PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Florida

nuke
01-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Although I've owned rifles and shotguns for as long as I can remember, I should have my first pistol in about 1 week. I chose a CW9 as a future CCW and my wife has her eyes on a S&W .38 (tried to talk her into a Kahr...). Looking forward to gaining some great info here.

zamboni
01-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Greetings, from St. pete. You will love your new Kahr.

Flincher
01-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the forum from balmy North Dakota

nuke
01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum from balmy North Dakota

Love your avatar!

otium
01-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Welcome.

The Kahr 9s are pretty nice. Just be sure to do the prep work you read about here.

On the .38 snub for you wife. I would recommend, if at all possible, you get her to a range and have her actually try firing one before purchasing one. While they look and carry great, my wife did not care for the recoil after firing 5 rounds of 38 special through the snub.

nuke
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Thank you. I've read the Kahr instructions a few times and have printed the lube diagram here on the forum. At this point, I feel somewhat comfortable on doing the cleaning and lube before putting any rounds thru it.

As far as the .38 for my wife, she's pretty much set on the S&W 638 or 642. My feeling is, if she doesn't care for it, it becomes part of MY collection and we'll pick her up something else.

JFootin
01-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Thank you. I've read the Kahr instructions a few times and have printed the lube diagram here on the forum. At this point, I feel somewhat comfortable on doing the cleaning and lube before putting any rounds thru it.

As far as the .38 for my wife, she's pretty much set on the S&W 638 or 642. My feeling is, if she doesn't care for it, it becomes part of MY collection and we'll pick her up something else.

I have often seen J-frames recommended for a woman to carry. The utter simplicity and reliability are comforting for her, and for some of us men. :o I am most comfortable carrying my 638, though I fully trust my semis for reliable functioning. That classic design is so comfortable to handle and carry.

Now, I got a pretty radical trigger job done on my 638 because I have crippled, partially paralyzed hands and the DA trigger pull was way too strong for me. It is now 4.25 lb. I would recommend a couple of lbs heavier for normal hands. A lot of people complain that they can't hit the broad side of a barn with a J-frame, and I believe the stock 11-12 lb DA trigger pull is the major factor. With my trigger the way it is, I am very accurate with the gun at SD distances.

Knowing what I know now, I would recommend the 642 over the 638, with the trigger job. Even from the factory, the SA is a hair trigger. Absolutely not suitable in a SD situation with an adrenalin explosion happening. But get that DA trigger down to a reasonable poundage, dry fire it a lot and the 642 will do the job.

40cw
01-13-2013, 07:51 AM
i like that, thats my kinda thinking. thats exactly how i got two of my guns, hehe!

JFootin
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
i like that, thats my kinda thinking. thats exactly how i got two of my guns, hehe!

I'm not comprehending you. How did you get 2 of your guns?

addictedhealer
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Congrats! Love my Kahr.

Now onto the wife, I have a strong feeling she will have a hard time racking the slide. Kahr firearms are very tight and stiff. My ol lady can't rack the slide on my Kahr and neither can my mother. My brother and I took our mother shooting yesterday because she is getting her license. She could rack his g26 but not my Kahr.

I suggest a snub nose to most woman, not because they lack ability but finger strength. My ol lady shoots my lcr, she doesn't exactly enjoy it but it sits in her night stand. If you have the cash get a steel j frames for her, and what ever you do don't make her shoot a 357 snub nose.

otium
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Did you have any luck having them try changing up their slide racking technique?

I had my wife hold the slide with her weak hand like she was going to rack it normally, which wouldn't work for her, but instead of using the normal racking motion, I had her try pushing through the racking motion with the hand/arm that was holding on to the grip.

Found this technique worked better for my wife since Kahrs are pretty stiff and she lacked the strength to do it the way we normally do. Who knows, maybe that might work for your gals.

Geobob
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Hello, Nuke, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Since you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handgun use and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructional information from an expert, and free.

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and your wife.