PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious....

downtownv
12-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Just Curious....
Who are some of the folks at where you shoot (range) Did you ever talk to a fellow shooting enthusiast?
I have met Doctors, Nurses and school teachers within the past week at my shooting range. I ask why they are here as it seems to contradict their M.O.
ALL Had the SAME answer:
Afraid the Police couldn't be there on time..... if the Poop hits the Rotary Oscillator. As well as, the times are too ripe for civil unrest and that they didn't want to be in a position of NON defense.
None of them have Carry Permits as NJ simply doesn't grant them (Except to Judges and Politicians) But they all do... since a criminal doesn't care about the laws.
So Who/What have you met at the range?

MW surveyor
12-30-2012, 06:32 AM
I most always talk to people at the shooting range.
Comes with being a geezer.
Some days we got nottin else to do.

melissa5
12-30-2012, 07:10 AM
There is an interesting group of people that come to my range just to sit and talk. One of them is a former Spec Ops guy that was in Afghanistan. He's really cool. Then another is the daughter of the guy that owns Armalite. She's really cool too. What I like the best though is when a lady comes in with a man and she waits in the lobby while he shoots. I will go over and ask them if they shoot and encourage them to try it if they haven't. Also, I talk to a lot of people about Appleseed.

Barth
12-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Sometimes I disappoint myself.
I'm not real social and usually don't hang out and talk to anybody.
I'm all business when I go to the range.
Always go when the range is nearly empty and I'm in and out.

I know the gunsmith and will stop and talk.
Some of the employees know me and we will look at,
and talk about, what I'm shooting that day.

But I never really talk to other shooters.
For me, shooting isn't a social thing.

melissa5
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Well, I go to the range to learn just about as much as I go to shoot. :)

Tinman507
12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I go to the range to meet women
http://pissedofftreerat.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/chicksthongsguns.jpg

yqtszhj
12-30-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm gonna start shooting where Tinman goes. LOL

Bawanna
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Being audio challenged I generally stick to myself but I almost always end up helping someone if they look new, or are having a problem.
I do just like Melissa, I see guys shooting with the woman standing around behind them, shooting just a little or none at all.

I always invite them over, break out a 22 and have them shooting. Kids quite often too after I convince the parent that its really ok and I'll watch em really close.

I'm by far no expert but if I see someone with a blatantly bad grip or something I'll politely ask if they are ok with some constructive criticism and I'm proud that on several occasions it brought forth immediate improvement.

But like Tinman I usually go to pick up chicks.

JustinN
12-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Kind of depends where I am. Most of the time I am on a mission to show up, fire x number of rounds, function test something, etc. One of the nearby ranges is an un-staffed conservation range. You get some very odd people there, with some very odd things at times. I have said stuff before if someone is being unsafe, or occasionally lended some help with some people that obviously didn't know much about their gun. I've been made nervous by some people that were just a little too interested in what I had with me (I've had trips where we carried over 4 or 5 rifles and several handguns). I don't mind some mild curiosity but when you're there with a really cheap pistol, sagging pants, and seem like you're trying to get an inventory of what I have, I get a little less friendly about it.

I have ran into some cool people and ended up talking to them, but I think usually made the first move, unless they're actually shooting something I've been thinking of buying, or just peaks my interest (like the guy with the .50 BMG one day).

Mountain Biking on the other hand we always talk to other people, ride each others' bikes, etc....just a different environment....

jocko
12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Being audio challenged I generally stick to myself but I almost always end up helping someone if they look new, or are having a problem.
I do just like Melissa, I see guys shooting with the woman standing around behind them, shooting just a little or none at all.

I always invite them over, break out a 22 and have them shooting. Kids quite often too after I convince the parent that its really ok and I'll watch em really close.

I'm by far no expert but if I see someone with a blatantly bad grip or something I'll politely ask if they are ok with some constructive criticism and I'm proud that on several occasions it brought forth immediate improvement.

But like Tinman I usually go to pick up chicks.

u have never asked ol jocko if u can give him some constructive criticism???? U just give it anyways. Just sayin:third:

melissa5
12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Butt floss...looks uncomfortable.

Popeye
12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I usually end up in some sort of conversation with someone. I normally go to the range in the morning on a weekday, so most guys there are retired like I am and about the same age. It's not hard to find something to have a conversation and a few laughs over.

ripley16
12-30-2012, 11:49 AM
So Who/What have you met at the range?

