PDA

View Full Version : First time reloading and we need some advise.

AIRret
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
We have run into a problem.
We are using load data from "hogdon's 2013 annual reloading manual".
Here's the formula;
Win case, CCI 500 primer, Titegroup powder 4.4, Berry's 115gr RN bullet,
OAL 1.10.

My question is OAL; When I measure WWB they are 1.16 and when I measure Herterz it's 1.158. The ones we loaded look like there is bullet set back.

What do you think.
Thanks, all help is appreciated

Bawanna
01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Is that 1.10 specific to a round nose bullet in the Hodgon manual?

Your reload should be very similar to a factory round with the same type bullet.

I don't have any of my books here at work so I can't look and confirm or deny that OAL for correctness.

If they look like set back then something isn't right.

AIRret
01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
From the info in front of me the only difference is that the WWB is FMG and the Berry's is plated. I'm going to look at some other data.
Thanks

Bawanna
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I found some Hornady 9mm load data on line. It shows a minimum OAL of 1.095 and a maximum OAL of 1.169.

I'd match what factory you have and drop it in the chamber, give it a good finger push and then tip the barrel up and see if it falls back out on it's own. If it does, it's not too long.

AIRret
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Hey Bawanna, I'm glad you mentioned checking the bullets with the barrel and I had already done that. I learned that trick from the reading I've done. All is well with the barrel, the bullets fell out just fine. By the way we are going to put these rounds through my Sig 239. (My Khar pm9 is my EDC, plus various back up's especially in the winter when it's easy to get away with it).

I checked more data on line and found that Berry's plated bullets use round nose lead data, and that data says 1.10 OAL. The FMJ info says 1.16 (i.e. WWB)

We have been obsessively careful. In each and every bullet we checked the primer, weighed the powder checked the OAL and pushed it into a barrel and let it drop back out.

LORD I THINK WE JUST MIGHT BE READY!!

Ikeo74
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
1.10 is only the mimimum length, you can load them longer if they still do the chamber test and fit in your mag without bindind or dragging.

I load berrys @ 1.120 to 1.125 9mm 115 gr

AIRret
01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
1.10 is only the mimimum length, you can load them longer if they still do the chamber test and fit in your mag without bindind or dragging.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Is that true of all OAL "reload data"?

Bawanna
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Yes. Actually too long is safer than too short as long as they pass the chamber test and don't contact the rifling.

Ikeo's numbers sound better to me but I'm not intimate with 9mm. I know Kahr 45's favor slightly shorter OAL's by just a bit. Although I just loaded some the other night at spec length that hung up before and this time they didn't so I'm not 100% certain what's going on there. I'll know next range trip which hopefully will be soon, I'm very long overdue.

Ikeo74
01-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Manufactures Load data Measurements are always min for the bullet posted. And they are for the identical bullet in the post. Different bullet shapes will require a different Oal. Some manuals give a min setting and a Max setting. Max settings may not work in your gun, thats why you do the barrel test. My Kahrs will not function propertly at length of 1.145 or more, they stick in the barrell's rifling.
Max settings are posted because if you make them longer the bullet will not have suffecient grip in the case neck to hold them in the case without slipping. Most max lengths wont cycle in a automatic pistol.

If you load close to the min OAL length's you will not have cycling problems unless the charge is wrong too. Min charge amounts may not have enough pressure to complete the eject and reload cycle. It's best to choose a middle load to see how it works in your gun and then you can adjust the charge up or down to get the results you want.

AIRret
01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks Ikeo 74 I'm always learning. I can't express how great it is to be a part of this forum and be able to learn from the folks I've met here.
The OAL's we've got using the berry plated bullets were actually 1.107 and the charge is at
4.4 and 4.5 so we will see how they fly!!!!

I've been printing some of these tips and making a file.
Thanks

AIRret
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Ikeo, what powder do you use with Berry's?
We used Hodgdon's titegrou, but we also have IMR 700x, bullseye, winchester 231, and alliant 2400 magnum. We have a variety of guns and calibers, so we bought what we could (recently) before it all disappeared (at least for a while).

Ikeo74
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Ikeo, what powder do you use with Berry's?
We used Hodgdon's titegrou, but we also have IMR 700x, bullseye, winchester 231, and alliant 2400 magnum. We have a variety of guns and calibers, so we bought what we could (recently) before it all disappeared (at least for a while).

I am currently using Win 231 with a charge of 4.7 gr and some at 4.9 gr which is probably max charge for the Berrys 115 gr. I have used 700x but I don't have that load info available at this location. I also have used Unique and Longshot with good results.

AIRret
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks

Ikeo74
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Here is a safety tip for new and even old reloaders when it comes to the powder in your powder measurer.
I keep a black marking pen and some paper close to my bench. I "always" mark the measurer with the powder name and number that is inside the measurer. I do it by marking a Approximately 1/2" by 2" piece of paper with the powder idetification info and dropping this paper inside the measurer and on top of the powder, then put the lid back on. Keep the paper on top when you add more powder. If you do this you will never forget what powder is in the measurer and never mis-identify the powder when you want to pour it back into the original container and change to another powder. This is much better than taping a lable to the outside because you can forget to remove it when changing powders. You won't forget that one inside.:)

AIRret
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Safety first.
We have been at the range when a guy had a problem with a reload. Surprisingly, no one got hurt but he ruined a 1917 revolver.
I think we would have been reloading a couple of years ago if we weren't so worried about safety issues.

Bawanna
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Excellent plan. I until I got my progressive always emptied my powder measure back into the original container. Paranoid about moisture or contaminates. Since I haven't used any powder other than W231 in the progressive I've been leaving it in there.

MW surveyor
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
In addition to the note in the powder drop.............only have one powder on your bench at a time..............the powder that is in the powder drop!