PDA

View Full Version : Kahr Esthetics

Erik KT
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I'll admit it, esthetics in guns might matter a bit too much to me. I guess it is true about other things too so it's just the way I am I suppose. I'm a graphic designer, so it's my job to scrutinize esthetics details all day, so that probably has something to do with it.

Anyway, I find the esthetics of the Kahr very pleasing overall, and that is why this one detail drives me a little nuts (It's not on all models but on P9 and others). That is the cut that runs on the top left edge of the slide from the front and almost all the way to the cocking serrations. The cut stats off going straight back, then takes a slight turn upward in the last third. This looks like a botched cut to me. LIke the slide came undone and shifted slimly during the cut. I don't know if this was an attempt to give a more dynamic and less boxy look, but to me it just doesn't make sense. Especially since you don't see this on on the other side due to the ejection port. So you end up with one straight line and one crocked.

Any one else feel like this?

I feel a silly bringing it up, but since this is a decorative cut, I think it is relevant to comment from a esthetic view point.

DeeDubya
01-09-2013, 10:47 AM
First off, looking at the left side, I like the angle turning up as it approaches the cocking serrations.

Then on the right the line runs out at the ejection port but "kind of" follows the same angle as it is replaced by the cut on the barrel chamber.

Never really considered all that, but yes it does certainly have more eye appeal than a Glock.

hardluk1
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I could careless how a firearm looks. Only that it serves my needs very well. Never looked to buy one because it was purty or it lines flowed nicely .Sorry

JohnR
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
My job involves aesthetics too, so I completely understand your critical eye.

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?path=P91676.jpg&h=326&w=278

It does seem a bit odd.

68blackbird
01-09-2013, 11:15 AM
I could careless how a firearm looks. Only that it serves my needs very well. Never looked to buy one because it was purty or it lines flowed nicely .Sorry

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1Lbfhs2QYehouwIncBx5XDpRJXRp_V 95WwZbNqLeIBskF2bOcKA

addictedhealer
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Buy cw or cm series. Part of the reason I opted for those. I like clean and simple. I don't want designs or big fancy etched logos.

Bawanna
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I think it's important to remember that cool is to the eye of the beholder, I screwed that up didn't I? Beauty is to the eye of the beholder, whatever.

I'm from the if it don't look cool, I don't want it school. Function and reliability are of course #1 but I truly believe that looking cool and 100% reliability are easily accomplished. Some perhaps take more effort than others and of course there are some very cool looking guns that don't work for beans too.

I guess you could say my motto is Life is too short to pack an ugly gun. But again cool or beauty is different to each of us. I think my Russian Nagant is beautiful, others would probably classify it as ugly.

getsome
01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Funny how to some people it makes no difference what a gun, car, cloths etc looks like so long as it works and to others the looks are everything....

To me how a firearm looks is very important...I think a factory perfect blued Python revolver or 1911 pistol is one of the most beautiful man made machines there have ever been...How my guns look is very important to me and it kills me when one gets a nick or scratch....

I like simple and to me the less mess on a pistol the better...Ruger decided that it's fine to have an ugly handgun with the entire owners manual written all over the gun because some lawyer thought it was a good idea as long as it shoots every time and to some folks thats all that matters...While Ruger firearms are fine shooting guns I don't own any because looks are important to me...

I think Kahr pistols are very nice looking simply because they are pure function with no add on crap you don't need to get in the way...I even like the CW style of roll mark on the barrels, it looks nice without resorting to the "Bill Board" style of script some makers use....

There are two things about a Kahr pistol that bother me and both are trivial but still I wish Kahr would change them....The first is a little stupid but I don't like the look of the K with the circle design on the polymer grip because to me it looks too much like the Circle K convenience store logo....Yea I know thats being picky but thats just me being me...

The other thing that really gets to me for some reason is the hole in the bottom of the grip frame....If someone would come up with a (excuse my language) butt plug I'd be willing to bet they would sell all they could make because I have heard others say this is an ugly point on an otherwise perfect design....

MW surveyor
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Buy cw or cm series. Part of the reason I opted for those. I like clean and simple. I don't want designs or big fancy etched logos.

Dang, ya beat me to it.

However, I do like good looking guns too.

I have also made reference to the possibility of a butt plug. I know how to make a mold but just haven't gotten around to it (yet). Too many other projects at the moment. :32:

JFootin
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Frankly, I think the custom mirror polish job looks better on the strait lines of my CM9 slide than it would on a PM9. :D

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/My%20Custom%20CM9/KahrCM9PolishedLSwMagandBullets.jpg

wyntrout
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Circle K... I covered all of my grips but the K9 and it has CT Laser Grips on it.

