field testing it firing some hundreds of rounds of different SD ammo through it before you CC. I have a Karh K9 for one CCW. Kahr has a great reputation and I found very little negative comments on posts regarding the K9. As a revolver guy, you will probably appreciate the double action trigger of the Kahr K9 if you look at those. I also have a Taurus 709 Slim for CCW, which I like very much. You will see a lot of negative remarks on, as well as many positive ones. Firing different SD ammo in my 709 has proven its reilabity to me, and I have no problem using it for CC. I also looked at Kimbers, but for the very high cost I was surprised by the number of negative experiences by a number of folks beyond just the extensive break in period that Kimber's require (during the break-in many problems/headaches appear common).

Good luck in your selection choice!

Rain
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Well, I did it! I found a Kahr pistol at the local gun shop; not easy to do these days. I would have probably gone for an MK40 Elite, but decided I had better take what I could find, so I'll be picking up my CW9 next week. I'll keep on the lookout for another Kahr.

I ordered a Crossbreed MiniTuck™. Really looking forward to going to the range. Hope my old S&W 13-4 doesn't get too jealous!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Flincher
01-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Welcome from balmy North Dakota

stickbow9
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Welcome Rain from Monroe, Washington. What gun store is "local" for you?

Rain
02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Anacortes Gun Shop is the closest I know of. Skagit Arms is in Burlington. Both are right on the way to work for me.

Kesselring's is a little north of Burlington, but I don't get that "warm and fuzzy" feeling I like to get with shops with which I do a lot of business from them.

What is local for you?

Bawanna
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I do a lot of dept business with Kesselrings. Its changed in the last several years. Kids taken over so not like it used to be. I know a couple of them so that helps. They do have everything.

I've heard Skagit Arms is pretty nice but haven't been there yet.

Both are kind of a drive from Monroe.

Booker T
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Congrats on that CW9! Good choice.

Rain
02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Really enjoying the forum! Great info here. Seems like great folks too!

I have a question. I've been reading about the slide lock pin being difficult to remove. The first couple of times I removed it from my new CW9 I pushed it out with my pocket knife handle, but now I just push it out with my thumb. Does that mean it is too loose?

JFootin
02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Rain,

No. That is normal. It is just getting broken in. Be thankful. Some never seem to loosen up. Don't worry about it getting too loose. It is not the tightness of the fit that keeps it in; it is the end of the slide lock spring fitted into a groove on the pin that holds it in.

wyntrout
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
I think that I already sent you my "helpful" list of stuff, but make sure you watch the take down video with emphasis on spring orientation and the insertion of the slide lock pin. Many "malfunctions" come from the improper insertion of this important pin. I's "featured' at 4:30 in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)

Wynn:)

Geobob
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Hello, Rain, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here!

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!