I love to chit-chat and play show and tell at the range. I meet a variety, but because I'm just below Quantico, I mostly come across LE or military. Quantico attracts huge numbers of out of towner LEOs for training at the FBI Academy. The military is mostly Marines, but there all branches are represented here. Homeland Security has a large presence here too. I've even met Secret Service here.

FNH has an office in Fredericksburg, and they pop in from time to time with guns to see and ogle. They have their own range nearby but still stop in to mingle with the commoners. They are very friendly... good people.

I see lots of family groups too. Dads with kids, teaching them to shoot, just as I did with mine. I'm more than eager to let some youngster try my guns.

The only person I don't see there is my wife. She has nothing to do with guns. At least she goes with me to a gun show once in a while.

Barth
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna start shooting where Tinman goes. LOL

I think he shoots at PhotoShop.

AJBert
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I've only met a couple of folks where I shoot, my neighbors. I shoot in the side yard so not too many folks come around.

I did let my neighbor's son and son's friend put a few rounds through the Tommy. They didn't have a clue what it was but thought it was about the coolest firearm they had ever seen, let alone shot.

Pyranha
12-30-2012, 09:31 PM
I've met people from pretty much all walks of life. A number of the nicer indoor ranges that I used to frequent were even set up with decent lounges, really encouraged a lot of interaction. There frequently was a number of veterans and retirees just hanging out like it was a VFW hall.

Where we're at now, most of the ranges seem to be DIY contraptions that didn't reference lighting or ventilation standards. Hell, ones built in the basement of a gas station of all things. My wife used to enjoy shooting but won't even go now. It's certainly not like meeting at the trailhead at those places!

Bawanna
12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Butt floss...looks uncomfortable.

You just kill me sometimes darlin. It's not that bad when you get used to it, uh I mean if a person was gonna try it ya know.

muggsy
12-31-2012, 06:47 AM

Hey! That looks just like my wife! (Ought to look.) :)

muggsy
12-31-2012, 06:55 AM
I don't too often talk to other shooters on the line, but I've struck up some interesting conversations after a shoot. Met a lot of nice people and a few real wackos. I'm seem to gravitate toward the wackos. For the most part it's been a great experience except for the few times that the elbow next to me was shooting holes in my target. I like helping the younger crowd. I've finally reached the age where the younger crowd is in the majority. God bless 'em.

Planedude
12-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Shooting for me has always been a social event. I have introduced a number of young folks to the fun of shooting. I especially have broke out the .22s for kids.
I'm not sure you can shoot Trap and Skeet without talking at length with your fellow shooters.;)
The people at the range (especially in the club setting) is what makes it a great day shooting.:D
This is the thing the Anti's will never get and never belive. I feel it is the cornerstone of our strength as supporters of the 2A as 99.5% of everyone we meet while shooting are great folks. Takes the wind out of an "anti-blowhard's" sails every time.

Meet and great when you can, it helps the cause.

knkali
12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Sometimes I disappoint myself.
I'm not real social and usually don't hang out and talk to anybody.
I'm all business when I go to the range.
Always go when the range is nearly empty and I'm in and out.

But I never really talk to other shooters.
For me, shooting isn't a social thing.

F'n A me too

Jeremiah/Az
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
We have a very large outdoor gun club with people from all walks of life. The club house is a nice place to socialize after we or they are done shootin'. There are a few oddballs, but most shooters, I find to be really nice friendly people.

There has been a real influx of new shooters lately. They must watch a video on gun safety before they can shoot. We older guys get quite a few questions from newbies & are always willin' to help them.

jocko
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
quote: For me, shooting isn't a social thing

It is if he is shootin at u!! Just sayin.

QuercusMax
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
On the rare occasion that I shoot at a range, I never talk to any of the other shooters except if I meet my buddy there. Like others here, I am concentrating on my business and they are concentrating on theirs.

I have noticed that some other people do socialize, but they are people who already know each other.

On the odd occasion, someone has asked me about one of my guns.

But mostly I talk to the RSO, who is a very interesting, old crusty type. He is fascinated with my FNH Five-seveN (the pistol that uses "rifle bullets"), and he has given me a lot of good pointers on my shooting.

LorenzoB
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
I found this today...

http://tacticalgear.com/Data/Default/Marketing/TacticalGear/ShootingRange/infographic-full.jpg

les strat
12-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Higher IQ at the range than Wal Mart, that's for sure.