PDA

View Full Version : NC newbie w/auto slide release question

ormati
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Greetings from Western North Carolina!

My wife and I have a K9 and an MK9 and we're getting two P380s so I guess I'll be a forum regular. Here's my hopefully dumb question; When the slide on my K9 is back and I pop a loaded mag in, the slide releases and chambers the round on its own. The MK9 doesn't. I checked the manual but didn't see this mentioned as a combat reload step-saver, and frankly it's a little startling. I don't hate it unless it's indicative of a larger issue. Got it used so maybe someone got clever with it? Howdy and thanks in advance.

JustinN
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Welcome!

Sounds like the mag is catching the mag release when inserted. That is not a "normal" feature of the Kahr. Does it do it regardless of how you insert the mag, empty mag vs full mag, etc? Try some different configurations, inserting it really slowly, use and empty mag, etc.

crazymailman
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum from western NC.

wyntrout
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Some pistols do that when the magazine is slammed into the magazine well... and some people like that, but, no, it's not "normal".

You can remove the slide, re-insert the slide lock and see if the top round connects with the slide lock actuator when the loaded mag is inserted. You may have an out-of-spec slide lock. Kahr might send you another one if the top round contacts the actuator and locks the slide too easily. Or, you might be able to cautiously remove a bit of the actuator with a file or stone to see if you can stop the "automatic" slide release. You may remove too much and the slide lock may not lock the slide open on empty magazine, though.

Wynn:)

addictedhealer
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Check this. Make sure proper clearance. I have to say, since I swapped out my cw slide stop to the p9 slide stop it is much more sensitive. I can slam it and it will drop the slide.

ormati
01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the help. The slide doesn't release every time, but now that I understand it and know what to look for I'll call it a quirk not a problem. I'll take a closer look and see if it's something I can or want to adjust. Thanks for the great feedback.

JFootin
01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome from WNC! :D

Flincher
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Welcome from North Dakota

muggsy
01-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I'd pay good money if someone could make my CM9 do that. Can you say speed reload?

Geobob
01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Hello, Ormati, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Don
01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Hi nice to see other western NC folks on here. I am a new member and recently purchased a cw40 and really like it. I live near Rutherfordton NC by the way and wish you both the best with your Kahrs