PDA

View Full Version : S&W Bodyguard 38 Input

Harleyrider
12-31-2012, 12:21 PM
My wife's daddy was a Philly cop, so she grew up using and loving S&W snubbies. She is getting her CCW permit, and we are looking at the S&W Bodyguard 38 as a better candidate for CC than her all-steel versions. Does anyone have any experience with and comments on these? TIA.

Bobby
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I have about 40k rounds down range with 38's. about 5k with a bodyguard. You will not go wrong with it......

Great snubbie!

Bobby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jocko
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I used to have a titanium bodyfguard model 342. It came from Smiths performance shop. Weighed nuttin. I had CT grips on it and that sucker at `15 yards would group 4" easily. I love that gun, but like an ass I sold it. Itwas a pre lock and it went fast. I love Smith bodygurards. I think they are great for a woman to. nuttin to go wrong, she can load and unload it woith ease, no jams to worry about, kids around the home she can again unload with ease and certainty. Especially if she knows gun,s then she knos rhe basics. A woman has to feel comfortable with her ccw peace or she willnot carry it. IMO buy her a wheelgun ...

Guarantee u if she has to fire thegun, whether she hits whgat she is aming at or not the BG isnot ready to swcrew with an armed lady. the report of the gun itself will send him running, or maybe even die-in. Either way is good....

Flincher
12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Any of the S&W Airweight snubbies are great. I have thousands of rounds through a 642 and 637. They just can't be beat. And get her gun a good action job.

7shot
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
i bought one when it first came out. it was ok. when you shot +P's it had a good kick and you would come away with sore hands. i remember having at least one malfunction when the cylinder did not rotate after a shot. traded it for a Ruger LC9, then got rid of that for my k9.

Barth
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I've got a pre-lock 11.1 oz 342 ti that's a dream to carry and hits POA.
It's not fun to shoot though, at least not for me.
IMHO - air weights are made to be carried a lot and shot a little.
It's been my BUG for many years.

But concealed carry is really meant to be comforting, not comfortable.
I've switched to an all steel S&W 640-1 357.
The trick for me is using a high quality gun belt to hold my pants up.

For me, Air Weight or all steel,
nothing carries and draws from a pocket like a J-Frame.

The value of a weapon that requires little maintenance,
will feed any ammo and fires with the simplest of operation can not be discounted.

jocko
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I had my 342 ported. It helped alot but like u said a 11 ounce wheel gun so so small and with a hot 38spl, just not way to tame the beast down, but again IMO this is not a plinker or a range gun Oh yes thegun can take it, just most shooters cannot. But IMO one of the best ccw guns out there, other than my PMJ9.

I think aboutha that 342 alot, especially when I read ur posts all thetime about ur 342. Is urs a pre lock version also??? Suck a nice gun IMO...

Barth
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Is urs a pre lock version also???

Yup, Yup.
Also added;
1) Real stainless steel trigger that a gunsmith rounded and polished
into a double action combat trigger.
2) Professional trigger job.
3) XS Big Dot front sight.

Unlike you, I will not sell this pistol - Ever.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo49/3b/99/16feab53e974__1342738813000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=falsehttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo44/d2/67/636b2cdfe86b__1342737868000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

jocko
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
I kinda wish u would stop posting that crap. kinda turns my stomach, if u get my drift. Ihad a complete action job done on mine also but the smitty when he did the work and when I went to get it, He ask me, has anyone been inside this gun???I said no I was a dealer and it wa sin my shw case and when I reetired and sold the business that gun came with me. His comment was well somone has bene in that gun fir it was smooter than any smith he had ever seen. He basically did nuttin to it. He swears though someone was inside that gun, so I am guessin it was done at Smith and Wesson...

kerby9mm
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
I just got my m&p 340 4 weeks ago. It was made in October of 2012 and it has no lock. There were 3 to choose from and it was the only no lock. No fun with 357's but fine with 38's. I drive for a living so I got a left hand holster for easier access. I'm ambedexterous with handguns so the left side carry made sense for me.

Planedude
12-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I have tried the Bodyguard and the Ruger LCR. As both have about the same the same price point I feel the edge goes to the S&W as the trigger just worked better for me. I was not impressed with the laser do-hicky it was wearing enough to make it the game changer. Another of our shooters that day was newby, was not impressed by names at all and she really liked the Ruger better. Have the Wife try them both. I only shot the 130grn ball Winchester white box thru the pair so recoil was pretty equel across the test.
I'm looking for the right deal on a Model 36 Airweight for my next project gun. You just have to have a good snubby in your life... and keep inside your waistband.:rolleyes:

addictedhealer
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
The body guard is so ugly, the cylinder release is horrible and the laser is useless.

I wouldn't buy the body guard but would any other s&w revolver.

Lcr feels better and looks better. Grip is a little grippy but that is a easy change.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/02/taguqepy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/02/2esuvu4a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/02/mudada3u.jpg

White paint done by me.

Barth
01-02-2013, 05:40 AM
I just got my m&p 340 4 weeks ago. It was made in October of 2012 and it has no lock. There were 3 to choose from and it was the only no lock. No fun with 357's but fine with 38's. I drive for a living so I got a left hand holster for easier access. I'm ambedexterous with handguns so the left side carry made sense for me.

Have actually adopted cross draw belt carry.
Can easily and comfortably conceal and carry my HK45C that way.
But the real advantage is easy access to the firearm while driving.

340pd
01-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Have her pick the snubbie she feels best with. Recoil will be commensurate with the weight of the firearm but you can mitigate the felt recoil by training with wadcutters, which by the way, will work great for self defense. I keep a 340pd in a PJ.'s holster as a backup in my car. Love that gun.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/340pd.jpg

JFootin
01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
I would strongly recommend getting an Airweight instead, or even an all steel gun if she is going to carry it in her purse. The extra weight will really help and she will be comforted in knowing she is carrying the same gun that generations of detectives have carried. If it's good enough for Lenny Briscoe... And find a smith who can lighten that trigger while retaining positive primer strikes.

If she wants to carry in her purse, get one of those gun purses that keeps the gun separate from the junk.