PDA

View Full Version : Sellior and Bellot Primers

mr surveyor
01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I've shot a good bit of Sellior and Bellot factory ammo over the years, but have not yet seen or used their primers as reloading components. A couple of weeks ago my gun shop buddy informed a few of us at a cook out that he was getting together a "group buy", as well as a store stocking buy, for reloading components and told us to all work up a list. The plan was that he would place the orders on Jan 2 or 3. I took a list for myself and a couple other guys to him Saturday and mentioned the horror stories found on all the gun forums about the current inavailability of primers on the shelves nation wide. I suppose he got concerned and spent some time web-site hopping that night, and checking with the various distributors he has accounts with. He called me Sunday afternoon and said the first three distributors he checked with on primers were completely out of stock. Finally found one that had an "adequate" supply of S&B primers and said he was going to push the button for 75k, mostly large pistol. No idea what our price will be, and none of us have ever used their primers. There were no Win, Rem, Fed, CCI, Wolf or Tul available.

I hope he has better luck with our various powder requests.

Why can't these "crunches" hit during the late Spring or Summer when I have a little better funding:(

S&B primers anyone????

mr surveyor
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
so I take it that no one here has done any reloading with S&B primers?

MW surveyor
01-02-2013, 05:45 AM
so I take it that no one here has done any reloading with S&B primers?

That would be my guess.:2rolleyes:

muggsy
01-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I've only used CCI and Remington Primers. If you've used S&B ammo with success what is your concern with their primers?

mr surveyor
01-02-2013, 07:47 AM
for all I know they could be inconsistant in sizing or hardness. I don't remember having any ignition problems with S&B ammo though.

MW surveyor
01-02-2013, 08:41 AM
This is just a rumor in my mind so don't quote me on this but...............................I think I remember seeing "somewhere" that S&B did not actually make their own primers.

JustinN
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I have always have good luck with their factory ammo, but I've heard complaints of hard primers. Never experienced it myself though.

I don't reload, but I would imagine whats in their factory loaded ammo is what they sell for components....

BucketBack
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Taurus says that S&B have "Hard" primers and will cause a FTFire, Ruger says S&B have "Soft" primers and not to use them because they'll cause FTFires by the soft metal getting scraped off and clogging the firing pin channel

I got this by email and in a phone call with Customer Service from both companies.
I sent 2 Taurus PT-709's back. My Ruger LC9 didn't have any issues before I sold it, but it was a matter of time I've been told.

My CZ-85B was test-fired with S&B ammo per the supplied target shipped with the new gun.

YMMV

mr surveyor
01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I guess we'll find out soon. My gunshop buddy ordered 100k primers for our group buy and some for store stock. I've used S&B factory ammo in .32 acp, .380, 9mm, .40S&W and .45 acp in previous years and never experienced primer problems or any other problems. The S&B primers as reloading components are gonna be a whole new experience for everyone in my little circle.

At least we found a supply of primers.

muggsy
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
I'll try anything once. Send me a few thousand and I'll test them for you. :)

wyntrout
01-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I use their ammo in all calibers and have never had more than a few FTF's in many thousands of rounds of ammo. They always fired on the second try, IF I had an FTF. I've personally bought more than 7,000 rounds of .380 in the last 3 years. I have close to 2K on hand and I SOLD 2.5K, so I don't find any problems with it. I buy a lot of FMJ for the range and a lot of it is S&B... 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP as well. Their ammo is usually inexpensive and well-made.

Wynn:)

mr surveyor
01-05-2013, 07:28 PM
the sad thing for everyone in my group is that we had to spend our firearms related money on a product that "ain't from around here".

I hate the fact that profits from my purchase are leaving the country (or Texas for that matter)

wyntrout
01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Yes, but if you do get the primers... you will HAVE them... if things go to heck before your could have gotten "locally produced" stuff. You do what you have to do.

Wynn:)

mr surveyor
01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
yep:)

Bongo Boy
01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I've never heard of them at all as far as primers--but have always found their ammo to be just fine. I'm very surprised he found someone who resells them, and that was able to deliver 100k of them...that in itself is very intriguing.

I've found primers to be interesting in that, just as with the two conflicting reports above, experience seems to be all over the map with any given brand. I had an awful time with Wolf, others have said they fired "tens of thousands" of them without problems. I've also found Winchesters tough to seat in my 45ACP brass, others have had no problem. Folks have said Federals are hard, yet Federals seem to be almost the Holy Grail of primers for many competitors.

I swear by CCI and they're all I use when I have a choice--others don't like 'em. Funny!