PDA

View Full Version : Used T9 found

htbkahrshooter
12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
So I found a used T9 at my LGS. Have it on hold and letting it spend Christmas on hold until I get it out. Could not pass up the purchase. My questions are, what should I do first and I'm wondering how old it is? I think the serial # ends in 0553? Should I take it all apart and give it a good deep cleaning? Any chance I will be able to chamber a round with the Sling Shot method? And what ammo will it like? I have a P9 and love it. I hope the T9 will carry about as well.

ripley16
12-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Field strip it, clean it, lube it, then shoot it. Because it has an unknown round count you may want to order a few recoil springs and replace the one it came with... out of principle.

All of my Kahrs operate just fine using an aggressive slingshot, including the T9.

Hard to tell how old it is exactly. That seems to be in about the middle of the production run so I'd guess around 2003-04. Kahr could tell you if you email them.

They often come with non-standard Kahr sights. Do you know what sights are on yours?

Enjoy your new Kahr when you get it. These are nice guns.

FLBri
12-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Correct, allot of T's come with Novak Night Sites, and they are good. If it's in good condition, I wouldn't worry about the round count ... you can't shoot these out. And ... because of the length of the slide/barrel, the angle into the chamber is less aggressive on these than aAll 3 of my T's will chamber fine with a slingshot , as well.

wyntrout
12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
A proper "slingshot" rack should always work. Riding the slide at all can reduce the forward momentum and result in the slide not going fully into battery. This will vary with the pistol and the break-in it received... and the lubrication.:)

I use the weak hand with the fingers over the slide and the thumb along the serrations to rack the slide, simultaneously pushing briskly with the gun hand and letting the the slide cleanly go as it reaches the rearmost point of travel... kind of plucked from the overhand grip.

Welcome to the forum!

And, Merry Christmas!

Wynn:)

Geobob
12-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello, HTB, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here! Blessed Christmas Day to you and yours!

You may also get more responses by re-posting your gun-specific questions on the subforum for it's group.

htbkahrshooter
12-28-2012, 06:53 PM
thanks for all of the input. It has Novak night sights. When you say Recoil springs would you recommend that I replace all springs? Midway has some close outs on a lot of T 9 parts. Also, people are always talking about grease and not oil. I usually spray my guns down with Gun Scrubber, then let the parts sit. I hit all parts with Rem Oil except the inside of the barrel. I use Hopps # 9 in the barrel and a product called Break Free cleaner lube on the outside of the barrel and any contact points. What grease should I use and does this sound about right? All my other Kahrs are doing great.

Bawanna
12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
oil, grease no matter really as long as you get and keep it lubed. Grease stays put much better but if you clean and lube frequently oil works fine.

I use TW25 or any light not real thick grease and usually just do the frame and slide rails. A dab on the barrel hood and any wear spots.

htbkahrshooter
12-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks. I will give the tw25 a try

ripley16
12-29-2012, 04:58 AM
would you recommend that I replace all springs?

I meant only the recoil spring. Kahr recoil springs are cheap and, according to Kahr, should be replaced after a few thousand rounds or less. Because you have no idea how "used" the gun gun is, a new spring would bring it back to peak performance.

Your cleaning and lube regimin seems sound and complete to me. I also use TW25b, mainly beause it stays put and doesn't evaporate as fast as most oils. It's good stuff. A little daub'll do ya.

Gratuitous photo of my T9 in my favorite holster.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/5-18017.jpg

htbkahrshooter
12-29-2012, 06:54 AM
thank Ripley. Nice Gun. I will try the new lube. Ur toy looks good in it's holster. HTB

Flincher
12-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome from North Dakota

htbkahrshooter
01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Got my T9 last night. Fits all my P9 stuff. Looks great and was born in 2003. Disappears on my side. Can't wait to shoot it. Already cleaned it up.

FLBri
01-26-2013, 06:15 AM
I expect it will soon be your favorite sidearm. I think Kahr should produce more Ts ... including a T45. But for now, I love the 9 and 40.

JFootin
01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Used T9 found

Oh, that's mine. I lost it. PM me and I'll give you my FFL's address to sent it to. :rolleyes:

htbkahrshooter
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Never thought it would be this nice. It's big 4 inch barrel but it hides very well. I thought it might be heavy but it's nice to know its there. It very well may be my favorite.

Oh! And no it's not yours :)

phil413tx
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Have you shot it yet? I would love to hear a report! Those T9s sure are good looking guns.

htbkahrshooter
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
So I took the T9 out this weekend. No problems at all During target changes the range masters had to touch it as they did a safety check. Slingshot works great. The guys inside loved it as well. It sure sticks out along with the other pistols. The trigger seems a little sharp. May need some work.
Has anyone ever replaced the grip screws with Torx head or something. I think replacing the slotted would look great. Ideas???