PDA

View Full Version : Bench Primer loader

OldLincoln
12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a Lee hand primer which works well but I can hardly squeeze anymore with the rigor mortis in my thumbs. Is there a favorite lever type primer tool you like?

I have the RCBS old style single that is an option but it seems awkward to use. Well I haven't actually "used" it but have gone through the motions.

MW surveyor
12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
OL - I usually prime on the press using the Lee Safety Primer set up. If you have a Lee press, you should look into this.

Also have the Lee hand primer. Know what you mean about having rigor mortis thumb after a while.

I sometimes turn the unit around putting the barrel in the palm of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. Then use all four fingers to set the primer. Works for me.

Bawanna
12-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I cross my thumbs so I can use both hands. I don't know of a decent bench primer, probably is one, I just never really looked.

BucketBack
12-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I just bought a Lee hand primer, I have the safety primer on the press also.

IDK how the hand priming will work when Arthur comes to visit.

muggsy
12-29-2012, 01:03 PM
RCBS makes a bench mount priming tool, but it isn't cheap. Here's a used tool that I found on ebay with a starting bid of $50.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-APS-Bench-Mounted-Priming-Tool-/150969706105

jocko
12-29-2012, 01:05 PM
ballpean and size 6 flat punch should work OK I would think. Just sayin.

poor people have poor ways

Make sure the punch is flat. !!!!

mr surveyor
12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm still using the Lee hand primer but it is getting a bit "loose" after several thousand rounds of revolver brass. I have the Lee Safety Primer for the press, but never used it...yet. All this talk about "Arthur" making the hand primer a pita makes me wonder about handling a single primer at a time to get them properly positioned in the Safety Primer.... or for that matter even picking them up in the first place.

I am considering setting up the Safety Primer tools and giving them a try (for the first time) with the .30/30 Win in a couple of weeks when my Sierra bullets and H4895 come in with a big "bulk order". But, I will most likely end up replacing the Lee Hand Primer with another...or another brand of hand priming tool.

and.... for what it's worth... CHECK YOUR "PICK-UP" .45 ACP BRASS CLOSELY! For some reason, you just can't force standard large pistol primers into the sillyassed small primer pockets that a few of the manufacturers decided to start using in their newest offerings. And, yes, I've been aware of it for several months and usually hit all "range brass" with a pocket cleaner tool before I ever put it into my reload brass stash. After squeezing a couple hundred range pickups in the resize/deprime die, I dropped them all in the ultrasonic cleaner and none of the primer pockets were grunged....just 3 of them were small pockets. Just another tip.... they still don't make a priming tool that can seat the right primer for every type of brass you stick in the shell holder:eek:

Bawanna
12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been loading nothing but the small primer 45 stuff for quite awhile, mostly because that's the brass I can get my hands on.

It works very well, but it is a pain in that you have to look at every one. At least when I goof the little primer just doesn't feel right and I know I got a large primer case by mistake.

MW surveyor
12-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey, part of the fun is separating your 45 brass into large and small primer then find out that your separation missed one or two when you're priming.

FWIW - the small primer ones work just as good as the larger primer ones.

mr surveyor
12-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I just recently started reloading .45 acp and had a rather large stash of once fired brass set back. I just happened to pick up a bunch of range brass in the last month or so and knowing the possibility of running across the "new and improved" version, would hit them all with the large primer pocket tool to sort them out. Last batch I failed to adequately police them with the primer pocket tool.... won't make that mistake again.

So far, I haven't run across enough small primer pockets to even make it worth keeping them..... yet.

rago
12-30-2012, 06:32 AM
single stage loader, i can prime bell the mouth of the shell and load powder in one step it just seems easier to me then to hand prime all the casing first, then move onto the next step

OldLincoln
12-30-2012, 12:18 PM
ballpean and size 6 flat punch should work OK I would think. Just sayin.

poor people have poor ways

Make sure the punch is flat. !!!!

Yeah, double check that center punch is still in the drawer!!!! Also don't bend over the primer when seating (goes for the hand primer tool also!).

OldLincoln
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
single stage loader, i can prime bell the mouth of the shell and load powder in one step it just seems easier to me then to hand prime all the casing first, then move onto the next step

Mine is a Rock Chucker single and the priming step is to raise the ram until the primer arm fits into the slot, then lower the ram to seat the primer, then raise the ram to release the arm, then lower the ram. In all, it seems awkward to me when I try it. If this is like yours, do you ever get used to the action?

I've been debating getting a feed tube for mine but only if others find it is worth using.