PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: First time out with K9 Elite '03

NoBite
12-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Yesterday was chilly, 30 degrees and windy. The spitting snow finally stopped and we headed to the back yard range with two IDPA targets set up at 7 yards. After following the prep procedures and the lube chart, I was ready to see what this gun feels like. My wife had her brand new M&P Shield. Both of us were excited to put lead down range.

For single stack mags, these puppies are stiff to load! Reminding myself to use the slide release, I chambered the first round and it felt solid, good. My first magazine went into a tight, small group center mass. My wife had a similar first experience with her Shield. 45 rounds later and my fingers were numb from the weather. But, my group could still be covered easily by a fist. Head shots? Simple. I was concerned that all I had on hand was 115gr ammo. No need for concern. No hiccups.

Here's the most interesting finding in my mind. I have worsening eyesight. Trifocals don't help and traditional three-dot sights are not my favorite. I wondered about the Kahr stock sights. I have Heine straight-8's on another pistol and am about to replace them with XS big dots. Just holding the Kahr, I wasn't so sure I could find the sights. But, actually shooting them was surprisingly good. I found myself concentrating on the front white dot and letting it sit on the blurred rear white stripe (a box, really). That was more than good enough for accurate shooting, at this distance. I got to wondering about that. So, I rested the pistol and took a picture of the sights aligned as I used them, using the dot and box. Then, I enlarged the picture to actually see the post in notch view, something my eyes just can't see when I hold the pistol. By golly, they line up very well. Nicely thought out, Kahr!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k286/NoBite/sights_zpsbd4f0f03.jpg

The K9 pointed extremely well for me. I was afraid I might have a problem with the trigger pull. Instead, I like it, a lot! It just absorbs recoil. I look forward to more shooting. Heck, I even like cleaning this pistol. I had researched this gun for so long and had it on my wish list for years. Worth the wait? Oh, yeah.

jocko
12-30-2012, 01:23 PM
nice report. The K9 is kahrs flagship semi, has been since the git go.. My used NYPD mag na ported K9 shoots like a dream. Certinly one of the nicest looking all steel 9';s out there IMO. Certainly prettier than some of those butt ugly 1911's that Bawanna swears by.:third:

Redstate
12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
It is always very nice when the gun on your wish list meets your expectations. Congratulations and continue to enjoy.

Bongo Boy
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Congratulations on a fine pistol and a good day at the range. No surprise here, though. Yes, I've got the eyesight issue too, sadly, but fortunately Kahr did good when it got night sights from Trijicon, too--they're your full-size sights that just seem to work.

I think you did far better first time out than I did--it's only going to improve from there!

phil413tx
12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I just got my K9 about 2 weeks ago and I love it too! It had been on my wish list for over a year. I grinned from ear to ear the first time I took it to the range. It is a fantastic little gun.

7shot
01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Congrats on your new K9. I've had mine now for nearly a year, best small pistol I've ever owned.