PDA

View Full Version : Just some funny(?) stuff.

wyntrout
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
This seems like a better area for this than that CW thread:

Bawanna
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
This seems like a better area for this than that CW thread:

Dang, that last one sure hits me in a vulnerable spot.

wyntrout
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Yep, that probably happens, too. I know that Elvis used to get pissed off at something on TV and blow the TV away! he could afford that, though.:D
I've been working on my .45 magazines since PigButtons(?) posted that about the Detonics magazine.
I took the metal follower out of one of my old(evidently never cleaned!) S&W 645 magazines and put it into my PM45 5-shot mags and it holds 6 shots, but the slide doesn't stay back on last shot. I'm trying to see what other followers are available. I might be onto something useful here?:confused:
Those metal followers vary and some may work with the PM and keep the slide open on last shot.
I locked the slide back, inserted the 6-round(modified) mag and chambered a round and then cycled the rest through the chamber. It seemed to feed okay, but I need a follower that holds the slide open when mag is empty.
I have a project for the gun show Saturday! Maybe if I buy some more plastic snap caps and try some different magazine parts, I might hit on a working combo.
Wynn:D

wyntrout
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
I can use the Kahr PM45 mag tube, the 645 follower, and the rest of the Kahr parts and get 6+1 into the gun, untested, other than working the slide to cycle the bullets through the gun. This works best pointed in a SAFE direction with the ejection port facing down so the darn bullets will fall out.

I'm going to the gun show Saturday and I'll take my gun, some magazines disassembled and see what's available as followers to make 6-shot mags out of the Kahr 5-shot mags with just a different follower like the Detonics one there. I'll have to buy some more .45 snap caps to play with in the show, but I hope to find something that works for me. I'm not so interested in flush-fitting mags. I don't know what that would feel like, but I could try to come up with something to try. There should be lots of magazines and hopefully, parts of them to try.
It will give me something to do while I'm hawking my excess 9mm defense ammo.
Wynn:D

PigButtons
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
After looking at your various parts and pieces I may look into using the Kahr followers in the Detonics mags. They may make it easier to cycle the slide with a full mag. Who knows? Like you guys I just like working on stuff.

wyntrout
03-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but the welded bases present problems. The Kahr followers take up too much room and your capacity will suffer. There are a lot of different followers and I hope to find something similar to the Detonics, but that allows 6 rounds to be stuffed into the Kahr tube. I need to smooth and work on testing those things, too. I'm mainly interested in having one fully functioning 6-round mag because I can carry the 6-round extended grip or the 7-rounder I bought as a larger capacity spare.
It's a bit of work and maybe a little expense to try this, but it's something to do... a challenge. Anyhow, your post got me thinking and trying what I have on hand. Kahr should have done this for us, though. They could have used a simple metal follower that took up less room, as well as a different floor plate and gotten six rounds in there easy, instead of 5.
Later!
Wynn:)

It's weird, but I have 5 functioning S&W 645/45-06 magazines and there are four different base plates and lock plates! I only had one with the metal follower, though, and it was a broken one where one of the base retainer lips had broken off.