PDA

View Full Version : Covert models?

Gangplank
01-02-2013, 12:28 AM
What makes something a "covert" model??

ripley16
01-02-2013, 04:27 AM
At one time a few years ago, Kahr cut the K frame grip down to a M grip in the 9mm and .40. Factory covert models were metal frame only. Some folks on their own have cut polymer frame models down in the same fashion. While not a true covert, it is the name used to describe the project.

jocko
01-02-2013, 05:04 AM
so then u aresaying that actually the only factroy covert models were the all steel versions. I di dnot know that. For some reasonI thought the P models cut down was a factory offering..

ripley16
01-02-2013, 05:31 AM
so then u aresaying that actually the only factroy covert models were the all steel versions

Yes. I can't recall any factory polymer coverts, to the best of my memory.

muggsy
01-02-2013, 06:37 AM
What makes something a "covert" model??

The advertising department. :)

JFootin
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
The "covert" aspect is that the shorter grip is easier to conceal.

gb6491
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
so then u aresaying that actually the only factroy covert models were the all steel versions. I di dnot know that. For some reasonI thought the P models cut down was a factory offering..

Yes. I can't recall any factory polymer coverts, to the best of my memory.
Oddly then, this older Kahr manual lists P9 and P40 Coverts, but no steel frame models: http://stevespages.com/pdf/kahr_kp.pdf
Regards,
Greg

Zippo Guy
01-02-2013, 08:39 AM
That answers that question. Why was production halted, looks like an ideal size.

ripley16
01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Does anyone own a polymer covert that wasn't done by an owner? Just saying... I've never seen one, but I have seen steel coverts.

gb6491
01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Does anyone own a polymer covert that wasn't done by an owner? Just saying... I've never seen one, but I have seen steel coverts.
I don't own one, but I've seen photos to include the factory case of a P9 Covert: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1575
Notice the "KPS" designation, I've seen that in regards to the P40 model as well:
http://www.lisc.net/p589.htm
Regards,
Greg

ripley16
01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
That nails it. Thanks for the link. Now I've seen one. :cool:

jocko
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
That answers that question. Why was production halted, looks like an ideal size.

when the introduced the PM series, they dropped the covert... I would have thoght covert sales would have come to a halt after that introduction. Just sayin

josp
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Here ia a P45 covert. Ok, the company never made one, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have made one.

Old No7
01-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Had one! A P40 Covert, dated 2002 by the Serial #, and confirmed by Kahr as being factory-made as a Covert.

I too wonder why these aren't still in the line... The extra length isn't that much harder to conceal or draw, but the slight increase in weight is worth the extra "pointability" and longer sight radius. To me, they handle so much better than the PM series.

A buddy bought my P40C, as he really wanted it, and he liked the extra "thump" that the .40 has over the 9mm...

So tomorrow, I'm getting a P9 Covert -- also factory made from 2004 (also confirmed by Kahr as an official Covert).

Old No7

ripley16
01-03-2013, 02:54 AM
I'm getting a P9 Covert...

Be sure to post pics and a report. These are rare enough that most of us have never seen much less shot one

rb2
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi,
I have a P40 Covert Polymer frame factory model. I have the original box and end sticker. I am not the original owner and a call to Kahr CS told me it is of 2001 mfg. Love it....great gun :)

Old No7
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Be sure to post pics and a report. These are rare enough that most of us have never seen much less shot one
Here you go -- pix of a "rare bird", and the factory box to prove it!

P9 Covert:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9_Covert_02_Medium_.jpg

With a modified Bianchi Pro IWB holster:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9_Covert_03_Medium_.jpg

Factory Box label:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9_Covert_box_Medium_.jpg

My P40 Covert, factory made, was from 2002. And in my earlier post, I thought this one was dated to 2004. But the little envelope in the factory box with the fired case is clearly marked "March 2006". Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing this is getting towards the end of the Covert production. (From all I've read about these before...)

I can't offer a Range Report, as I'm dealing with Rotator Cuff Tendonitis (not good...), but I showed it to my daughter's boyfriend (someday Son In Law, I think!) who bought my PM9 before I got the P40C, and he loved it. 'Course we didn't have his PM9 to compare against, but you can bet we will once I can shoot again.

I still firmly believe the Covert is what the PM series should have been. But I might be a little ("lot") biased. ;)

Tight groups to all.

Old No7

ripley16
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I can't offer a Range Report, as I'm dealing with Rotator Cuff Tendonitis (not good...),

Me too. I feel for you, as it really puts a crimp in shooting enjoyment. I've had to give up larger calibers and now shoot mostly .22 and some 9mm.

Thanks for the photos.

JFootin
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if it will help, but I used to have a lot of shoulder pain and thought I had damaged rotator cuffs, and ever since I started (a few years ago) taking fish oil and now multi omega suppliments, I have no trace of pain in my shoulders. It will take a few weeks or months, but the improvement is remarkable. What I am using and really like is Swanson MultiOmega 3-6-9. It is great for joints and also for cardiovascular health. In fact, I have read that it even helps fight depression.

Old No7
01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if it will help, but I used to have a lot of shoulder pain and thought I had damaged rotator cuffs, and ever since I started (a few years ago) taking fish oil and now multi omega suppliments, I have no trace of pain in my shoulders. It will take a few weeks or months, but the improvement is remarkable. What I am using and really like is Swanson MultiOmega 3-6-9. It is great for joints and also for cardiovascular health. In fact, I have read that it even helps fight depression.
I started on Fish Oil 1.5 years ago, after complaining to my twin about having sore wrists and hands after hard work with hand tools on weekends -- much different than desk work all week. You're right, after a few months, those aches and pains went away, and I take 2 large fish oil pills nightly now.

I've recommended Fish Oil on other shooting forums too, as if it keeps the pain away, it can help your shooting. Heck, even if it doesn't help the scores, it can lessen the pain and that makes shooting and other stuff so more enjoyable.

Tight groups -- with no pain!

Old No7

Redstate
01-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I have a factory made P9 Covert that I have had since about 2004. It is my summer pocket carry. Great little pistol. Conceals well. I think the only steel factory Covert made was a K40 Covert. If they ever make a K9 Covert, I will be jumping on that in a heartbeat. I did end up buying an MK9 (like the shorter grip), but would have bought a K9 covert, if one existed.