PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

berge
03-25-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm glad to have joined this very informative forum and helpful group of contributors. I've learned a lot from reading a few of your posts.

I have a P380 as shown below. This is my first Kahr, which I purchased because of its small size and light weight, allowing easier concealed carry.

I originally ordered an "N' model, but it didn't come and didn't come, so I took the regular model instead. Subsequently I ordered Crimson Trace laser sights from the p380forum web site and installed them myself. I also ordered Trijicon sights from Kahr Shop, which I just had installed by my local gunsmith.

I've had several shooting sessions at my local range.

I first shot 50 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ with no problem whatsoever, cleaning the pistol after 25 and 50 rounds. I then attempted to shoot a box of 50 MFS FMJ. I worked my way through the first 9 MFS rounds with several not feeding completely, and when I was able to get them to chamber, 6 fired OK but 3 punched the primer but did not fire. I cleaned the pistol again. I then shot 6 rounds of Cor Bon JHP with no feed or firing problems. At that point I went to a 50 round box of Herters FMJ I had on hand and shot all 50 with no feed or firing problems, again cleaning the pistol after 25 and 50 rounds. As I was then out of FMJ except for more MFS, I tried to shoot those but got 3 failure to fires and stopped there.

A few days later I was able to acquire two boxes of American Eagle FMJ, so headed to the range again. I shot all 100 rounds with no problem except for one failure to feed at about 75 rounds. Simply shoved the slide forward to chamber the round, and it fired OK. So that's where I am with the Kahr right now.

I fed the rest of the box of MFS into my Walthers PPK/S, and they fed and fired just fine except for one round that would not fire after it had failed first in the Kahr, then twice in the PPK/S. Needless to say, I'm not very impressed with the MFS ammo. I still have two more boxes of MFS, so will continue to feed it to my PPK/S.

Subsequently I've acquired a box of Mag-Tech FMJ for my next shooting session with the Kahr. I also have more Cor Bon and also some Mag-Tech +P carry ammo to try if all goes well with the FMJ. This will be my first shooting session with the night sights and laser sight, so there will be more to experience and learn I'm sure.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the pistol itself. Even though it is small, it seems to fit my grip well, and I am able to hold it just as confidently as I can the somewhat larger PPK/S. I also think the Kahr has about the same "kick" as the PPK/S, even though it is only half the weight.

That's today's news from here!

gb6491
03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forums:); nice looking pistol and an excellent first post!
Regards,
Greg

wyntrout
03-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi, berge. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the first report on your new P380. I'm glad for the report on the MFS ammo, as I'm sitting with 500 rounds of that and 200 of Aguila for my yet-to-come P380N. I also have 160 rounds of Bufalo Bore 90-grain JHP +P that I hope will shoot well in the P380. I first bought Hornady Critical Defense for CCW, but changed my mind and opted for the stouter +P fodder. It will be nice to try all that stuff out.
I got a slightly used PM9 in January -- DLC with NS and it kept me from going crazy waiting for the 380. Then I got a new PM45 DLC with NS that has become my main carry since it's only about 4 ounces more than the PM9 and fits the same holsters.
I look forward to the PM380 since it weighs just under 14 ounces fully loaded with 6+1, and is just a smidgen under the weight of my .22 TPH that I used to carry, with considerably more power.

I wonder if anyone else out there has tried the MFS ammo and had problems. That's supposed to be a good Hungarian company, but there have been a lot of different types of ammo imported to fill the "void" and demand over here.
Wynn:)

Bawanna
03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Welome berge, you'll like here. NIce gun and excellent report as stated previously. Seems we're up to about 5 Washingtonians now. What piece of Wa do you hail in. PM if you don't trust these other guys.
I'm in Monroe on the Gregoire side being held against my will. Long to move to the east Dino side one day before I cross the river.
Again, welcome have fun.

Armybrat
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi berge,

I'll echo the "nice gun" sentiments, but what Kahr isn't?

Don't have a P380 (already have a Ruger LCP & a KelTec P3AT), but one of my favorite pistols is my PM9. Am presently looking for a good deal on a CW45.

Was the Crimson Trace difficult to sight in? My brother has an LCP with a CT, but he's having trouble gettin' it right on the money.

mrsig239
03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Welcome from a fellow newbie. Nice looking pic.

recoilguy
03-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome to a truly good gun site. Enjoy your weapon and post often.

RCG

jocko
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Ok, I'll bit what is mfs fmj ammo. never heard of it. It sure seems to me being all the other brands worked fine that it was bad ammo. try WWB 100 pak at wal mart for around $23. good ammo, goes bang every time..

Bawanna
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok, I'll bit what is mfs fmj ammo. never heard of it. It sure seems to me being all the other brands worked fine that it was bad ammo. try WWB 100 pak at wal mart for around $23. good ammo, goes bang every time..

I was gonna ask that too but I didn't want to look DUMB.:( I see it coming, I'll wait for my hit.:19:

zena
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Welcome berge! Great post. And I,too, want to know how the install of the laser went.

berge
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
MFS is the brand name of the ammunition. The box reads MFS 2000 Magyar Loszergyarto Zrt, Hungarian Ammunition Manufacturing Inc. with a web site at MFS 2000 - Hungarian Ammunition Manufacturig Inc. (http://www.mfs2000.hu). I asked my local gun store from which I ordered my P380 to be sure to have 200 rounds of practice ammo and 40 rounds of personal defense ammo for me when I picked up my pistol. So, they had it ready, giving me the MFS for practice, and Corbon for personal defense.

The good news is I acquired some additional practice ammo of other brands, which worked OK in the P380. However, the MFS had many mis-fires as previously reported. I think if you do a search for "MFS" on this forum you will find some other reports of problems using MFS in the P380. The suggestion is the primers are of a harder material than U.S.-made and other primers, so do not reliably fire in the P380 (and perhaps other guns). I have not tried to shoot any more in my P380, but yesterday shot 12 more rounds of MFS in my PPK/S, and they all went "bang".

Primary thing I did at the range yesterday was to "sight in" my P380 with the new Crimson Trace laser and Trijicon night sights. As mentioned previously, I had just had the Trijicon sights installed by my local gunsmith, who used a laser bore sighting device to establish their positions. I then aligned my CT laser sights as best I could to the sight picture recommended in the CT instructions (i.e., just above the center of the front sight).

I used a bench rest as I wanted to hold the red laser dot as steady as possible for this "sighting in". I shot three targets with 6 rounds each. The center of the first group was a little low and to the right. So I adjusted the CT laser accordingly. The second group was good on elevation, and much better but still a little to the right. So I made a small additional adjustment to the windage, and the third group was centered right on. Checking again the sight picture of the laser with the night sights, I think the alignment is even better than when I originally tried to align them. I.e., the sight picture is just as it looks in the CT instructions, and the bullets are hitting dead on. So, I'm really pleased with the good job my local gunsmith did in installing and aligning the night sights, and the results of the shooting and laser alignment I did so that the gun is shooting right where I am pointing it.

I'm so impressed I now am wanting to get Trijicon night sights and a CT laser for my PPK/S!

Thanks for the many supportive welcoming comments to me, this newbe. :)