I don't like the SLAB-sided slides and the free-handed stampings of the "C"heap models. I've picked them up many times and just shudder a bit at how "C"heap they seem... but if that's your priority, at least they're Kahrs.:tongue:

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I know what I like, but some of you guys need glasses! I think John(JFootin) likes to look at himself in his "Shiny".:boink:

Wynn:D

wyntrout
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Woo! Hoo! Just got a call from Jay at Kahr Arms. The PM45 is okay and will start back this PM. I should get Boomer back Friday! The mags have been replaced with the more recently improved ones... since mine was last there in 2010.. They will replace any that split.

I was online ordering some more Kahr mags from Ivanhoe... 2 each all extended-grip 7-round .40 and .45 mags. They are out of a lot of mags! $29.95 each plus $5 for Priority Mail on the order!:)

I haven't seen UPS, yet. My Latest shipment of Gold Dots is coming... pulling up now!

Oh yes! The 180-grain GD Short Barrel version is like the 230-grain .45 GDSB... almost the flying ashtray! I'll have to do a photo comparison in Ammo... and a trip to the range for "flash-testing".

AND... I apologize for the "C"heap shots in the last post!:blushing:

:banplease: :behindsofa:

muggsy
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I bought my CM9 because I thought it was butt ugly. I especially like that stainless mag hanging out of the grip. Gives it that rude crude look. I want a mean nasty looking defensive pistol. I hope that Kahr doesn't change a damn thing. :)

CJB
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I think it's important to remember that cool is to the eye of the beholder, I screwed that up didn't I? Beauty is to the eye of the beholder, whatever.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mzuch/fat_lady_bikini.jpg

muggsy
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I think that its, "Gun control is in the hand of the gun holder."

wyntrout
01-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Her face seems pretty, but she's a bit too SUPER-SIZED! She would be a good candidate for Bawanna's favorite show!

Bawanna
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
You have to have a lot of respect for that stool. It has to be working at least 6 times beyond it's safe working capacity.

deputy tom
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM

How Ya doin' ? tom.:D

ETA Yeah, and I'm drinkin' cheap Scotch. tom.:p

Popeye
01-10-2013, 05:14 AM
I my case the looks and overall shape of the Kahr PM9 is what got me interested in it in the first place. It's not the only determining factor weather I buy the gun or not, but the look of it at least gets me to take a farther look at it. The stampings or lack of stampings has nothing to do with my choice what so ever. I like all black pistols and the fact that it came with night sites just made it all the better. Now I think the CM 9 as well as many other Kahrs are some great looking pistols. However I'm just not a big fan SS slides. I have a few pistols. Some like my KT P3at and Glock 26 IMO are ugly as sin, While other like the CZ75b, PO-1, 1911 and the Kahr PM9 I consider beautiful Pistols. The thing that makes them great to me is not there l looks, but after reading up on them and talking to people they all worked as advertised.:D

JFootin
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
You have to have a lot of respect for that stool. It has to be working at least 6 times beyond it's safe working capacity.

Well, it is made out of steel. A wooden one would be in 1000 splinters!

Bawanna
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Looks like if it was about an inch smaller in diameter it would be a suppository.

That would be awkward at the doctors office huh?

Tinman507
01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
There's a joke here that would likely result in my untimely banning, so I'll leave it to everyone's imagination.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Wenu2B7b4U/TsQ3GKt7zfI/AAAAAAAAEIw/rtYs-6EMqDo/s1600/Bag-of-Flour.jpg&sa=X&ei=y_3uUIG5OKLs0QHLj4GQDg&ved=0CAkQ8wc4fg&usg=AFQjCNETc-1S_3poa_yLqc1yTYtR5MtGog

MW surveyor
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
There's a joke here that would likely result in my untimely banning, so I'll leave it to everyone's imagination.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Wenu2B7b4U/TsQ3GKt7zfI/AAAAAAAAEIw/rtYs-6EMqDo/s1600/Bag-of-Flour.jpg&sa=X&ei=y_3uUIG5OKLs0QHLj4GQDg&ved=0CAkQ8wc4fg&usg=AFQjCNETc-1S_3poa_yLqc1yTYtR5MtGog

Again with the erotic/subliminal messages!

Tinman507
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
You're just as bad. You got it!

MW surveyor
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry, I had a depraved, I mean deprived upbringing! :)

downtownv
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Ugly don't matter; just ask a Glock owner......:cheer2:

downtownv
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
That's a whole lotta love!:rolleyes:

Bawanna
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
If thats the result of cheap scotch, I'm officially on the wagon until I can afford the good stuff.

I didn't get the flour sack, probably should be ashamed of myself, wait, wait I think I might have thunk of it. But how do I know?

Can't help but think there's enough cloth in that (bikini?) to cloth the entire population of Odummy's native country.