PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not a 1911?

Phillip
12-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I own a Sig C3 and a Colt Defender and three Kahr's(P9, PM9, P380). I decided today I was going to learn how the shoot and carry the C3 so I started practicing with my Browning Buck Mark drawing, disengaging the safety and firing two rounds as fast as I could. It wasn't a pretty sight. Something about that safety throws everything off so I'm back to carrying my trusty Kahr's for now.
At 54 years of age, can a dog learn new tricks or should I stay with the simplicity of not having a safety?
:confused:

MW surveyor
12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Ah, wouldn't it be better to practice with what you are going to use/carry?

Bongo Boy
12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
All pros and cons of the 1911 aside, you can't let a single practice session determine the outcome. The safety would soon become so natural you would wonder why it was ever an issue. My recommendation would be a Kydex, IDPA compliant style holster for the Sig, and practice presenting--just draw and present the weapon, don't worry about shooting it and don't worry about the clock.

Yes, you can learn new stuff, and you'd better make yourself learn new stuff because it's fun and it's good for your brain. I'm 58 and learning the K40 is no two-week exercise. I've fired nearly 1,000 rds in it and haven't even gotten to know it yet--at least not for the purposes of CCW and personal defense.

For learning the C3, you have not only the safety but the weight, balance, grip and holster that are all changes your muscles have to learn to deal with. Imagine just before a match handing a top tennis professional a racket they'd not played before, or a top ranked golfer a new putter. What a predictable disaster.

Just remember the One Thing that remains constant regardless of platform, caliber, recoil or speed: while maintaining the sight picture sufficient to meet the need, press the trigger.

My Number One recommendation is to practice with the C3 empty, and develop the procedure slowly--actually starting in slow motion but completing the entire process from casual stance, to address, to draw and present. Stop, repeat. Relaxed but focused. Do everything BUT press the trigger. Do that 100 times each day or every other day in the comfort of your basement, etc., with no ammo to be found anywhere. Then add in a trigger press, focusing on target acquisition and proper trigger.

After about 500 or 1,000 of these I'd expect you won't know that safety is there.

And yes: if you want to learn to shoot the Buck Mark, then practice with the Buck Mark. But, if you want to learn to shoot the C3, practice with the C3. Some proficiencies transfer easily across platforms, but proficiency in use of your Sig C3 will come only from getting to know your Sig C3, IMO.

Barth
12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
I own a Sig C3 and a Colt Defender and three Kahr's(P9, PM9, P380). I decided today I was going to learn how the shoot and carry the C3 so I started practicing with my Browning Buck Mark drawing, disengaging the safety and firing two rounds as fast as I could. It wasn't a pretty sight. Something about that safety throws everything off so I'm back to carrying my trusty Kahr's for now.
At 54 years of age, can a dog learn new tricks or should I stay with the simplicity of not having a safety?
:confused:

You can definitely learn new tricks.
But 1911 carry proficiency is nothing to be taken lightly.
I've got 13 handguns and none have external safeties - by choice.
I like the simplicity of KISS; with draw, aim, squeeze for self defense.

My carry .45 ACP is a HK45C Light LEM (DAO).

Bawanna
12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I use the thumb safety as a thumb rest. It just seems natural to thumb it down. With my Kahr I probably subconsciously thumb the safety off that isn't there.

I shoot both every range session which sadly has been a very long time ago but the near future is looking pretty good.

Bongo Boy
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I should mention a similar task: releasing the retention device on a holster. So, while my M&P 45 has no thumb safety, the IDPA holster I use has a thumb released retention device. After just 100 practice draws, it's released without thought and with no measurable difference in time to first shot.

kerby9mm
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know how any gun nut can live without a 1911. I can't !

Phillip
12-28-2012, 06:06 PM
The holster I'm using is a Glaco concealed Carry which fits the C3 and my Browning buck mark. Guess I need to practice with both guns and improve my sight picture which is becoming a little more cloudy each year. With one eye closed and slow fire I can shoot pretty respectable groups at 15-20 yards. I've never been able to afford formal training so I'm training on my own but still willing to learn.
Thanks to all for your help.
Phil

jocko
12-28-2012, 06:36 PM

I can:D

Bawanna
12-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Why would anyone but Jocko want to live without a 1911.

And it's become my life's goal to convert Ol Jocko to fat heavy bullets too.

Not saying I'm holding my breath or anything but sooner or later one has to realize you can be a mesquito or you can be a bumble bee. Just sayin.

jocko
12-28-2012, 07:17 PM
well ur right abut one thing,,,,FAT HEAVY BULLETS: Just sayin. Only gun on the market where even the spare magazine PRINTS

Two things u will never see and I need not repeat myself.Just sayin

CJB
12-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I dont think youll. Ever be as quick with a 1911 as with a Kahr. Its the nature of the beast.